Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects on the bandwagon Heyitsnate's 36 5w build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by heyitsnate, Nov 7, 2011.

1. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

so it's been awhile since I've done a car build, and I'm going through some health stuff so I warn you progress won't be crazy for a bit. I picked this up
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=633436
    and I figure now is as good a time as any for a build thread. I left off with the firewall cut out, I had a donor but it was too funky, so I decided to find a decent cowl , also with better inner lower cowl supports. all of mine are too bad to even see how they are supposed to be!
    while I was searching I made some things I needed. the roof had some damage
    [​IMG]
    and I had this sedan piece
    [​IMG]
    little cutting and cleaning and had this
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

The window opening was jacked at the b pillar also so I popped in the garnish molding to see the proper arch, marked the molding and followed the marks on my donor and got this
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    they're almost ready to go in, but I'd like to do the cowl first..since I didn't have it I made a hammerform for the panel below the decklid. I made it 1" longer than 1/2 the width.it'll do both sides.This pic is before finish sanding
    [​IMG]
    then I got a fairly decent 35 cowl and dropped everything to get the firewall out. I also removed the inner supports and cut some gnarly rust out.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I used part of the hammerform I made to do the arch on this piece.
    [​IMG]
    a little bending fitting filling and welding and had this. still needs a new top inside piece made and do the other side. I didn't want to sandblast it first as I was afraid my shape reference I cut out would disappear. now I can go to town...
    [​IMG]
    lined up against the other side. Plan is firewall, cowl supports and rockers Sound right? everything kind of stacks on each other. I'm open to suggestions.
    [​IMG]
    that's all for now, i know it sucks but at least I'll get my post count up!

4. Marcy

Marcy

Go Nate!

Marcy

5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

i like the start!

6. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

7. good start, keep it up.

8. I'm not worthy.....as my 36' weeps....

9. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I'm liking it! Is a "'50's high school boy hot rod" still the plan for this build? If so, what are some of the things you've been brainstorming over? Details, details.. :cool:

Watching this one for sure.

10. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Just recovered from a minor surgery, gonna get back at it. I've been beating the bushes and shakin trees to find some tasty tricks for my 59A flatty, and matt seret is going to be doing a couple things here and there, the general plan is lots of finish work, but for now I'm ignoring the calori coupe, and moving towards dark paint , lots of chrome and white upholstery with a hot flathead and just a lil' rubber rake.

11. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

nothing really epic, took some cowl pieces to the sandblaster, then worked on my hammerform for the below decklid patch. I've been trying to make a's many patch pieces I can in between larger jobs or waiting for parts so I have them on hand throughout.
    doesn't look too bad but the inside edge is roached.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    after some working with a wooden bat, and a body hammer
    (excuse the mess)
    [​IMG]

12. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

still need to trim it , make a radius template for the shape and shrink it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Wow>>>>>>>> U r amazing.................. Nice job. If I had half your talent I might have my car done.

14. koolkemp

koolkemp

15. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

hi. I'm still alive. working 7 days a week but managed to get some
    time in. Once I got one cowl support back in shape I sandblasted em both and made repair sections for the other.
    [​IMG]
    the og's were toast but the subrail under it looks savable.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

fits better than the originals! still have a few mods to make on them but it's nice to see clean metal in there finally. I'll weld them in after I patch and weld the outside cowl and firewall.

16. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

I repaired the new firewall, sandblasted it and cleaned up some flaws. 2 more minor things to bump out, but I'm happy with the outcome. Here's a mockup.
    [​IMG]
    I know, nothing crazy so far...boring actually but I'll be cracking on the frame soon and it will get more interesting I promise.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  17. Looking good......

18. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

not much to look at this week. broke down the front end, and finished the firewall repairs, worked all of the flanges, still some trimming and fitting required but it's close now[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

reagen likes this.
  19. bct

bct

nice work man. keep it up.

20. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Thanks guys whatup Mel ! another hamb calendar supermodel haha!
    took a crack at making the inner cowl subrails. I made a template, and bent the edges. The lower curved edge I folded over with a crescent wrench slooowly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    there's 2 more pieces to make for this section . There's 3 sections for each side. Cowl, door, and b- pillar to fenderwell. these sections will allow me to finish the whole cowl/ firewall inside and out , I'm stoked!

21. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

next to the old piece. still a small piece to make, some tweaking and welding to do but this took about an hour to make. I only used paper and pen.a cutoff wheel, 2 pieces of wood(for the bends) body hammer and dollies, a crescent wrench and a round file.
    [​IMG]

22. Looks great Nate! As a former Tacoma Boy I have my eye on you. I wonder if that is one of my old bodies? Did you get it from a guy in Parkland? I used to own one a long time ago and sold it off there.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  23. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Haha thanks man. I moved here from San Francisco in late 2006, I think you had already moved? I got it from a friend in Seattle who's had it for over 10 years, not sure where he got it. I'm watching your build thread too, good stuff there!

24. Looking good so far. Here are some more details for you. Let me know if you need any other views.

IMG_2688b.jpg IMG_2694b.jpg

IMG_2695b.jpg IMG_2696b.jpg

IMG_2697b.jpg IMG_2699b.jpg

IMG_2701b.jpg IMG_2702b.jpg

Doug.

25. i need to get up there. will this year coming soon for sure.....i will buy a couple of cases of film before i roll out of course and bring the board, and wetsuit. i'm getting a truck from a coworker in January, so once that's all sorted out, i'm driving up. I am looking forward to a visit my old friend! i miss you guys!

26. oh, btw...it's looking good man! i don't have much in the way of parts to contribute, but i have a few finishing touch type things lyin' around when the time comes.

27. swissmike

swissmike

Great work as usual, Nate! I was lusting after a 36 for a long time before I ran across my 39 merc coupe. It's in decent shape compared to yours, but will need a complete frame-off. Redoing the A roadster currently with SHINY black paint. Hope to have it done by February for our show.
    I'll be following this - take care my friend!

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  28. heyitsnate

heyitsnate

Farmer! I might actually get in the water with you at shortys, and mike...good to hear from you- about time! That roadster is so awesome it deserves shiny paint, 39 merc is a car I wouldn't kick out bed for eating crackers!
    Recovering from a NASTY metal shaving in my eye. I was wearing glasses, it was a ricochet. if it hit me straight on it would have gone right through. Switching to full face shield.

29. the eye shaving bit....that's scary. I don't f-around when it comes to wire wheels, grinders, etc. anymore. Years ago, a contractor out at the pipelines i used to work at was wire-wheeling a pipe end, and a wire shot off his wheel, same deal...but it made it into his eye, which he lost as a result. good call on that. better to look goofy and be uncomfortable than be blind in one eye.