Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Omaha Coupe 33 3w 9" chop, built in 1954 Salt, Drag, and Show

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tdog, Feb 16, 2021.

1. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Subscribed, really liked the video by Dice magazine on YouTube as well!

J.Ukrop, tdog and loudbang like this.
  2. I streaked over to T-dog's shop this evening in my 34 to see if there was anything new. Had a good time B.S.ing and bench racing. That's all I have to say about that.

3. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

I was gifted an original Omaha Jacks jacket from 1955 by a widow of an original member. The Jacks was the club the Bob Hartwell started to help finance his racing habit and run the Omaha Coupe . It’s is such an honor to be the caretaker of this relic. Click on the video to hear the story .

big duece, MUNCIE, J.Ukrop and 5 others like this.
  4. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Thank you for following along! Joey Ukrop did a fantastic job helping my friend John shoot all the photos for the DicE Magazine snd editing the video . It was an honor to be on their team that day ! Thanks again

5. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Your forgot to add . Help get me pointed in the right direction! Your welcome anytime brother

6. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Why an Olds in this car ......... for you experts ... this one is beneath you . But if your just learning the score like me . You may find it useful ...

tractorguy, Stogy, J.Ukrop and 4 others like this.
  7. You are staying right on it, the coupe is getting some amazing exposure- livin the dream - way to go, enjoy the journey.

8. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

You gotta post your latest score for the coupe on this thread for the H.A.M.B. world to see!

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a great journey that's evolving here...again remembering the 1st time I saw the b & w of this Coupe and here it is being resurrected...who'd of thought...just another Hamb Milestone in Excellence in my opinion...great job @tdog...

10. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for taking us on this journey with you Tom. Of all the lakes chopped historic cars I've seen the chop on this one is my fav, not sure why but it just seems more balanced to my eyes than some of the more famous cars. Keep the excellent work!

11. Stepping into Tom's shop is like stepping back 65 YEARS! Strange.

12. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Can’t replicate cool, wishing you all the best on the build. Hit the nail on the head for my next question about the jacket.

chryslerfan55, tdog, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  13. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Day late , Thank you ! Getting ready to start boxing the front rear of the frame . Designs are done waiting turn on plasma table. Hoping to
    Make some big moves on her soon ! Thanks for following..

14. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Joey , yes I am little behind ..... I am on it.
    I got an exclusive invite to check out Hondo’s stash . Hondo’s widow invited me over . Part of the bounty are these Gotha valve covers. Totally shocked to find them . I got lucky to find some other stuff too for the car . Planning to a video with Kay snd her daughter to talk about the amazing parts they allowed me first shot at these parts from an original Jacks 1955 member .

The second pair I picked up from Rock Star Gary in KC a couple weeks ago. The plan was to run those until I found a set here locally from an original Jacks member with the Gotha logo still on them.

4484A503-7D0A-4DAA-AD69-58D0D0BCE4C6.jpeg

52179B69-8778-455F-9184-CB5C82216285.jpeg

15. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Stogy,
    Never thought I would have the opportunity to own it after seeing it in the alley after 30 years ! So excited to get her going . A dream come true for me . Thanks for the kind words and following along !!!

16. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Thanks Pete ,,,
    Agreed ! It is my favorite too. My plan was to clone it . I hade a 34w in the shop that I traded in on the deal to get the real deal ..so blessed to have the real deal . The original builder who worked at Chet Herbert cams in LA before he moved to Omaha. He must have seen the Pierson bros coupe out in LA . Both chopped 9 “ . I do like the say the windshield is laid back on this one . No piece added in the top. Just lean her back! Thanks for the note !

Thor1, chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  17. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Rocky , I have cleaned up in the shop . You won’t have to take your life in your own hands next time your over. Even got the comfy chair waiting for you !

18. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Thanks Muncie, here is shot of the wife in it. So blessed to have this piece of 1955 Omaha Hot Rod History, and my wife ......
    CA2ACE07-CD32-4F63-B416-98BEB56DBC47.jpeg

Jet96, Dog_Patch, 31hotrodguy and 5 others like this.
  19. Wild guess, you showed her the jacket and she said thanks honey, right?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  20. CQQL........

Stogy, tdog, loudbang and 1 other person like this.
  21. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

I designed the rear frame plates to allow for an adjustable rear crossmember. The arc of the adjustability based on the arc of the length of the torque tube to the center lines of the rear snd . I probably will not need the brackets to hang down so far so after the car is finished and I figure out my range fron the tall 750 16s to the shorter 820 15s I can cut them off if needed . The photo with the crossmember 1E0EE685-3FCA-43C4-8E1A-E3A0D01D656D.jpeg mocked up is just for show. The crossmember is sitting on a pair of vise

22. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

View attachment 5062298
    Exactly, When Hondo’s widow and daughter met my wife while they were gifting me the jacket. They both Said “Oh she is going to look great in that” lost it right then ..... lol
    View attachment 5062299

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  23. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Here are some shots of the crossmember mocked up.

653B6D0C-2F3A-426F-914A-906B4CB9C1F8.jpeg DDCDC3A8-91C6-4DEE-B4AC-0A9385E91BC0.jpeg

24. Rear crossmember adjustment height "brackets" made right into the boxing plates..... pretty inventive, T.
    Was good to see you and your dad yesterday...he's got some great stories about rodding in Omaha in the 50s-60s.

AHotRod, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 3 others like this.
  25. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

5C10380C-2E07-4A92-A0CC-C908260E210A.jpeg Engine mounts for the 1949 303 Olds are finished . Ready to get the engine between the rails so I can start making the crossmember. And try to figure out the firewall.

26. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Thanks Rocky ! I hope it works . My pops has some stories ! Thanks for listing to him :)

27. TBG

TBG

love it!!!I'll be watching

chryslerfan55, tdog and Thor1 like this.
  28. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Here is video for the rear frame boxing plates with the adjustable rear crossmember . How I got them made . And shows the front suicide plate with interchangeable hats ...

AHotRod, Stogy, chryslerfan55 and 2 others like this.
  29. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

Thanks TBG! I appreciate it .

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. tdog

tdog
    from Omaha, NE

294AD588-0C0F-4754-8BBD-5043EBEE6160.jpeg Stopped by Sublime here in Omaha , seen my buddies Mikey Moss and Mike Murphy. Good dudes! I had Mikey weld on the brackets to the A crossmember for the suicide plate . This for all the marbles so I left it to true race car fabricator .