Register now to get rid of these ads!

Only Daughter wants to build a tribute to her Single Parent Father.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by radgirl, Aug 20, 2012.

1. radgirl

radgirl

I am looking for a Classic Car that I can restore in Honor of my Dad. My dad took on the arduous task of being a single parent to myself his only daughter. In short, he has sacrificed many things but mostly as a young man it was his toys. He was a fan of Holden Torana's and V8 Statemans and I remember him prouding revving the crap out of his cars in our driveway. He always dreamed of owning a classic but due to him working as an interstate truck driver to pay our mortgage and the money he then had to pay have me cared for always came before "play money" as he called it. He has owned several Triumph Bonneville Motorcycles, one of which I am lovingly restoring for him as I write. This year my dad purchased his 1st Harley and he is trekking around Asia with his wife. My dad is not well :( and he phoned me around a month ago to make sure his insurances were up to date in case he takes a turn for the worse while overseas so he can get his beloved wife and Motorcycle home. Things became even more realistic to me when he contacted me to let me know he was flying home for a 2 week visit (arriving 2nd Sept) and could I make sure my kids were ready for an quick vacation as it could be the last time he spends with them.

Instead of completely losing my shit like I would like to I have decided to purchase a Classic Rare Amazing vehicle to restore in honor of him. So, far I have found a Lincoln Zephyr in pretty crap condition but its all there. I want something that turns heads is rare as Rocking Horse Shit. I want to to hold its value as my dad has done for me my whole life. What do you think? It will cost me around $10K landed here in Aus. It seems a good price for something so rare (I believe there was only very few made?).

http://radsplaything.tumblr.com/

2. radgirl

radgirl

This is description that is with it

"This car came from back east and was tore apart around 1955 to be restored. It has gone thru 5 owners since. There is no title. It appears to be almost complete. Just a few pieces missing. The original V12 engine is froze from sitting. The car has the factory 3 speed with OD trans. The engine and trans appear to never been out of the car. They are complete, down to the air cleaner. There are extra parts...... Heads, non OD trans, intake, exhaust, cam, crank. I did find two small cancer holes in the floor board. About 2" by the tow board on each side. The body looks to be cancer free and extreamly straight. This would be a fantistic car to restore or Kustomize. There were only 178 Club Coupes made in 1941. Making it the rarest of all 1941 Zephyrs. This is even more rare than the 3 window."

3. not that one guy

not that one guy
    from So NV

Do you know anyone that can inspect the vehicle for you?

In the United States if "back east" is included in the description it could indicate a chance for rust or corrosion problems.

The other red flag is having no title.

Good luck on your project.

4. radgirl

radgirl

Really? Damn it. Its in a place called Yakima......sorry I giggled. I will look into the no title thing and see if there is a way around it? As for Rust I have asked for more pics but the rust factor doesnt bother me too much as long as its repairable.

5. alaskaal

alaskaal
    from Delaware

Kudos to you and a big Get well soon to your father. Wish ya'll the best

6. radgirl

radgirl

7. zep058

zep058

What a great thing to do for your dad. You wont be able to import into Oz without a title even with a bill of sale. You would need to pull it down and ship it as parts.

Take a look at usatoaus.com, they are an aussie company that do a lot of importing and have a for sale section of cars they have found and put up on their website. It has all the costs to import and they offer escrow service as well as sourcing. For the cost of the Zephyr you could find a car just as nice that just needs a clean up and use the time and money spent with your dad.

I am not affiliated with them but when I was looking at importing a car they were good to deal with.

All the best

8. ZRODZ

ZRODZ

Yakima is not "back east", it's on the dry side of Washington State (Eastern Washington, but west coast of the US. Cars from that side of the state can be fairly rust free. This could be a good find.

9. radgirl

radgirl

I will ship it as parts. Did you see the link I posted above? Crazy prices here.

10. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You could have a problem importing any motor vehicle without a valid title.

11. zep058

zep058

this one?

[​IMG]

Bloody lot of work there, but go for it.

