Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical On line cross references?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Jun 6, 2019.

1. I went to the local parts house today needing a new fan belt, I had the number and the brand but they said they could get me a belt but not the same brand.

Is there a site that I can access to make sure I get the right belt? or any other parts for that matter. HRP

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  2. theboss20

theboss20

So what is the issue? The parts house interchanged the number to a brand they carry...if they order it and it doesn't match when it comes in...you just refuse to take it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  3. fordrodsteven

fordrodsteven

I think you can find the information you want if you google "Gates belts cross reference chart"

HOTRODPRIMER and David Gersic like this.
  4. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Well I have never been on rockauto , but do they carry multiple brands? If your particular about a certain brand , I get it. You go with what you trust.

HOTRODPRIMER and lothiandon1940 like this.

5. mohead1

mohead1

Rockauto will usually give you several options for parts....like manufaturers, high/low grade...etc

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  6. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You used to be able to plug just about any brand and part number of belt/ hose/ filter into the NAPA website and it would give you an equivalent NAPA/ Balkamp part number. Does this not work any more?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  7. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

what year and make is it for? hahahaha

Rich S., HOTRODPRIMER and upspirate like this.
  8. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Nope. Worse, they only have some of what’s actually available. Ended up going to AutoZone last time I needed a belt.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  9. Just find the brand belts they carry, look up that belt company and most have cross references online. Some even have the latest catalog for early cars or the buyers guide, in pdf form and I download those and keep them on the computer. I have a lot of files on my old desktop (I also back up frequently).

Gates automotive:
    https://www.gates.com/us/en/power-transmission/v-belts/automotive-v-belts/c/577
    truck:
    https://www.gates.com/us/en/power-transmission/v-belts/truck-belts/c/578

Dayco:
    http://www.daycoproducts.com/online-catalog

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. lothiandon1940 likes this.
  11. I shop at my local auto parts plus store... not sure if they are nation wide or not.
    Last belt I needed the counter guy put the old belt on a plastic belt measuring device (not sure what that thing is called) and pulled me the correct size off the hooks on the wall... never even asked me year, make, model
    Sometimes I really like the analog solution
    Chappy

12. Belts are supposed to be easy,
    It can be kinda difficult more often than not.

My BIL needed belts for his car,,,
    I handed him a belt with a no part number visible and said “this one is about one inch too long” the parts store should be able to measure this one and come up with one an inch shorter.

What a cluster fuck that was to get a freaking belt,,, the parts house didn’t provide any training about measuring belts.

It ain’t easy

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  13. Danny, I usually use Rock Auto for getting parts for the newer crap I work on. They have a pretty good selection of manufacturers so you get a good selection and cross reference. I usually buy Good year or Gates but recently been having good luck with Bando on the Subaru jobs. Mitch.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  14. The issue is I am not going to pre pay for a unknown fan belt to replace a Gates belt. HRP

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  15. I hear ya, I'm helping out a friend with a old zips riser he picked up at a swap meet but it was devoid of any instructions and they have a recommended belt that has a proven track record. I have the part numbers and I know they work, I don't know if Brand X that the parts house has is anywhere near the right size. HRP

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  16. If they can't order a Gates belt, I think I would find a different store.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  17. Exactly! HRP

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  18. partssaloon

partssaloon

Belts are measured by the top circumference and width. So if you have a 1/2" wide top width belt you can take a 1/2" measuring tape around the pulley's and that is the length of belt you need (figure in the adjustment factor). So if you measured 50 1/2" and you want it with a top width of 1/2" the gates number would be 17505, (old number 9505). The first two digits are the width and the next digits are the length. (13505 would be 3/8 and 15505 would be 7/16). I still have the old number system on my mind so I'm use to 7505,8505,9505 .

19. Terrible80

Terrible80

My local bearing house is a gates distributor. Purvis Bearing.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  20. Depending on the number/ age of the belts. The numbering has changed. You used to could use the numbers on the belt to know the the length. They made some crazy changes and the doesn't work anymore. I use a long belt and blue tape to get close. Get one above and one under the length and it might work out.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  21. The Magic Ratchet

The Magic Ratchet

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  22. squirrel

squirrel

when I need to measure for a belt, I use a long belt that I cut, wrap it around and hold my finger where it overlaps. Then lay it out straight and measure with a tape measure. Usually works pretty well. But it still doesn't hurt to go one size bigger, one size smaller!

As for the interchange stuff...it can get fun. I was trying to figure out what belt to get as a spare for the Hudson, and ended up finding several different numbers, all different widths (it's somewhere around 11/16 to 7/8" wide, depending which book you look in).

23. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Oreilly's has some Gates belts, but not in all sizes. I looked it up online and called to make sure they had it in stock. I gave the kid the Gates number and asked him to check before I drove up there. He started asking me what it fit...I know, another rant for another thread. . Summit also has Dayco, a pretty good belt. Good Luck

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  24. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

I’ve learned that you can’t always trust cross reference charts or numbers.

I’ve experienced ordering a wide variety of different parts that were cross referenced and when they arrived it was clearly obvious that they weren’t even close and were not going to work.

Hoses, belts and lots of other parts too.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  25. I went to Oreilly's today and they cross referenced the Gate belt I wanted to a Dayco, I was told it's the same size.

I bought it and tried to install it, it's about a 1.5 inches too big. I'll be returning it tomorrow and look elsewhere. HRP

OLSKOOL57 likes this.
  26. What’s the gates number?

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. If other than the specified pulleys are in use the belts Zip says fit might not. just sayin'

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

You're at the mercy of someone who probably doesnt understand the system and what they are looking at/for. They should have been able to get you the correct belt. :(Dont limit yourself to auto parts stores if you really need a specific Gates belt.
    Goodyear doesnt make belts any more, all their stuff was bought out, moved to Mexico and is now sold under the Continental brand. ( So I've been told) I'm not happy they did that, but its still a pretty good belt.
    Dayco makes a pretty good belt, just have to get the right size.
    There are industrial belt suppliers that should have what you need. I'm not sure who you have in Anderson. We have used a company called Applied here at work, I'm sure there are others.
    Make sure you ask for the "X" version of an industrial belt. These are the ones with the notches. They will run cooler and last longer, especially if you're running them around a tight radius like an alternator pulley.
    Good Luck.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. The Gates parts # 7530 and I found it at NAPA. HRP

Rex_A_Lott and OLSKOOL57 like this.
  30. Fordors

Fordors

The Dayco belt you had purchased earlier should have had the same effective length (53”) if it was a 15530. Did you have a 15530 or was it a different number? Maybe the counter man sold you the wrong part.