Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects One of those projects that just does not want to go togather

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by junkyardjeff, Jul 21, 2018.

1. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The 460 that I had in my F100 had a vibration that drove me nuts so I traded it off for a 302 that I will use in another future project and I have been trying to convert a EFI 351 to a carb and it just does not want to go togather,intake bolts broke off in the heads but they have been at the machine shop for 2 months and still not done so I went to pick up another set and only checked one head and I have a miss matched pair and been playing phone tag trying to get the correct one. I finally said screw it and bought a complete carbed 351 that will just be cleaned,painted and installed,

Attached Files:

2. That Murphy and his laws.....

loudbang likes this.
  3. J. A. Miller

J. A. Miller
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Central NY

"Cleaned, painted and installed". We've all said that before. And then you see something that needs attention when you're cleaning. Just saying lol

loudbang and Hnstray like this.
  4. Sometimes you just got to cut your losses and start over fresh. Been there, done that.

5. Clay Belt

Clay Belt

I know the feeling. Fighting my bird tooth and nail to be on the road and stay there

6. Yep, my '51's half done, well sort of, and being driven.

7. Now more extra parts.

8. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes these cars just defy us at every turn but boy is it sweet when we beat the odds and get the darn things running! Hang in there!

9. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Yes I definately have extra parts,one set of those E7 heads will be going on the 351 in my 55 Sunliner since I think it has those junk late 70s heads when I change the cam and intake one winter. I think this engine I got will be a good one since all the plugs are the same color and look to have been burning good when it was last run and no excessive oil on the outside,unless I have to I am not going to open up the motor and its just going to get painted and installed and see how it does. The other 351 was a EFI engine and had to come apart and there is where the trouble started,broken intake bolts and since the timing chain cover had to be replaced it was going to get a timing chain set and since I had the pan off I checked the bearings and they were starting to show copper so it was bearing time and while it was apart a oil pump too so it was starting to snowball and would have more money in it then what I payed for the other and I have a 4x4 C-6 and transfer case to sell to get some money back. The 351 I took apart will eventually get rebuilt and installed in my Bronco.

10. Since its a version of the small block Ford, expect to have trouble getting pulleys to fit your situation, Ford loved to change those configurations for no apparent reason other than to mess with us.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  11. Deuces

Deuces

Make sure you use the right length pushrods for those E7 heads.... The Windsor I have is a roller motor.... I had order pushrods for a '93 F-250 to make the whole combo work.....

warhorseracing likes this.
  12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have all the pulleys and brackets figured out,I grabbed everything off of a 70 351 that should get me where I want to be. I have everything from the 85 that would work but want the older stuff.

13. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think everything from the late 70s heads should work with the E7s but do have the push rods from a 92 351 that will work.

Deuces likes this.
  14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The new motor is about ready to go in.

Attached Files:

Deuces and Terrible80 like this.
  15. Yep. Know exactly what you're talking about. My 32 sedan is close to being on the road but is kicking my ass at every opportunity. Bought glass at NSRA Knoxville, May 5th. Supposed to take 4 weeks, got it Saturday(!!) Rear glass is too small after a couple hours to put it in! Seems like EVERYTHING takes 4 times as long or you have to figure out a work around.