Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Only 15 First Hot Rod Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by v8juice, Jan 26, 2014.

1. summersshow

summersshow
    from NC

Looking at your progress pics I wanna give you some pointers... SLOW DOWN when your welding... Your getting to much heat in it. dont try to make an entire bead in one shot... Heres the easiest way to do it... Use spot welds and move around the piece just doing spot welds. put enough in to hold your patch in, than split all the spots in half by putting another spot weld in the middle of each one, skipping every other... Using some tig welding gloves (the thin kind of welding gloves) if you put your hand on the metal (not the weld) and your hand is hot through the glove than you need to let it cool... warping can be difficult to fix...
    Proud to hearmore younger guys are getting in to it... I started when i was 13 and its a long learning process but my best advice is to listen and never think you know everything.

2. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

^^^true

Visit YouTube often..plenty of good tech stuff there... Some bad too but more oftentimes it will really help you learn.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Since the kid lives in Maine, rust is the number one killer (and anywhere on the east coast )...and the frame pictures on this Plym does not surprise me...I think he's on the right track replacing the whole frame...

Stay with it youngster...you've got a good start and are finding out that an automotive " good deal" may not be such a deal after all...

R-

4. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

I've thought about your project a lot this morning. You are at a cross roads. In my opinion you have several options.

1. Bail. You have discovered significant chassis damage. That coupled with the body damage makes this a very labor intensive project. If a shop was going to fix that car it would cost tens of thousands. The same effort and the same money when it's all said and done can build a more desirable car. There is no dishonor to bail on this one if you feel it's too far gone. Parting out whats good and scrapping the rest to recoup some of your investment may be the wisest choice.

2. Find another better Plymouth maybe like the little 3 window coupes of those years. Since you know first hand what and where the damage is, you'll know what to look for. Use your present car as a parts car.

3. Find a good donor chassis of the same type car.

4. Rebuild your current chassis and proceed with the build.

5. Find a donor chassis from another make/model. Do the research here take measurements. When it is all said and done it may have been easier to stay with a Plymouth Chassis.

5. v8juice

v8juice

Thanks for the welding tips summersshow. And thanks to everyone for the comments.

6. codeblu

codeblu

Good luck with your Plymouth. You seem articulate and willing to listen and learn, a lot of guys your age come on here and think they have it all figured out. From start to finish everything you could possibly need to know is on this forum. Carry on.

Attached Files:

7. Go man go. Very cool to see a young guy with drive. Good luck!

8. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

I think Option 4 that @F-ONE presented is the way to go. It's not as bad as it sounds. You can drill holes, cut steel and weld, right? That's all you need to re-build or repair the frame out of rectangular tubing.

From your pictures, it really doesn't look THAT bad. You can repair that frame. The busted section - replace with box tubing (both sides). The weak section - remove that body mount, cut out the weak steel, weld in new steel (use the same box tubing cut into an L to get into the inside surface). Cut crossmember - replace with box tubing.

Fender1325 likes this.
  9. v8juice

v8juice

Hi everyone I got the engine mounted in an s10 frame and running. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1409541796.628618.jpg

turboroadster likes this.
  10. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Don't know how I missed this thread til now but like so many others have said, I'm truly impressed with your abilities at such a young age. You're so young you don't even know how young you are to be doing this stuff!

Try to remember this; it'll help you on this project but also in life:

"A smart man learns from his mistakes....but a wise man learns from OTHER men's mistakes"

You already knew to ask people that have already done what you want to do. You're well on your way to wisdom. You go kid! I'm enthused FOR you.

11. jodell

jodell
    from Irvine, CA

+1 Dan in Pasadena V8Juice is off to a good start. Slowly and methodically he is doing the right things to make a nice hot rod. Definitely don't be afraid to take a step back if you don't like how a repair turns out....cut or grind it out and start again. Patience will pay off way more than speed.

Jefff

12. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Great score on the car and the all the parts off of craigslist. If you have any like minded friends you should get them involved in your project, it's always good to have a second or third set of hands around especially when you go to install that engine and drive train. Remember, you are going to make mistakes, thats OK, we all do, you never stop learning.

13. v8juice

v8juice

Here's the engine running

14. v8juice

v8juice

Do you guys know whether the stock 7.5 rear end is going to be strong enough for the 318. I'm thinking about an explorer rear end.

15. missysdad1

missysdad1

Congratulations! It lives! Feels good, doesn't it!

Since you've got the car apart you might as well look at other rear end options. I used a 9" in my own Plymouth when I swapped in a 318 just for peace of mind. Mine was from a full-size Ford passenger car and was the exact same width as the Plymouth with the same bolt pattern. 3.25:1 gears were already in it and proved perfect for cruising. Had nice big drum brakes too.

