Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Oldsmobile pens

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by el_bole, Jun 30, 2014.

1. el_bole

el_bole

My Dad was a service writer for a Chevrolet dealership, South Bay Chevrolet, starting in the 60's. He was awarded these pens for excellent service in 1962. The Superman looking placard on the pens says "Oldsmobile GM parts".

He was also given a "GM" ring for sales achievement but he sold it when he was in a bind, oh well can't keep everything I guess, I'd sure like to have that. Just wanted to share and to see if any one else has pens similar to these and how did you get them.

Attached Files:

2. loudbang

loudbang

Never got any gold pens but we did get gold "plated" tools from Chrysler for going to mechanics training.

This is now 45 years old and still going strong as you can see from the crud on the handle. If you look closely you can still see the "gold" in the letters and on the knurling on the handle.

I think I got this 1/4 inch drive set, a 3/8 inch drive set, a spark plug ratchet set, and a torque wrench over the years.

They were nice to look at but after awhile I started using them daily and the plating wore off fairly quickly.

gold (1).jpg gold (2).jpg

3. Cool stuff, guys. I think I would have been tempted to save those tools, Loudbang, but then after all, they are tools.

loudbang likes this.
  4. el_bole

el_bole

Thanks for sharing! I was hoping to hear some more from others.....speaking of tools I have a Ford cresent wrench my grandfather gave my dad...ill post a pic later....

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. loudbang

loudbang

It was a tough choice but when you are making 99 CENTS an hour as an apprentice buying tools kills the budget right quick so I put them to use. :cool:

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  6. ..............................................I understand completely.

7. I've got a silver one with the Cadillac emblem on it. Got it in the 60s or 70s when I worked at a Pontiac-Cadillac dealership. Now I just gotta remember where I put it? They are Mark Cross pens.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  8. autobodyed

autobodyed
    from shelton ct

my father in law was general manager for fruitrich Cadillac-oldsmobile in Bridgeport ct. for like 25 years. started there sweeping floors after the service and climbed the ladder of success without a college education. he's got gold pens, rings, watches, key chains, you name it. one ring with the cadillac crest he still wears to this day, and he's 91 now! when he retired, mr. fruitrich told him he could have any car on the lot he wanted. he took a 1988 white on white deville. car ended up being a piece of shit, but he drove it until I wouldn't work on it anymore. broke his heart to get rid of it. I'm sure when he passes, i'll get all the stuff because his daughters think it's all junk!!

willbe and loudbang like this.
  9. el_bole

el_bole

That story reminds me of my Dad. By the way THANKS Guys for the info/stories I love it!!!

He started at an Olds dealership here in So Cal then onto Chevy...Cleaning cars, grease monkey, then service writer for many years....... You are going to inherit some cool stuff autobodyed....Oh the kids of today don't know whats what.

10. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

It's always nice when they honor you for your years of service to a company.

To many it's a small thing but to others it is recognition of your service and it is very important.

The pens are a very cool idea !!

Jimbo