Register now to get rid of these ads!

On Topic car question....235 Ignition question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Been away from the 235 for a while but it is sitting pretty on the stand waiting for a distributor.
    I have an old 216 dizzy but I am unsure if it will work in the 235. I have mixed emotions about the Pertronix. I have one in my 56 but I can't really say since it was in the car when I got it. Worked ok for now.

I know there are some guys I have talked to in the past that have used the HEI's in the 235 but I have never heard what the HEI was in originaly. Any ideas?

2. Root...called a local mechanic friend and asked him. He said the 216 will not really work. He said the Pertronix is "o.k." . He adapted a late '80's HEI on one of his motors and says it was great, but it had to have some machining first. He said NAPA carries rebuilt distributers and that would be a good way to go...that way you get all the goodies like the cap, rotor, points, vaccuum etc. Whatcha gonna do with the 235?

Dan

3. Roothawg

Roothawg

It's for that 50 I showed ya. I can start looking at getting her back on the road now that the Fly is pretty much complete.

I wonder how much machining and what they machined?

4. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got a 216 dizzy in a '61 235 that's in my '37 Chevy coupe. I wanted to keep the stock thumbscrew adjustable adv / retard unit. Only difference from a 235 dizzy is the cap is a smaller diameter on a 216, as well as the adjustable adv. assembly.

5. Root, I've got the dist. out of my 235 rebuilt complete with pertronix ignition. Maybe we can work out a trade, I need a trailer to haul some crap with. Call me.

6. Rocket88

Rocket88

I did that on my dad's 261. Use an hei from any 76? and up chevy straight 6.
    [​IMG]
    It works great. Even with the dual carbs and big cam it still flies through the local emissions test. The only problem is with size of it. It's really close to the heater box on the fenderwell (had to massage it slightly). Other then that it's been trouble free.

7. KCMongo

KCMongo
    from KC

Got a rebuilt one for my 235 from O'Really's Part number was 30-1609 price is $31.99 w/ a $30 Core (You can give them the old 216 one for the core).
    Mongo

8. Rocket88...that is one nice lookin' 6 you have there! Makes me glad I'm runnin' one in my project.

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

What kinda machine work did it require?

10. Hellfish

Hellfish

vintage dual point mallorys and accels come up on ebay frequently. Mallory also sells brand new 235 dual point distributors through Mr. Gasket and others for around $200.

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

I would just kinda like to get away from the points all together.

12. ESnacky6

ESnacky6

I believe I got my hei from

www.stoveboltengineco.com

they now offer a 'mini' hei
    for around $130 I believe...

I've had no problems with mine so far...

13. Rocket88

Rocket88

Root, I took a stock HEI to Buffalo Enterprises in Wash. He charged me $75 bucks to machine it. I think he supplies Stovebolt with some of their stuff.

14. Root...I'll email you George's # so you can talk to him about the machining stuff, since I don't know first hand. He's a real smart old school mechanic. As for Buffalo Enterprises...that guy is a grade A jerk. Almost had to fly out there and hit him over his thick head with a defective custom flywheel I got from him. Long story...short version...he ended up getting several other calls about the same model flywheel being crap so he begrudgingly sent me a new one. Of course by this time I had already payed for another from somewhere else, so I just ended up with an expensive paperweight. Sorry for the rant...I promised him I would make sure everyone knew how "wonderful" he is to do business with. [​IMG]