Hint: Don't make the mistake of putting a high numerical rear end ratio (3.5:1, 3.73:1, 3.9:1, 4.10:1, etc) under your Plymouth unless you plan on using an overdrive transmission. These ratios will help performance around town but will drive you crazy on the turnpike.

16. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

If the stock rear was good for a pick up why wouldn't it be good enough to your car? You gonna be running moonshine, or towing a live stock trailer? I would use it as is until or unless you break it. What are your plans for fabing body and sheet metal supports?

17. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

Keep up the good work. My advice to you would be to simply keep at it . Do something on your project every day even if it is the simplest thing . What you don't want to do is to loose your momentum and interest which can easily happen if you set the project aside.

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

V8 juice my hat is off to you. I am eating my words, you are doing a great job there working with that thrashed out heap.

I am sure when you are done you will have a great car, in fact I don't think there is anything you can't do.

Am VERY impressed to see you wearing ear protection, gloves, and I am sure when you weld, long sleeves and eye protection. Most of us took many years, and too many injuries to get as smart as you are now.

19. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

You will be fine as far as registration goes. You won't legally be allowed to register it as an Antique since it is modified, but you can get a regular registration as a 49 Plymouth . You won't be able to register as a Street Rod since it is after 1948. So as you build , keep in mind that it will have to pass state inspection.
    From your video it looks like you have a helper ....your Dad maybe. Do you know about the swap meets in Amherst NH? There is an automotive swap meet there the last Sunday of every month . I know there will be one in September and possibly in October. It is a great place to find parts. It would be a haul for you from Bangor , probably about 4 hours. I agree with the post about the rear end....leave it as is and see how it goes. Unless you need bragging rights there is no need for a 9-inch behind a 318. The 318 is an excellent choice by the way.
    Keep up the good work . There is a lot of interest here as you can see so keep us posted. John

20. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Are you running a 4bbl on that 318? Does it have a lumpy cam? It sounds pretty nasty!

I had a 2bbl and a 2:71 rear in my 71 Plymouth and it was a bit of a bore unless I was on the highway. I was looking to swap in a 3:23 or a 3:55 posi rear end.

I think you're probably fine with the rear you've got as long as your 318 isn't WAY built up.

21. camerl2009

camerl2009

it seems like this work comes natural to you keep it up. that rear end should be ok with the engine

22. v8juice

v8juice

My dad is just the camera man as my mom is scared of my engine. He tries to help me a little bit but being a carpenter he hasn't been able to help much. I learned about all this stuff from the internet and books. I'd like to go to that swap meet but as my parents aren't into cars they probably won't drive me.

23. v8juice

v8juice

It's just a 2bbl on the bone stock fury engine. The only add ons are some block hugger headers and a new starter. It currently has open headers which is why it sounds nasty:D. I should probably determine the gear ratio in the s10 rear. I read that most 4cyl s10s had 4.10s? I know I'll be doing a lot of highway driving so this probably wouldn't be good for gas mileage?

By the way thanks to all of you for the positive comments they really help me carry on with this project.

patmanta likes this.
  24. v8juice

v8juice

Well the s10 rear is a 4.10. I used an online calculator and with a 2.73 at 70 the rpms will be 2400. I can get the 2.73 and a posi from a newer camaro. I also painted the whole frame in primer next comes the final coat of paint then I can start mounting the body.

25. Stormtron

Stormtron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great job man! Keep up the good work!

26. jetcycles

jetcycles

Your level of determination is almost unheard of in guys your age these days. . .I'm further impressed by the fact that you're teaching yourself everything as you don't come from a hot rodding family. If you'll PM me your mailing address, I'd like to send you a DVD that Rocco gave to me a few years ago at Austin Speed Shop. It's nothing special, but it should provide a little motivation and might just teach you a tip or two.

27. DRD57

DRD57

I'm impressed with your determination and willingness to learn the skills needed to tackle this project. Keep up the good work.

28. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Well, do you have a lead on said 2.73 posi, or do you need to find it? It's not a bad idea, but I wouldn't hold your build up until you find one.

The 2.73/2bbl combo will certainly keep you out of trouble with the law I'd say, which is a good thing for a young driver. The 4.10, it might be way too much temptation & fun to try and light'em up and burn corners with... not a BAD thing per se but easy to get in trouble with, both with the law and... ditches, telephone poles etc... So what I'm getting at here is, make it fast when you've got some licensed driving time under your belt.

29. 4thhorseman

4thhorseman
    from SW Desert

Impressed with your drive and ability. Good job (handshake). Keep after it. You'll be cruising in no time.

30. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

good work man!! my first car was a 49 ply 4 door. everyone's gotta start somewhere and ur off to a great start. ask questions and have fun. good luck man!