Register now to get rid of these ads!

History One off 1950's fibeglass oddball help??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A32Flathead, Apr 19, 2021.

1. A friend of mine picked up this a few weeks back, as of yet, nobody has been able to figure out what it is, the only information so far was what he could gain from the seller as seen below. He's been in contact with the folks at Forgotten Fiberglass, but even they have no idea.

Click on the link for the album, and thanks for any assistance! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmVk9vx1

A fiberglass body mounted to a steel perimeter frame and is equipped with a 1953 241ci Dodge Red Ram Hemi V8 paired with a three-speed manual transmission. Additional details include a black soft top and bucket seats, independent front suspension, a Mopar export-market instrument cluster, and 15″ wheels with moon covers.

A Ford steering wheel frames a period tachometer and control knobs, while a central instrument panel from a European-export Dodge or DeSoto includes a 160-km/h speedometer as well as gauges for amperage, fuel level, oil pressure, and coolant temperature. The five-digit odometer shows just over 19k kilometers (~12k miles), with actual mileage unknown.

The 241ci Dodge Red Ram Hemi V8 retains a single carburetor as well as a generator, distributor, and radiator, and is paired with a three-speed manual gearbox. The engine is stamped D444984, which indicates 1953 production and corresponds with the number shown on the title. 175326042_307379784116674_2868490657228484142_n.jpg

Jet96, AHotRod, Cosmo50 and 7 others like this.
  2. 34Phil

34Phil

Woodill Wildfire

stillrunners likes this.
  3. SR100

SR100

It's not a Woodill.
    If Geoff doesn't recognize it, it's probably a one-off. Interesting contrast between the fully molded cockpit and the tiny hood. One is well-executed, the other pretty basic.
    I'm curious about the European cluster. Is it different than a Canadian one?
    The windshields look GMish to me, but too narrow to be from a U.S. car.

HEMI32, lurker mick and egads like this.
  4. DosCoupe

DosCoupe

5. It's a mystery? BTTT.

6. woodscaper

woodscaper

7. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Isn't that a Ford steering wheel? Lippy

8. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

For a one off, it really looks well done.

9. goldmountain

goldmountain

The speedometer cluster isn't Canadian. We didn't go metric until 1977.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Penetrator likes this.
  10. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

More pics would sure help. Looks really well made

11. squirrel

squirrel

from the link in the first post, a couple pics

unfortunately there isn't a real good overall picture of the car, photography is difficult.

1.jpg 2.jpg

I don't know what kind of help you expect, maybe an ad or brochure from an old magazine? It's probably a one off, but there might be another one somewhere in the world...not real likely.

Hopefully it'll get put into running driving condition, and get to go out in the world so folks can see it in person. Neat find!

Cosmo50 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. vinfab

vinfab

Dash from a 1953 Dodge Regent although not in Metric so maybe some kind of export version. 53 reg d copy.jpg

A32Flathead likes this.
  13. A32Flathead likes this.
  14. Thanks everyone. The mystery continues.

15. I did not know this.

16. Special Ed

Special Ed

You mentioned that it's titled. I'd start there ... ;)

What's the wheelbase?

SR100 likes this.
  17. Squablow

Squablow

It's neat, whatever it is. Looks like someone made a pretty detailed one-piece mold of the car's body shape and then just cut-in the hood and trunklid and doors, since as SR100 pointed out, the openings in the body are pretty crude compared to the rest of the molding of it.

I hope your friend is able to find more history. What would help is to pull the car out of the garage, stand at least 10 feet back from it, and get some better pictures. The current pictures are very choppy and at weird angles and don't show it's overall shape very well at all. Pics inside the trunk and under the hood would also help, especially in areas pertaining to how the body was manufactured, not just pics of the engine and the hole in the rear.

18. Yeah, the pics above are just the ones from the seller. Hopefully he will get some soon.

19. Literally as above, has anyone ever seen it or know who built it?

I figured with the hundreds of thousands of members on here, if someone recognized it, it might be helpful, and if not, may be able to point him in the right direction to continue the search.

We have a few tips already from this and a similar thread on a European forum (as its got the export dash, and TR3 seats.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Another friend unearthed this video!

Cosmo50, egads, lurker mick and 6 others like this.
  21. Besty34

Besty34

love it, hope you get to find out its history

A32Flathead likes this.
  22. sdluck

sdluck

Is it a victress?

23. The Kaiser, Henry J chassis was a pretty sophisticated piece. Used Ford IFS, well built frame etc

A32Flathead and kidcampbell71 like this.
  24. Special Ed

Special Ed

Nope.

A32Flathead likes this.
  25. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Based on the tail-lights, I'd say it's a "Ford". Those wheel covers, definitely J.C. Whitney.
    I am Butchy/56sedandelivery.

26. It's A Henry J, 1951.