The Jalopy Journal
Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by heyitsnate, Nov 7, 2011.
glad to see you back at it
thanks for the update, your work looks great
Good to see you back Nate.Looking good......Kenneth.
those horn panels looks like they have an extra reveal in em, were they bent back really bad? or is that just a funny reflection?
they kind of do! i was wondering. most i see are less dramatic. i dont think it's damage, both sides are exactly the same and fit really well on the fender side.
The ones i had and sene are smooth, no reveal like that that i remember, ill see if i can get a look at my sisters 36 and see what they look like.
here's a couple i dug up on the web. one you can kind of see a similar reveal and one smooth. i'm going to look into this!
thanks titus. they look better smooth anyway. i know what i have to do now
Where did you get the panels? I see them all the time that are original and cheap. At the Monroe swap meet there was a pair for $20 each and the guy was actually asking me to make an offer. I didn't need them and had already spent $600 that day and just didn't need or want them. I would just bag those and get originals.
WOW dude that is looking awesome! Nate I will get a hold of you sorry I have been underground so long
Looking good nate. Glad to see you going again.
Glad to see you're at this again. I'm reading up and taking notes for when I will be doing this (hopefully this winter, if not sooner.) Truly an inspiration.
Hey dude. Sorry the radiator is wrong. I know that ruined your chi. Let me know How I can help out to make it right. DONT SELL YOUR 36!!!!!
so some buds came up from california and spent 2 days on the car. the first day was basically a wash after figuring out we had the wrong parts. day 2 we worked on the tailpan, ineer trunk, and kyle insisted we replace the jacked up drivers side quarter panel. first i changed some bracing around and removed the inner tailpan and the rust around it, kyle used dykem and scribes to mark the 1/4 cuts, cut out and handfiled the edges. the tailpan fits alright but we had to form the edges and creases of the bead, and i found a stretched edge from old damage. once i shrunk the area with a shrinking disc it came together way better. once we tacked in the tailpan we did the same with the 1/4 ...man its awesome to see the bodylines starting to look the way they're supposed to!
sorry for the bad pics, it was a thrash! i resized all of these pics. why are some still huge???
The other pictures were fine. The last one is small on my end. Great to see some progress!!!
Looks like you have some great friends.
Thanks for the update, looking good!
I was wondering how well the inner tail pan fit up to the trunk floor and wheel wells.
Really appreciate the time and effort you are spending on posting your build thread.
Man, seeing your progress has me excited to get to my 36!
thanks guys...rich b- the inner tailpan works but i would'nt call it easy. tbauer it's true, i have some awesome friends!
Looks good Nate!
I see almost a whole body appearing! Keep up the great work! Nice to have friends to help out!!!
Good to se your back working on the old girl.Keep it up.
Looking great Nate! Glad to see your progress!
i did'nt get all i wanted to do done today, but i did do about 8 feet of welding sheetmetal. i started my day making a wooden dolly to hammer on this wheelwell and get it back into shape without a lot of stretching. then i welded up the tailpan and quarter panel. pretty boring, but letting you know i'm still here! i've finally decided i'm going with a 1955-59 custom style. before the crazy steering wheels but right in there with metallic paint and lots of white upholstery. got a few tricks up my sleeve for the appointments like grill, headlights,etc. i'm doing those as a reward for all this stuff, so when this rust repair stuff is done it'll light up.
not much room behind the tailpan for h+d work, my plan is to lift the body once more off the floors and finish the trunk floor/ rear subrails anyway so i'll be able to knock around that weld some more.
i was'nt happy with yesterday, so i snuck to the shop this morning and got out the rest of the trunk floor. some jerk welded the crap out of the trunk supports, and wheelwell,so it was easier to remove a piece of both with the floor,seeing as both need rust repair anyway. also i can replace the rusted out cage nut and work ot the wheelweel lip....then i test fit my gas tank. yay!
Separate names with a comma.