Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects OLDSMOBILE J-2 found on the Titanic.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57olds, Jun 30, 2009.

1. 57olds

57olds
    from ohio

Ok not really, but it did look like it was down there with the Titanic.
    But now that I have your attention.

I just finished up another 1957 Olds J-2 set up.
    Here are spoem before and after pictures.
    Just when you think it's too rusty and too far gone, stay one her, she will come around.

Attached Files:

2. ROCKET88COUPE

ROCKET88COUPE
    from TEXAS USA

got my heart pumping toooooo fast

3. Hats with business suits should make a comeback! The 2 black stripes on the pavement say it all.

4. roddinron

roddinron

That is a beautiful car and one of my favorites from way back. I had an uncle who was an Oldsmobile dealer. In 1957, another uncle and aunt flew out to Pa. from Ca. for a visit. Before they left they bought a car from him exactly like that, same J2, same color, (except I believe it had red between the chrome trim instead of the black on yours). My parents rode back to Ca. with them, and my dad told me later that when they got out west they'd drive 120mph for hours, but he said at that speed, you could almost see the fuel gauge drop.
    I sure did love that car even though I was only 8 at the time.

5. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

wow ! outstanding work , especialy from what you started with the details on that setup look great ! nice work

6. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

Ah, thanks for the memory...... a perfect summer night in '64, the first time I 'rocked the Rocket' :) in a similar '57
    After HS, went to work at Fisher Body building Oldsmobiles, retired after 30 years in '99,
    My how quiclky the time has flown by!

7. F&J

F&J

J2 setups with the factory vac secondaries, vac switch and all the weird linkages are near impossible to find in a barn condition.

Most of them seem to now have non-tripower carbs and mech linkages.

Since you know J2; .. The "export" solid lifter J2 with dimpled rocker covers.. why was it named export, and how was it available? off the shelf in pieces, or factory installed?

8. Ahh thats a shine that takes patience or cash.... of which I have neither. Great work.

s.

9. 57olds

57olds
    from ohio

Hello: From what I hear the "J-2 Export" version was for racing use in drags and NASCAR, Oldsmobile offered the "export" package for the J-2, consisting of an Isky E-4 cam, solid lifters, adjustable rockers and forged pistons. When they use the term export, I expect they are saying really not use for street use...but whatever?
    The J-2 Export equipment was over-the-counter with factory part numbers. Cars did not come from the factory like this.
    Such engines had dimpled valve covers to clear the adjustable rockers. Isky obtained a pile of these covers, when I say a pile, I mean thousands. They had them chromed and sold them to hot rodders, so finding these covers on an engine today is no guarantee the rest of the goodies are inside.

10. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

OMG....what beautiful workmanship....kudos to you and your craftsmanship....one of things I love about car guys....their hands still tell the tale....and the car is unbelievable you should be proud!....OH!...... and the black stripes are very cool.........

11. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I bet you can do this with your eyes closed.