Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects on the bandwagon Heyitsnate's 36 5w build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by heyitsnate, Nov 7, 2011.

1. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Whoa! I love the color! That thing looks great!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. Nate. I pieced mine togeather inside so its not perfect but if you need my pictures are still on my profile page. Good luck on her rear end.

3. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Thanks kip!

4. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I need the width measurement of the trunk floor flange to flange...anyone?

Attached Files:

5. Couldn't get at the bottom of the rear floor; but maybe these measurements might help. The first picture is the front of the rear floor section in a body. The second picture is the rear of the front floor section at the point it would overlap the rear section.
    front edge of rear floor.jpg
    rear edge of front floor.JPG

6. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Perfect! Thanks man!!!! Is that a headlight molded into a fender I see?

7. Is that a headlight molded into a fender I see?

Nope, just regular light buckets on a derelict coupe behind my kid's garage.

coupe.JPG

Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  8. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I like that derelict! Got some time in patching the wheelwell. Got to roll my car out in the open too

Attached Files:

rodder77 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  9. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

There's a reverse step in the rear wheel well panel just below the fender lip bead that lines up with a step in the inner tailpan, to get the narrowness of the sheet metal around the frame width I guess. My handmade panels are flat there so it either need to modify the inner tailpan flange or get creative with the panels. Fun fun.

10. telekenfun

telekenfun

To me what is cool is that art deco bumper guard,

11. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Pulled the inner tail pan out and deleted the step in the panel by making a relief cut, planishing it out and welded it back up. almost ready to put all this junk back together

Attached Files:

12. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I was on the edge of darkness today. This is the gut check side. by the end of it Things just started falling into place.piecing it back together isn't going as bad as I thought.

Attached Files:

bct likes this.
  13. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

This thread is a ghost town. Oh well.i talk to myself all the time anyway so no big deal. Worked on making some new trunk support panels.

Attached Files:

neilswheels and rodder77 like this.
  14. When talking to your self you will not get any stupid answers:confused:.Nice job on the support panels Nate.

15. lewk

lewk
    from Mt

The new panels are looking good.

16. Outback

Outback
    from NE Vic

Don't give up on posting here :) we are just a quiet bunch, nice work by the way!

Sent via carrier pidgeon & smoke signals with the HAMB App

17. SMOKINFLATHEAD

SMOKINFLATHEAD
    from SOCAL

Hey Nate, I have seen a few pictures where you have employed hammerforms. I am very interested in where you learned. I looked and Ron Covell offers a DVD on the subject. I do a lot of sheet metal shaping, and want to move into trying this method when a part warrants. Any information would be great. Great job by the way! Very inspiring! Thank you. Jay

18. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I mostly use simple hammer forms when I need a curvy flange. I pretty much just searched Google and picked things up along the way here and there from metalshaping books. Here's a couple good books
    Professional sheet metal fabrication by Ed Barr. motorbooks workshop series

Full bore sheet metal by Mark Prosser and Bryan fuller

19. I check your thread almost daily. Often when I post I try to be funny but just end up sounding stoopid, that's why you haven't heard much from me :). Keep on banging!!

20. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

Looks great! Nice work on the metal fab. Keep up the good work and keep posting here, I'm watching! haha

21. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Haha thanks guys hopefully I'll make some bigger progress soon. I'm only able to give about 10 hours a week which isn't much for a full fendered rust bucket!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using H.A.M.B. mobile app

hotrodA likes this.
  22. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Got the inner tailpan modified and ready to drill and place cage nuts, and got a nice chunk of the drivers side fender lip tacked in. Got a new finger control tig thingy and I'm not really confident with it yet so I tacked it with a mig...it's gotta be a mess before success I guess...

Attached Files:

23. Back in town and back to following your thread, never fear! Keep up the great work!
    (It's looking like I'll have to remove my tail-pan to knock out the dents; not much
    room for whacking w/ a h & d..)

24. telekenfun

telekenfun

Nate, You continue to amaze me,with how you can suss out all those fitment issues to the making of a very creditable restoration. From where you started you must be contemplating color choices by now!
    Congrats on the finger control TIG, but don't let it intimidate you. I needed one to install the steel top in my coupe. I took to it immediately, and in fact I haven't used a pedal since, the finger control is just too handy. There are so many situations around restoration project that a foot pedal just isn't usable unless you were to put a guitar strap on the pedal and squeeze it between your ribs and arm pit and that would still be cumbersome. You'll get the hang of it in no time. What brand of unit did you get?
    Best Regards and good luck with all your endeavors, KB.

25. Ulu

Ulu
    from CenCal

I want to make a mouth control for the TIG torch. Bite hard for more amps. ;) Relax for a soft start.

Might double as a Jew's Harp too
    *TWANG* ;) HehHehHeh...

No, seriously, I think it would rock. Unless you chew tobacco & then it might be messy...

Out of position welding with a pedal seems difficult, and I don't wanna move my thumb or fingers when I'm striking a precise arc on a soft start.

Ummm...sorry for the hijack.

26. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Thanks kb. Actually yes, starting to obsess on the cosmetic plan. It's a thermal arc. I was setting my max amps too low so I would have to fully rotate the control to get to what I needed, I guess the trick is to set the max amps high so it's less travel to get to an effective arc and still be comfortable

27. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

got some patching in on the wheelwell done today, then made a profile template from my drake fender that bolts in the brace location so i can flip it and use it as a baseline for the other side. i installed the cage nuts in the drake side of the inner tailpan. the idea is to get the passenger side fitting nice, and mark measurements on the template, so everything can line up the same on the other side. the other side is completely out and this seemed like the easiest way to get some other measurements to cross reference. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] t

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

you can see this one is all out of wack. the peak and the reverse curve are crappy too.good thing i saved some cherry(ish) sedan fenders to sacrifice for the cause.
    [​IMG]

29. Uptown83

Uptown83

The rear fender braces help push the fender out correctly. I had to tweak one of mine, but when you take them off the fender will move in a bit. I'm just saying this because I don't think you could rely on the drake fender being perfect. But maybe it doesn't matter.

30. Roadsir

Roadsir

Nice work, lot of patience to save another old Ford!