Register now to get rid of these ads!

Once again over heating issue

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Karl M, Jul 19, 2017.

1. Karl M

Karl M

Well I have been reading lots of posts on over heating. Here is my issue. I have a 350 in a 1959 Willys wagon, installed by the previous owner. It is over heating bad! What I have done..Flushed the system with H2o and vinegar, replaced the water pump, replaced the thermostat with a 165 degree one, it has a fan shroud, it has an electric push fan on the front of the radiator and a trany cooler, also the mechanical fan off the water pump, new hoses, new antifreeze, the radiator is a four core cooper one, pressure tested the radiator and back flushed-good flow , Pulled the thermostat out, I can see movement of fluid in the top of the radiator with cap off. I drive about five miles and the temp goes to 230 degrees. I reset the timing to 0 degrees, it was at 16 advanced. Still over heats bad.
    Should I now assume the water jackets are clogged, vehicle sat for eight years... Should I run some CLR through it ...? Motor does run strong. Any ideas or help would be great!

2. ol-nobull

ol-nobull

Hi. Just a guess but the 165 thermostadt could be the problem. It may not be slowing the water down enough to get enough cool air reduce the temp. Incorrect timing will also cause heating issues.
    look at the electric fan and see if the brackets and any shrouding around the electric fan may be blocking too much air. How far is your engine fan from the radiator and how many blades does it have? Looking at the engine fan it should have the blades centered both front to back and sideways in any shroud otherwise it will not work correctly.
    This might help us with a solution. Surely others will add their ideas.
    Good luck, Jimmie