Register now to get rid of these ads!

Open headers vs. Johnny Law

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by s.r.i., Nov 4, 2005.

1. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

I see a lot of "zoomies" on a lot of "traditional" cars (just trying to be politically correct,lol). Are you guys running them straight? Putting in baffles? Have you had much problems with Johnny Law? Have always built (ummmm, how can I say this without 300 PMs with rodders panties bunched up?) completely finished (ducks for cover) cars, but am liking the "traditional" cars and just am curious what (and how often) issues I will run into with straight pipes.

2. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

I had baffles in both my 40 pickup and now the modified.....

The ones in my ol pickup were welded in, but the ones I have in the modified, thanks to Brewsir are removeable.

3. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

How big a pipe? Any good (cheap) place to buy them? Most bike catalogs I see are like $35-$40 + PER baffle, and times 8, well there goes that idea.

4. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Ran baffles last year. Took 'em out for this year. Runs better and cooler. Just don't drive like an asshole and most police officers will smile and wave.

5. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

Mesa hires NOTHING but rookie cops, they see a rod the same as a honda. :mad:

6. NoSurf

NoSurf

Eyeball's website had a tech on how he did his zoomies with baffles. I will see if I can find the page.

7. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

Thanks, post it here or PM. Also, I have a cnc plasma, a tubing bender, and a tig, building pipes and even installing baffles are no biggie. More interested if you guys are buying the baffles (if so, where and how cheap),,,,, making the baffles (if so, how? what do they look like),,,, and if running open, have you had issues with cops.

8. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

And, just how effective are the bailingwire-and-SOSpad "inserts?"

9. raven

raven

Some guys use Harley baffles.
    Recently someone posted a Tech article about making their own.
    Real easy.
    Some tubing that will fit inside and some washers that fit over the tubing.
    Angle cutter to make some cuts and them a hammer to make some adjustments.
    Weld the washers on the tube and slip the tube/baffle into the headers.
    r

10. NoSurf

NoSurf

Well- I am not getting his yahoo page to load for some reason.

I think he used some smaller diameter pipe for the baffles and cut some "X"s in them. Then punched out the center of the X to bend it out into the flow. I know he made them removable with a bolt welded in.

From the pic on his profile of his 27t it looks like he doesn't have them on anymore.

11. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

Anyone have a pic/specs of one they made? Like I said, I have all the machinery a guy could want, so even cutting custom "washers" would be no effort. Just need to see one to get the idea. I will look for the article. Thanks.

12. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I've found this to be true.

13. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

What do I do? I'm an asshole?

14. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

Cool, found tons of pics, thanks. Still curious if any of you running open have been pulled over and what hassle did they give you?

15. wyatt

wyatt

what flatheadpete said....dah

16. Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Get yourself a DooRag and some sunglasses. Cop will think you're a dentist who's Harley is being upgraded and will figure your lawyer will make him show his DB meter training and calibration records in court.:cool:

17. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell

Just wondering, you think my mohawk and me flipping them off has something to do with being pulled over? Nevermind, silly thought, of course not, cops NEVER "profile".

18. skumbag

skumbag

how much cooler does it run? a buddy of mine cant figure out why his car runs so warm (190-200) he made his own baffles for his exahst. i wonder if that could cause it.

matt

19. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

I haven't done it yet buttt....I have a plan and a long 1/4" drill bit and am going to drill the zoomies from one end to the other and insert a piece of bar stock and tig a washer to it in each tube and put a wing on the front end of the stock with 2 holes in it and a screw.One hole they are closed up and relatively quiet,the other WFO BABY.LOL
    T.OUT

20. Meester P

Meester P

This is the type I use in my bike exhaust.
    Don't know the price of them but they are not difficult to make.
    john

Attached Files:

21. jalopy43

jalopy43
    Member Emeritus

They are what you make them...If you drive around being loud,and obnoxious,they will nail you. Drive them like you are making a subtle-high profile statement,and the chief himself,will give you a wave,and a smile(Iknow):DSparky

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      32.4 KB
      Views:
  22. s.r.i.

s.r.i.
    from Hell