Register now to get rid of these ads!

Online parts price jump

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tommythecat79, Feb 13, 2010.

1. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

I have been saving my pennies for awhile now in hopes of getting a P&J's complete front end setup for my 30' Coupe. Within the last couple of weeks the price has jumped up an average of 200 Bucks, I was just wondering if anyone else knew why in this so called recession all the online parts vendors decided to jack up their prices.

2. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

Tax checks are coming in? Funny how the price hikes fall in at the same time. I was going to buy a metal brake and the price went up so now im looking for a used one.

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That's what happens when everything is more expensive. And everything has been going up. My overhead has increased by about 15% in the last year.

4. tommythecat79

tommythecat79

Yeah I didnt think about the tax season. And I know it probably sucks for the vendors as well but just a few weeks ago the average price for a front end was 16-17 hundred now its 19-21 that's a pretty hefty jump in a short time period. Its just kind of depressing that the value of my house is dropping the wages are frozen the job market is stale but everything else keeps going up.

5. thads31

thads31

When you borrow a trillion dollars from the Chinese to artificially encourage economic growth it tends to deflate the value of your currency, which promotes inflation. yeah.

6. I think there were a lot of online stuff "on sale" in January.

7. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

no one jacks prices because tax refunds are coming. vendors need to sell to people that aren't getting a refund as well. price increases are something a vendor hates to do in our hobby as we know people CAN live without our product. it's not like were selling food , medicine or gas. you would have to be on this side of the fence to really know why it happens. if you call the vendor he may still give you the old price or atleast a discount. i know i would! some profit is better than no profit.

8. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

ALSO the price on metal per ton is rising again, i have a business that uses metal , last year the prices were down, this year there have been two increases.

9. fuzzface

fuzzface

I agree price of metal is rising fast again, so anything with metal in should go up if people are paying close attention to it.

We used to get metal prices in our business and it would be good for 30 days but because it is going up so fast it is good for 24 hours only now. Some of our competition is selling it for less than they can buy it because they haven't gotten new inventory or kept up with the price change. They are in for a rude surprise when they do.

10. Bingo! Your dollar is still a dollar here but it is worth a lot less everywhere else.The more of the paper they print,the less its going to be worth.Inflation is a lot worse than they say because they are not counting the part of the economy that is going up the fastest,like food,etc.

11. Mudslinger

Mudslinger

You need to hit a gun show and look at the price hikes for the tax refunds.
    December the sales are all over to clear stock a few months later the prices are higher.
    Copper was sky high and the vendors havent come down off the prices since then, atleast for my experiences.
    That goes for the paint supplies to. I was told at the counter when I asked why the price increase?
    Paints use oil, oil is going up so is our prices.
    I bought more paint online last year because of the B.S. price gouging.
    Online paint really didnt increase that much compared to local prices. Gas prices would go up and so would the epoxy primer I was buying about $25-$30 a gallon.

12. torchmann

torchmann
    BANNED
    from Omaha, Ne

Obama and Bush (aren't directly responsible for but) presided over a 20% increase in the money supply. It didn't go to the taxpayer it went to special interest that used it to consolidate market cap from the smaller fish. They are sitting on the equity until consumers consume again so they don't create deflation which would reduce their profits.
    It takes 5 years for legislative changes to cause an effect from the upper limit of the economy to trickle down to the little guy and another 5 years for that change to ping back through the economy to the global economic strongmen.
    The 20% increase in the currency supply is not created out of production. the 20% of the total currency supply is more like a stock split. 100% of all money becomes 80% of all money by the legal process not by economic growth and the 20% created gets it's value from the former 100% that was reduced to 80%.
    In other words, when they passed those bailouts, every dollar you had became 80 cents and 20 cents of your dollars were given to the wealthy to bail them out.
    The people who got the 20% of the money will get the same spendability out of it as your former 100% of the money. It will take some time to get it out of their hands. if they do it too fast the competition of those dollars for resources will create inflation. If they hold onto it too long the value of those dollars will be reduced because it will take time for people to realize their money is worth 20% less and that they need to get 20% more to maintain their lifestyle.
    It's important that the general public not be aware of how it works to allow the top players in the economy to move their equity from cash to assets before the cash depreciates in value.

Remember when the tech bubble burst? before that there were economists warning of a tech bubble and a coming correction.
    By the time the pundits were openly advising the public to get out of tech and invest in pharmaceutical and real estate, the major players who got out of tech when it was an expanding bubble were already out of tech and were the ones holding Pharma and realestate.
    It wasn't the homesteader or the poor ghetto mom in a ratty old house that caused the real estate crisis it was commercial investment and flippers.
    Out of the 750 billion of the first bailout 60 billion would have bought and paid for every home not just foreclosed on but as little as one month behind on the mortgage...bought that property free and clear as a gift, not just brought it current on the note. only 60 billion in residential real estate was delinquent or in foreclosure.

The other 690 billion went to cover risky investments that profited banks and other large investors in previous years. large financial institutions were left holding the bag of these shady contracts after everyone else took the money and ran. Instead of closing out these risky investments, these financial institutions which took the bailout money used it to buy out their weaker competitors and take their creamy equity and dump the bad debt on the us taxpayer.

They don't want to lend that money out cheaply.
    It's ours but they will turn a profit on it from us before they give it back
    I'm not bringing up politics, I'm not pointing fingers and crying evil, it's just what happens. everyone out there is out to make the best of their situation.
    There isn't a fat rich man to say look at that guy, he's the one.
    Most stable publicly traded corporations are over a third owned by state and local governments, pension funds, unions and retirement accounts.
    It's alot more complicated than having "that guy" to blame.
    It's a headless Corpolithic structure that looks out for it's own best interest and influences politics taxes and law to it's interest.
    There isn't a conspiracy to charge more for anything. It's not a conspiracy it's more of an environment of like interest.
    If your "IN" and a made man you'll get a good deal and be paid well.
    They are the market, We are the consumers and our little companies are the suppliers to their market.

How it effects automotive is that industry which relies heavily on commercial debt to operate will have to pay more for the money and raw materials the industry needs.

We are coming out of a 5 year economic drought. We are getting water but someone is holding all the seed and owns a greater chunk of the farm.

I can say with faith and knowledge that they will have to release this money through consumer and industry investments within 5 years of the bailouts or it goes bad on them via deflation.
    The Fed will have to draw these funds back in within the full 10 year economic cycle after the bailouts to prevent the expanded currency base to become inflation.
    The Banks have to release the money into the economy before the fed can tax it back out.
    Were going to see more jobs, less dead weight, and as things improve a more stable economy but expect low interest rates to last another 5 years or less. As that money that's sitting idle is released either interest rates will have to rise or taxes will have to rise to stifle exuberant growth, get ready for it.

Not as I think it should be but how it apparently is...
    The goal of economic stewardship is profitability and national economic strength...to have things as low cost as possible for those at the top while keeping things as expensive as possible for those at the bottom while ensuring the people do not need state assistance (resulting in taxation of the wealthy) to survive.

just in case you were wondering why

13. the increase in prices is just the beginning ...wait a few years and see where it goes

that's why i have been getting rid of cash and buying what i need for now and in the future

14. Prices rise. That's the way it goes - you don't need an essay about the politics behind it to know 90% of politicians are assholes and the other 10% just haven't been bought off yet.

15. RichG

RichG

torchmann, that's the most coherent thing I think I've read from you...and correct to boot. Nicely put.