Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods One for the HAMB detectives

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doodlrodz, Mar 9, 2018.

1. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^ I can't imagine someone sitting in that thing as it was built. Bob

2. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

'31 reconstuction 010.JPG grey dash 002.JPG It was ok as long as you didn't want to use 2nd gear or reverse. Found some rustoleum machinery grey in the locker it's actually a lot closer to a match than the stuff I had mixed. Here's a before and after.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  3. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Thought I'd get to roll it out and work on cutting out the old floor today but Mother nature had different ideas. Did get a set of early '60's mg. seats that show just enough wear. Couldn't bring myself to put the old broken plastic crap back in. I am saving them though just in case some gotta have it the way it was built guy comes along haha. grey dash 006.JPG paint 004.JPG

4. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Got the new stones mounted today, kept the old slicks even though they're shot they were original to the build I think, and figured maybe the next owner would want them if he was going to put it back "the way it was" stones 001.JPG

5. Beckley, West Virginia. Son'of'a'b"tch. The headwaters of my clan ... just buried my uncle last week. Bet he knew this guy. Worked at Grady Whitlock Ford, the mines, and ran an asphalt company. Them miners made some money, drank, screwed, and built some badazz' sh#t .... front pew of church every Sunday, ass in hot rods ... the days between. West Virginia by God !!

Congrats' Doodle' !!

6. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Damn, sounds like a hell of a man sorry for your loss, yeah they probably ran together back in the day.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Just wondering were the weld line is on the shortened bed? It is nicely done with the inner bead rectangle. Bob

8. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Bob, they did do a nice job on the outside but there's a very noticeable weld line on the inside, probably had a bed cover at one time.

9. DJCruiser

DJCruiser
    from CT

How about '54 Chevy #552 turquoise, close?

10. 55 Ford Gasser

55 Ford Gasser

When I bought the truck from the museum, there was a bed cover. White with a blue diamond in the middle. Wasn't in the best of shape but went with truck when I sold it. Also in bed was a gas tank, not sure what it was out of.

cactus1 likes this.
  11. johnc451

johnc451

Great truck!!!! Try looking at 50-51 Ford colors. I recall a few of them being close to that color when I was a kid. My brother painted his 41 Merc convert a very similar shade in mid to late 50's and I recall it was from those Ford years. Good luck with it.

12. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Thanks for the tips on the colors I'll check them out, 55 gasser I'll get a hold of Larry and see if he still has any of that stuff. I haven't chatted with him for a while I was afraid I was asking too many questions. That old truck must have been pretty fancy at one time, wish I could find an original pic. of it when built.

13. It's coming along nicely!

14. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Cactus1 I was just checking out your build thread, wow I don't feel like I have so much to do anymore. Nice job.

15. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
    cactus1 likes this.
  16. Haha! My truck build thread?

17. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Yeah the truck thread great job. Hollywood, I have a piece of the dash rail I could send you and see how close that paint is.

cactus1 likes this.
  18. brad2v likes this.
  19. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Just got through the first 10 pages of your roadster thread, what an amazing story and so fantastic that you found all that history and even have the original builder on here too. You're really making me rethink what to do with the pickup though.

cactus1 likes this.
  20. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Hollywood East, got a package in the mail today with a paint sample from some old Mobil paint. Man it's close but I think it has to have a little green in it. It matched pretty close on a piece of the dash I had cut off but I think that was brushed on by someone else trying to match things up. paint 006.JPG paint 012.JPG

cactus1 likes this.
  21. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Got the new front runners yesterday too and tried dash color # 5 , starting to think I just need to go a totally different color instead of trying to match what's there. paint 019.JPG paint 021.JPG paint 020.JPG paint 022.JPG
    Almost bought a rear spring that would lower the back end 4 " but at the last minute decided I kind of like the rake, still a little undecided need to roll it out to get a better look at it if the damn weather would break.

22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Gloss black would be a nice contrast to the white chassis. :rolleyes:Bob

23. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Haha, I think a black frame would be a nice contrast with the green?

24. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

More hard decisions, finding so much stuff that I feel really should be redone but at the same time feel a little guilty if I change a bunch of stuff that was done "back in the day" and forever change the appearance. I think the header alteration may be newer technology but have heard the old saying "if it doesn't fit find a bigger hammer " The front shock mounts are pretty ugly top and bottom. And the pedals are a real Rube Goldberg set up. Saving this back the way it was stuff is harder than I thought, not sure I'm cut out for this. paint 003.JPG paint 025.JPG paint 024.JPG

Hollywood-East likes this.
  25. The37Kid

The37Kid

If you remove those photos there are a lot less witnesses. It isn't a total rewrite of history of you make things look proper. Bob

26. the oil soup

the oil soup
    from Tucson,AZ

That color was common in the '60s and I remember painting a model car with it and also finding out what happens if you stick a nail in the top of the can, shot all over the ceiling in my bedroom. I still hate that color.

27. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

What was the color?

28. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Bob, I think you're right it isn't like this thing is a famous cover car or anything I bought an F-1 cross member and pedals today and gonna get some F-1 shock mounts too then let the fun begin, supposed to get all the way up into the 60's next week so out comes the cut off wheel and there's no looking back.

29. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

70 and sunny, long day of cutting and welding but we damn near have a floor and some support for the back of the cab. Couldn't resist doing a little mocking up at the end of the day, I think it just may turn into something you can drive, going to have to raise the steering column some (hope I don't have to pull the engine to do it) Felt really good to get back out there cutting shit up. floor 005.JPG floor 007.JPG floor 008.JPG floor 013.JPG floor 016.JPG floor 022.JPG

30. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

I totally love the stance and length of that truck.
    If it were mine I'd have to fix a lot (all) of those ugly welds and unsavory items. I wouldn't feel bad about changing its history, as youre doing it the correct/safe way and putting it back on the road to be seen. It'd be worse to leave it all as is and push it back into the corner of a shop and nobody gets to see it again.

brad2v likes this.