Have you hit the classifieds here yet? here there's a few

12. You said your dad is not well,,Do you want him to ride in the car before it's too late?

Sorry to be blunt,,but if it were me I would find something interesting locally,,it sounds to me like there is a time table involved and waiting for a few months with a project floating around in a container on a ship is lost time,,add to that the time involved in the restoration,,,that takes a lot of time.

Whatever you decide to do I wish you and your dad the best. HRP

13. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just make sure this wasn't the one listed as a scam not long ago in Oregon.Washington and Oregon aren't that far apart.It might be worth it to have someone inspect this car to save some heartaches.Good luck, they are cool cars.

14. what a fine daughter you are to do somthing like this for your dad,

15. radgirl

radgirl

I have a 49 Merc we can ride in now. I am thinking as something I can work on with my kids. I used to work on bikes with my dad in the garage when I was young and loved it. Thats why I have his Triumph Bonneville. My boys are 21 and 18 and I thought something they can hands on restore with me in tribute to my dad will make it worth more to them in their hearts than something we can just purchase?

16. radgirl

radgirl

Can Pay Pal surely its legit?

17. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

I would have someone from the HAMB that lives up that way go and check it out for you before you fork out $10K on it.

18. radgirl

radgirl

19. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I would like to just say your Dad sounds like a hell of a guy. Any man (or woman) who steps up to the plate and singlehandedly raises a child is a great, strong person IMO. The fact you recognize that and want to do this in his honor shows he succeeded and raised a good Daughter. :) You may think he sacrified things for you, but I bet he feels that he was just doing what a good Father is expected to do.

I wish him well with his health issues.

Don

20. radgirl

radgirl

Thanks Don He is ONE HELL A GUY! AND THE WORLDS BEST DAD!

21. radgirl

radgirl

Well I am waiting on a reply from the seller. IF they give me address I am going to try to pay to have a local guy from a garage to just go out and see if its legit for me. Seems like the best way.

22. radgirl

radgirl

Thats the one. I do hope its legit.

23. wandi harry

wandi harry

G'day radgirl
    sounds like a good bloke and what you want to do is nice.
    Are you sure you want to go the whole import rebuild thing.
    A lot of time and money to get a project like a zephrer on the road as l am sure you are aware.
    What about a cool local classic or torana thats on the road ready to go.
    If it needs some work that can be tackled as a team later on.
    Hope everything works out for you.

24. Absolutely good for you on wanting to do this for your Pops.

But it seems like a whole LOT of places for this to go badly.

Imprting a old car with no title and then finding all the rare or non existant pieces and parts a half a world away.

I've sold a running titled Model A to a guy in Oz and it went well but he had an experienced importer/exporter of old cars here in the US to handle most of it for him.

Not trying to dissuade you but maybe something local would be more expedient.

But where ever you do....GOOD ON YOU!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  25. swimeasy

swimeasy

You are a cool kid!

26. Sphynx

Sphynx
    from Central Fl

Awsome. My son is 14 and I have raised him since he was about 2 by myself. I can say I would never trade the experience for any money or car. You are proof of a great father. Good luck and get well wishes to your dad.

27. radgirl

radgirl

Money is only made to be spent

28. radgirl

radgirl

I will let you in on a little secret.........Money is no option on this build and I have an import licence, have an engineer that works for me and I do Blue Slips. Cheeky I know but its how I roll. I can do most of the Fab work myself and Im a mechanic so I should be pretty sweet.

29. radgirl

radgirl

I guess what it all boils down to is I have my heart set on a Zephyr Coupe and here in Oz they are truly rare. I will organise memorial rides etc but right now I feel I need to throw myself into work to help get through the emotions that I don't really want to face. My dad is a very happy man, he is happily married to woman only a few years older than me (has been for almost 20 years) His remainder of time will be spent travelling around Asia until he falls of his bike.

30. bowlingball

bowlingball
    from Australia

do you have a single twin sister?????,,,,best of luck and keep us all posted ,,,ive a few friends up your way (North Haven) that i visit from time to time ,,,i hope to see the Zephyr cruising up that way next time im there