Register now to get rid of these ads!

One of the fathers of our hobby died today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magoozi, Mar 16, 2011.

1. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Carl Burnett passed away today, if you are asking yourself [ who's Carl Burnett ] just ask any old timer, they will tell you that he was one of the founding members of the Prowlers car club, they will also tell you that he was one of the founding members of the Early V-8 club, they will also tell you that he started Antique Automotive, one of the first bussiness that suplied parts for model T's model A's Early v-8 fords, all the way to mustangs. they will also tell you that he was one of the largest collectors of antique toys and trains.They will also tell you that he was eccensial in publishing the famed book " the Early V-8 Afair, they also tell you that he had the most complete and comprehensive model "a" mail order catalog in the country, They will also tell you that he was the first one to have a Antique and Classic consignment showroom, they will also tell you that he was one of the founders of Ford Row at the pomona swappmeet ,they will also tell you that he had the largest collection of rare ford accesorys. tomorow I'll tell you some more.

2. Thanks for that insight, you too are a great guy for the cause.
    Thanks !!
    Gary

3. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Carl Burnett had the largest collections of n.o.s. ford parts in the country, he would lend his parts to manufacturors, so they could reproduce them , thanks to him , we have parts for our cars today, In the fifties, Carl bought a little wooden yellow house at 4124 poplar st. in San Diego, it had a huge front yard that was a city block, he started selling used ford parts for model "T"'s and "A"'s and saved his pennys, When the Harra's collection came up for sale, him and his buddies pooled their money together and bought all the fords in the collection.He then started to build Antique Automotive, it was a huge building the size of a city block , It was magical place, the left side of the building was the museum, you could store your car there , or put it up for sale for a minimal fee if carl was succesful in selling it.on the right was the parts dept, and its glass cases that held n.o.s. parts and rare accessorys, and then their was the back yard, thats were all the project cars were and used parts, you could walk back there and dream all you wanted. I'll post some this evening.If any body has some pictures of this magical place , please post them.

4. I'd love to see that, Dick. Can't get enough old ford photos...sorry about Mr Burnette. R.I.P.

5. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

So, does this place of business still exist, and if so will it live on now that he is gone on to a better place ?

6. mike budniewski

mike budniewski

RIP CARL! we did a lot of toy train buying and selling in the later 70s.he wasalways at hershey doing more business intoys and trains than he did with car stuff. mike

7. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

RIP Mr. Carl Burnett. Thank you for all that you did for us.............and our illness

8. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Shit, I just talked to Carl a few months back ! Sorry to hear the news. RIP,Carl.

9. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sorry to hear about Carl, met him in the early 70's,---Neat guy! RIP.

10. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Carl sold the bussiness to a former employee, but the guy drove the bussiness to the ground in the mid nighties, Carl rented the building to a bussiness that restores and sells parts for mustangs, The historian for the prowlers has lots of pictures, but I need some time to track him down.I remember the first time I went to Antique Automotive, I was 15 and had just bought my first model "a", I used to hang out with the Dukes car Club in Tijuana, and they kept telling me storys aboat poplar st. and how the guy had anything you wanted for your model "A", They finaly took me there and I couldent belive my eyes, this was in the early seventies, I use to hitch rides all the way to Ensenada, cause I did'nt know where to buy parts for my car and I would scrounge for them there. from then on, anytime I could get my car to run , I would drive out there on Saterdays, you could walk in the showroom and dream that your car would look like the ones in the showroom one day, At that time I started buying model "A" bodies in Ensenada, and Carl would either buy them from me , or would rent me a spot in the back yard so I could sell them. I'll post some more tomorow.

11. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

The service for Carl Burnett will be Saterday March 26 at Glen Abby Mortuary in Chula Vista Calif. at one o-clock, it is on E -street 1 mile east of the 805 freeway.

12. 32fordroadster

32fordroadster
    from Wisconsin

13. 26 roadster

26 roadster

Rest in Peace Carl, Antique Automotive was a at least weekly stop while I was in San Diego.
    remember when John Wood lived out back?

14. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Yes those saterdays were sacred to anyone that was in to old cars in the sixties , seventies and eighties, legends like Joaquin Arnett, Bob Mccoy, Ed Steward , The golfer Gene Leitiler, Danny Brent, Don White, John Pical , Lee Brite, John Guilmet Sr. jimmy Ramirez, Dan Hotstetter, John La Belle, Fred labello, even Al unser, O. J. Simson, Don Orosco, Micky Tompson, Ken Anderson, Parneli Jones , yes it was the social cite for San Diego and surrounding areas, Carl would do his anual Christmas party, that was the main car show for San Diego for many many years , Carl was the speedy bill of that era, another quality he had , was that he was friends with his competeters, if he had alot of a certain item , he would trade with them, or they would agree on the market price for a certain item, he always told me " Miguel , they are not my enemies, their my allias, and you can't sell from a empty wagon," After a few years of begging, Carl gave me a job there, and in that way ,I had the oportunity to learn alot from him. He always used the original ford part numbers to stock his items, he wouldent have it any other way.In this store is were I met some of my current club members and friends, and of coarse my friend Norm Palmer, who let me restart the Lifters car club.

15. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I have started telling some of the San Diego clubs , to see if they could show up to his service saterday at one p.m., it would be really cool if some of us show up , hot rods and club jackets, to pay our respects.

16. The37Kid

The37Kid

Sorry to read of his passing, prayers going out to his family and friends. Magoozi, thank you for posting the history of Carl Burnett, and how he helped our hobby, I'm sure I've read a magazine feature on him over the years, wish I could have meet him.

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Carl was a legend as was his Antique Automotive on Poplar st. Yes, his Chrismas party was an annual must-do. I'd guess I started attending that in the late 70's. A weekend afternoon open house style event that had restored Fords and Hot Rods filling the nearby park and the street.
    To walk through his place was amazing. It was like a museum and heaven all in one. Showcases full of cool stuff, parts and sheetmetal hanging from the rafters. Out back was project cars and the warehouse was always fun. Consignment cars and gawking at all the project cars and restored cars that were being stored indoors by individuals.
    As a side note; You mentioned the late Lee Bright. I read that his Son recently passed.

18. lowkroozer

lowkroozer

R.I.P. Carl Burnett

19. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Yes I heard also, A fellow club member of mine owned a 28 p.u. that was built his dad, I still own a 52 vicky that him and his son worked on restoring, it was an old rod and custom survivor. Lynn williams just died a few months ago, he was good friends with carl.