Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects One pack and one straight , which cylinders do you run straight?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hudson52sam, Oct 17, 2015.

1. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

Have read a few forums about the best exhaust for my 52 hudson wasp , allot people say just run em straight , then allot say the old 6 cylinder motors sound best with one glass pack and one straight , get the sounds together , sounds perfect , they say, right now I've got the stock with one straight all the way back , I like the way the one straight sounds, just hear so much about one pack and one straight is the way to go, but do you run the back 3 straight? Or the front , does it matter?

2. I've ever heard of this, but I don't see how it would matter if front or rear. In my opinion, you will only hear the three louder cylinders, so it will sound like it is running half speed.

3. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

There where a few forums I read , and they where saying its suppose to sound better then just running straights, it said when you just run straights on a older 6 cylinder that it sounds like a tractor, but if you do one straight and one glass pack it makes the perfect tone together

4. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

I disagree about the straight pipe , I've got one straight pipe and it sounds perfect to me

5. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

run 2 mufflers. Your motor will like the back pressure.

Hudson52sam likes this.
  6. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

7. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

This guy said this about ,
    Chili Phil

from Lakewood,CA

Yes, you will have uneven pressure. But it won't hurt your exhaust valves, if that's your concern. And the pulse is a big part of the cool tone. IMO, just straights sound like a piece of farm equipment. Or like a car with broken exhaust. But, done right, split exhaust manifold with a Glaspac and a straight has the Old Stylie snarl and crackle that the Bombas have perfected.

8. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

Here's another one from that forum

dadseh

from Melbourne, Australia

So whos runnin the old school cast manifold cut and welded?
    It was 2 cylinders on the front pipe and four on the original rear outlet, cant remember which one got the straight thru pipe treatment and the other the glasspack though.

9. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

Kids with no money did that stuff, usually flex pipe was involved. People that were serious about the quality of their finished car used a matched, or at least close, pair of mufflers. Keep in mind that in the "old days", trouble with the law prohibited loud ...

Hudson52sam likes this.
  10. I've had the Hudson sixes both ways, straight and one glasspack. My current Super 6 has a single long glasspack and I like it best. Has a nice sound outside but inside the car is quiet.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
    Hudson52sam likes this.
  11. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

What about spliting your cast manifold , by welding on another bottom piece and a plate in the inside , or are you better off to just buy the split headers ?

12. Hudson52sam

Hudson52sam

13. pdq67

pdq67

261 here, (2) smitties out the back! A classmate's older brother had a '49 to '52 'vert with this in it and I will never forget the sound of it as he pulled away from my '57, 283, 3-speed Chevy back then late one Sat. night as we were leaving town.

To this day thinking about it stands the hair up on the back of my neck, it was that pretty a sound!!

pdq67

Hudson52sam likes this.