Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Oldsmobile rocket and transmission

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hotrodmeister, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Hotrodmeister

Hotrodmeister
    from Virginia

So I am trying to figure out who out there refurbishes or restores Oldsmobile Rockets. I want to get one that is ready to run an be bolted into a frame but do not know of anyone doing this. I know H&H is one of the go to shops for flatheads but I have not found an equivalent for Rockets. Anyone have any experience with this or know where to look?

2. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

You might start with a copy of this book or a similar one. Educate yourself and it probably has some sources that may still be around. There was a guy who is known for building the Olds stuff. He was in Ohio or Pa I think. Long wait and some complaints started surfacing about him not doing right by a few people. I'd be very careful about providing too much money up front. Surely there are some Olds websites on line as well.
    Looked on Facebook and seems to be a lot of Olds engines available. What size are you looking for? Saw a completely rebuilt one in Tennessee and an old 303 in original condition with the stock air filter.

https://www.amazon.com/Oldsmobile-V-8-Engines-Revised-Performance/dp/1613254954/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1FH3SUK56QB10&keywords=oldsmobile+engine+book&qid=1669219675&sprefix=Oldsmobile+engine,aps,83&sr=8-1&asin=1934709042&revisionId=&format=4&depth=1

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    Jim the Sweep and warbird1 like this.
  3. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any reputable machine shop / engine shop should be able to give you what you are looking for. I had a 54 Olds 324 done locally. There are multiple sources for Engine Kits which include all the bearings, pistons, rings, cam and associated parts. It will cost more than your basic small block Chevy but still not too awful.

Ross Racing is a big olds engine builder. Very expensive but a great place for Olds engines

Google search will be your friend on this

4. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

X38 likes this.

5. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Ross did mine. A1CFFB48-0CFC-40B5-B5B8-9D327A00A875.jpeg

Carlos Everhard, bchctybob and hrm2k like this.
  6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hotrodmeister.. By a book on Oldsmobile engines. If you know the year of it buy one year newer MotorsManual off e-bay. If you can buy an mechanical overhaul book on the same year car. Used are fine.
    It’s an air pump not rocket science. Any qualified auto machine shop can do anything the block or heads would need. Buy an engine stand and take it apart yourself. Any tools you buy will never add up to the labor costs of paying someone else to disassemble and reassemble it.
    You can purchase anything a machineshop can, maybe better with no mark up.
    Guys here can help or find a retired mechanic in your town who will and probably be happy to assist you. They are all bored to death watching TV. Don’t let them pick up heavy parts.
    If you do it buy “Best” gaskets… they are the best for vintage engines.
    I guarantee it won’t take 6 years.
    Added. Egge sells complete engine kits. $3-4000. It’s a start.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    leon bee and tubman like this.
  7. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Every time I called Tony he picked up and answers my questions.

saltracer219, bchctybob and hrm2k like this.
  9. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

There used to be a engine builder in Virginia who frequented the Pontiac Performance Years board. I think he did Oldsmobile and Pontiac engins exclusively. I'll try to find him over there.

10. Hotrodmeister

Hotrodmeister
    from Virginia

This is all helpful information, thanks

11. saltracer219

saltracer219

Tony has been good to me also, he does very high quality work and sells only top grade parts. Your not going to build an early Olds for anywhere near what you can do a S.B. Chev or Ford for, that being said the machining processes for a rebuild on an early Olds is really not much different than any other American V8 so any Automotive Machine Shop that has a decent reputation can machine it for you, it pays to do your research on shops in your area.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
    '28phonebooth likes this.