Register now to get rid of these ads!

Only if you have "one tool" made in U.S.A.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by firstnomad, Jun 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Recently I went to our local Sears store here in A.C., KS., and there wasn't a clerk in sight. Finally one decided to check out the Store, and upon seeing me He said "may I help you" ? My reply was ..."only if you have any tools in here that are made in the U.S.A. He returned to what he was doing, and I did the same. Sad state we are in, don't you think?

2. Steve-Cook

Steve-Cook
    from Garner, NC

3. Deuces

Deuces

Thanks Steve!!!

4. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

maybe you said it like a dick and he probably only get's paid 7.50 an hour,,cant blame the guy....<<<(talk about a sad state..how is a person supposed to live on $7.50 an hour when gas is around $4.00 a gallon,,now thats a sad state>>>>

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011

5. Rob3865

Rob3865

6. Channel-Loc pliers are still made in USA. Channel-Loc makes the best wire crimping tool/wire cutter that you can buy.

7. DamnYankeesKustoms

DamnYankeesKustoms

I bought a MAC air hammer couple months ago, thinking I was "buying American". Upon later inspection, I noticed a little tiny sticker on the bottom that say's " assembled in U.S.A. with global parts". I was pissed to say the least.

8. 53 hemi

53 hemi

The way I understand it, all craftsman hand tools are forged in the USA by the Danaher corporation. On that other thread some people are saying they have some wrenches with made in Japan on them. Strange. I've got to go to Sears on Saturday to replace a socket and will definitely be checking out the forging stamps. All my craftsman hands tools ( mostly all bought within the last seven years ) say forged in USA.

9. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

I'll agree with him getting paid more if he's doing a skilled job (Which I'm sorry, he isn't)....or somehow I get to proportionately increase my hourly rate accordingly for my skilled job. I lived on 8 bucks an hour in Burbank, CA for a whole year, AND bought a new truck, AND had a decent apartment, AND paid out the nose for gas. And why are you fixating on whether or not the guy was being a dick? I can't remember the last time I had a *good* shopping experience inside a Sears....maybe 25 years ago when I was buying toys.

10. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

well,that's because you are an AWESOME dude!! ..duh! :D

11. 90ssp

90ssp
    BANNED
    from dallas, ga

of course I would prefer to have everything I buy to be made in the U.S. but that seems like a rarity now....I'm just to the point now where I want the tool to work for what I bought it for and not break no matter where it is made. Especially now when money is tight.

12. Johnunit

Johnunit
    from Toronto

IMO, as far as quality there are other countries it can be from. Japan these days is ok, but that's about it from the far east. German, Swedish, British, Canadian (...well I AM a canuck), Australian, etc. Demanding purely "made in the USA" seems to be a bit pigheaded.

And yeah, if you walked up to some storegoon at Sears and went on some thing about "do you have any parts MADE IN THE USA" he probably did just look at you like you were wasting his time and walk away. How is he even supposed to respond to a comment like that, show you every american-made tool there?

13. Sears used to push "Made in USA" on their Craftsman brand tools.

And Walmart used to push "Buy American".

That was then, this is now.

14. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

And....he still misses the point. :rolleyes:

15. 345winder

345winder
    BANNED

that you lived like a "king" in california on 8 bucks an hour,,yeah, i "got " that lol,,,

(when was that? in the 70's??? this could be so easy to defunct your BS,but i'm not gonna even try,,,but for giggles,,$8X40 is what $320.00..$320X4 is$1280.00..so first off,,you found a place to rent in burbank for less than $1280 a month??? and then you said you bought a new truck??? ,,,not to mention food,ins,utilites,,etc...lol..like i said,,those were just figures off the top of my head... :D)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  16. williebill

williebill

couple of months ago,on the way to pullapart,I stopped in Sears to look for ratcheting wrenches..lots hanging on the hooks to choose from,about 75% Chinese,about 25 % USA,I think.I was surprised the US made % was that high. I bought a bigger set of USA made than I really needed,thought it might be my last chance to buy from Sears.
    Don't pick on the clerk at Sears..I've got an employee whose girlfriend works there,and from what she tells me,it sucks to work there..Not enough employees,everybody covers more than one department,they get screwed regularly on their commission,and the manager plays on Facebook all day,every day..

17. PhilJohnson

PhilJohnson

Just curious, when you made that 8 bucks an hour what decade was it :rolleyes:

18. kiljoy

kiljoy

although their customer service has declined in the last few years, i have never really had a bad experience shopping at Sears. My grandfather was a sears regional store manager on the east coast for Sears back in the late 50's and early 60's. over the years he has given me allot of craftsman tools so most of the tools i use today are pre-1970 craftsman. he has made me a craftsman guy and until the day comes when they stop exchanging tools in-store i will buy craftsman even if its only forged here. just my .2

19. Jeeze, everyone knows the clerk at Sears is responsible for the sourcing and manufacturing of all of their tools and equipment. That's why it's so uber cool to walk in, all puffed up and full of yourself and act like a dick. Well played. Who's next, blaming the janitor for the shitty fare at the food court?

20. Deuces

Deuces

Ok.... I'll play along... How about my 1/2 drive "Snap-On" torque wrench???? I've had mine for??? ever! And it hasn't failed me yet!.... Knock on wood!!!!:D

21. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That wasn't a nice thing to say. That was rude. If you want to complain about the lack of products made in the U.S.A., complain to Uncle Sam.

22. bonez

bonez
    from Slow lane

as long as its well made, i cant give a single fuck where its made, althou, made in china is mostly sinonimous w/ shit quality.
    On a side note, japan does nice stuff, i bought a few parts that were made in japan and they were beefy.

23. aaggie

aaggie

A lot of Snap On stuff is made in Canada and not all foriegn tools are crap. I have some very high end German screw drivers and metric tools that are as good as you can get.

I always buy American when possible but it doesn't guarantee quality.

24. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Thank goodness my dead horse beating stick is still made in the USA.

25. RichG

RichG

I wonder if they sell dead horses at Sears, this one is pretty worn out.

26. the-rodster

the-rodster

I hope that your other 5,239 posts have a point.

Rich

27. brad chevy

brad chevy

All the bitching about made in the U.S.A but when I set up at swapmeets and put vintage made in the U.S.A. tools out I either get low-ball offers or assholes saying they can pickup one cheaper at Harbor Freight.Put out a set of vintage curve jawed ViseGrips,had a $10 price on it and got nothing but thats to high.The rant about made in the U.S.A. tools is just about as bad as Save the old iron rants. Bitch about it but thats all.

28. If I had to name just one tool I have made in the USA it'd be my 5/8ths line wrench. One of the "cheapie" tool trucks stopped by the shop one day while I was trying to get the fuel line off a Q-jet carb. Everybody knows what a bitch that can be.
    The tool salesman handed me a brand X line wrench and I immediately sprung it open on the fitting...he frowned and grabbed another off the truck...I ruined it too.
    Half hour later the snap-on sales guy stopped and I bought one of his 5/8ths line wrenches. I put the guns to it and the line came loose without destroying the fitting nut. Little memories like that stick with guys who make their living with tools.

29. echale3

echale3

At least he didn't look you straight in the eye and say "I'm looking right at one right now...." :eek:

30. Chuckles Garage

Chuckles Garage
    Alliance Vendor

hahaha...BRAVO!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.