Register now to get rid of these ads!

Open drive conversion for Banjo rear axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PunkRodder, May 8, 2008.

1. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Can anone tell me where I might find (see pic) an adapter for a lat 30's banjo rear end? I want to connect a standard drive shaft to a banjo.

Attached Files:

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Speedway sells 'em too.

3. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I got mine from Hot Rod Works. Quality.

4. PunkRodder

PunkRodder

Thanks fellas. Those parts are pretty spendy arent they? Any way to get out cheap or make your own?

5. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

If you are a machinist and don't value your time, I guess you could get one for less....

Some late-40s pickups have parts that might be compatible, depending on which pinion you have, but could be hard to find. The hard to find part is the reason people make the aftermarket parts.

6. kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

If you have a lathe and access to a TIG welder it's easy. Made my own in a couple of hours.

8. striper

striper

Yep, you can even do it with a MIG :eek::eek::eek:

Plenty of tech articles on here showing this. I did one, I think Lowsquire did one and the one I based mine on was done years ago by Smokey. Search them out.

9. the shadow

the shadow

dude, I have a 6 spline coupler thats ben welded to a 12 bolt chevy yoke by my welder at work (stick welded with Nyrod nickle alloy for cast to steel applications) I also have the steel tube adapter & new seal for the conversion. all you need to do is cut down and prep your old tube , I can give you the dimension (length) that I cut mine too so it all bolts up). I had one cut and ready to go (pic#3) but ended up going another route and used the tube stub for something else.
    I'll sell you this set up for $45.00 + shipping??
    even if your gonna run a ford driveshaft you can get u-joints that interchange chevy yokes to ford yokes!
    let me know, cause I can't use it anymore

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. lowsquire

lowsquire
    from Austin, TX

theres a deal .. buy that!!

11. Dan

Dan

I would like to try this conversion...what is that seal so I can get one at the parts house??? thanks-

12. AV8Paul

AV8Paul
    Member Emeritus

Get it directly from Hot Rod Works. They did the hard work developing it. The others are off shore knock off's.

13. overkillphil

overkillphil

Yeah, DON"T use the one from Speedway. It's sloppy junk, HRW or make your own.

14. Southfork

Southfork

Hm-m-m, I always thought that Wayne Atkinson developed it and sold it to the Hot rod Works. I could be wrong, however. I'm sure someone will correct me If I am.

15. joe hart

joe hart

Do you still have this conversion kit?

16. Remember the torque tube keeps the rear end from rotating. You will need to add some bars to keep the rear end from rotating. Just splitting and attaching the existing radius to the frame will not be strong enough.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
  17. 42merc

42merc

The last two posts were about a 10 year old thread.

18. lake_harley

lake_harley

How about a Model A rearend that's already been cleaned, bearings set, converted to open driveline and the brakes have been converted to hydraulic? Oh....and I just happen to have one like that for sale.;)

Lynn

19. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

READ THE DATE ON HIS POST = May 8 2008 Google will screw you over every time you find a link to the HAMB date wise.
    https://www.hotrodworks.com/ As mentioned in the thead back in 2008 still has the pieces you are hunting.

20. GearheadsQCE

GearheadsQCE
    Alliance Vendor

You guys should let @the shadow answer for himself. He may still have those parts and may want to off them.:)

21. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

Like had been posted Speedways kit is junk. Late 40’s pickups had a banjo rear with an open driveline. That shouldn’t be too hard to find

22. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

A good open drive ring gear and pinion for a late '40s pickup IS hard to find.

23. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

IIRC, '42->'47 Ford pu had the open driveline/banjo rear, they were leaf spring-sprung.
    FWIW; I have 2 of them; each = banjo, pinion shaft, seal-plate, n ujoint yoke. OEM ford pu.
    Was keeping them to make homemade qc's, but may not get to them anytime soon. $125 ea. + shipping.
    Marcus...

24. the shadow

the shadow

Sorry guys I sold that in the "for sale" section a long time ago. It was not hard to make if you have access to a machine shop and a good experienced welder as you need to join steel to iron (need nickel rod and slow cooling) seal was a SKF- 14247, the tube cap (seal retainer) was machined for the seal and was a press fit (interference fit) to the ID of the torque tube.

25. PHIL COOPY

PHIL COOPY
    Member Emeritus

I'm using a Speedway, so far it works fine. Had to replace the seal that I damaged installing it. Easy to get another and this time I lathed a seal driver of the proper size.

26. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I'm going to put this thread in my deep memory for later and then when I need it I'll forget it! Seriously, if you do this conversion do you keep the torque tube and the bones? Less work if you do I suppose.