Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Onward and downward

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by e z i, Mar 20, 2017.

1. e z i

e z i

I think I have the 31 sitting' about where she needs to be. The back tires are slightly under the fender edge.
    My buddy is fixing the rear fenders, so they're off right now.
    No, I'm not running half fender-less..
    Now I'm thinking about 3" outta the pillars would be proper.
    Thoughts? IMAG0631.jpg IMAG0634.jpg

kiwijeff likes this.
  2. belair

belair

Looking good. Three inches is as Goldilocks said, is juuust right.

3. looking good from here......

4. Cut that Hot Rod :D

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. brady1929

brady1929

6. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't know man. I am normally the first guy to say chop it but I am sort of digging the look you have right there. I am thinking the stock height shows off the killer rake really well. I am good either way, nothing better than a chopped Model "A" .....love it.

7. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Leave it be. She has a killer stance, I dont think you need to do anything else.

Fitnessguy likes this.
  8. push_rod

push_rod

[​IMG]

Here's a photo of a 1929 five window with a three inch chop; too much in my opinion. I've seen two inch chops that looked a lot better.
    It's your car, do what you want. I'd leave it stock height. I've been slapping together my 1930 Sportcoupe to sell; every time I climb into it I have to duck down. I'm 5'-10" tall, and my coupes roof is stock height.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  9. Bader2

Bader2

[​IMG]i think thats more than three,mine is 2-3/4" yours looks like 4",or more.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  10. push_rod

push_rod

[​IMG]

Here's a vintage photo. Stock height with the right rake can look really cool.

11. I agree not chopped gives it a better attitude. ;)

olscrounger likes this.
  12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

yea, but you need 15" wheels and full wheelcovers to pull that look off, no self-respecting HAMBer will do THAT!:eek:

13. I would sans the wheel covers. :D

Never cared for wheel covers, for me pull 'em off instant hotrod. ;)

I still run 15s on about everything. But I have been known to run 15s and 14s.

14. push_rod

push_rod

You could be right. That photo showed up on my local community Facebook group. When I commented on it, the owners sister claimed her brother said it was a three inch chop. There's currently a 1929 Coupe body for sale on the H.A.M.B. With a four inch chop; it does look like the same chop as the photo I posted. The chop on your '29 looks just right. The best chopped model A's I've seen all had less than three inches taken out. It's my opinion, that unless you're building a salt flat racer, only chop enough out of the top to improve the proportions, not to make it look chopped (Otherwise the car will look like Godzilla sat on its roof!).

[​IMG]

Four inch chop.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
    porknbeaner and lothiandon1940 like this.
  15. There is actually a ratio that gets used that is about perfect. i can never remember what it is when I want to but someone will remember and post it. Maybe @falcongeorge will know it he's good with that sort of thing.

16. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

The golden mean or golden ratio. Dates back to Euclid.
    I've posted SO MANY, LITERALLY THOUSANDS of period photos of REAL hot rods with wheelcovers over the years, I just cant even be bothered with dispelling all the HAMB history revisionist rubbish anymore, so I'll just pretend you didn't say that...;):D
    Sufficient to say, if you are here to try to find out how old hot rods looked back in the day, you are in the wrong place.

17. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

If there's Brylcream on the headliner you chopped it too much!

18. I know that hub caps were the rule, I just never liked them. Not even when they were still cool.

You are correct hub caps were the name of the game at least until custom wheels became affordable(after the last recession of the '50s) then it was mixed bag, wheels, wheels with spyders, wheels with or without. Could have been that the "lost generation" and their experimentation with mind altering substances had something to do with that. :D

The old man always ran hubcaps. clear up until he died unless he had wheels. he always gave me a hard time about not running them. They were more his style than mine perhaps because he was there from the later '30s, so he was part of the game from moderately early on until the end.

falcongeorge likes this.
  19. Bader2

Bader2

20. e z i

e z i

IMAG0609.jpg Thanks for the feed back. I'll probably leave it be for now, and just concentrate on getting it up and driving for the summer.
    Then maybe next fall, when I take it back apart to paint it, I'll think more on whacking on it..:)