Register now to get rid of these ads!

..Oldsmobile 5 Speed HELP..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by turbo.a.c, Mar 31, 2007.

1. turbo.a.c

turbo.a.c
    from IL

Im picking up a oldsmobile 5 speed manual trans i think its late 70s. It has no bellhousing and i want to mate it with my buick 350 engine anyone know where to get a bellhousing for that or adapter plate...thanks.

2. thrasher

thrasher

any BOP bellhousing should work.

3. RacerRick

RacerRick

Which transmission is it and what is it from?

4. Longbox55

Longbox55

Olds 5 speed?? The only Olds 5 speeds I know of were the front drive transaxles used in some Cutlass and Firenza cars from the late '80s/early '90s. I've enver heard of a rear drive Olds with a 5 speed let alone one from the '70s.
    If you're looking for a 5 speed, try getting one from an S10 (T-5), and maybe a bellhousing from a Camaro with the 3.8. That should bolt up to your Buford.

5. turbo.a.c

turbo.a.c
    from IL

Im not completly sure ill know when i pick it up this week i know that really doesnt help you guys out without knowing that sorry.I just know that its a 5 speed trans from a late 70s Olds.

6. "R" is reverse, not race..............it doesn't count towards the count

7. DualQuad55

DualQuad55
    from NH

Olds ran some primitive 5 speeds in rear srive cars in the late 70's. I am not sure what body style they were in but I guess they were somewhat strong trannies. I once did some light work on a 'prostreet' pick up with a sbc and one of those trans in it. the owner said he never had any trouble with it. Finding parts may be a little tough though.

8. Longbox55

Longbox55

Must be rare, I've never seen one. Any idea on what vehicles they were in?

9. blazentrout

blazentrout

'78 cutlass with t-tops. the one i owned was silver with a black interor.if i remember right it was a 262 v8 and a w-32 sticker on the trunk.the guy at the towing company who brought it after i totaled it said it was rare and had only sean 2 other ones like it. hope that helps. Trout

10. Longbox55

Longbox55

Hmmm.. I'll admit, I kinda felt like I was losing it there. I kinda have a reputation as being a repoitory for useless (to most folks) auto knowlege. I'd just never heard of that tranny.

11. It may be a Borg Warner T-50. They were used in Monzas, Vegas, some Chevettes, their clones and GM A bodies. I have 2 of them. One has a broken rear housing if anyone wants to sell the part.
    Some old magazine articles claimed they were good to about 300 ft/lbs. Some applications (like my V8 Monza unit) gave a fairly close set of ratios in the lower 4 with a .7 or so OD in 5th.
    If you need to replace any bearings, a trip to a bearing supplier will be needed as parts catalogs don't list much if anything for them.

12. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have seen those trans in a 73 to 77 cutlass but it was behind a V6 so I doubt they are very strong. Jeff

13. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

A very weak trans. Was available in Olds with a V-6 and 260 V8 motors. I think they started in 73 and the last year was 79 that they were offered. Cutlass or small Starfire's only.

14. Were these like the Ford Van 3 speed OVERDRIVES?
    A four speed with an overdrive ratio as 4 th gear- that was merely a slight percentage higher than others 4th gears....OK but not intended for us :D rippin around on em much.

15. turbo.a.c

turbo.a.c
    from IL

Ill let you guys know for sure what it is from and out of. It sounds like this trans might not be to strong..?

16. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Cornfieldrodder is right on, it's a T-50, same as used in a monza. I think there were a couple hundred small V8 & 5 speed cutlasses made for a couple years like oldspert says

Definitely not something to seek out for swapping. If anything in that setup is desireable, it's the bellhousing and clutch.

17. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Have a brand new one here on the ranch. they had a goofy shift pattern too.
    Left/forward is R
    Back is 1st
    center forward is 2nd and so on. 2 thru 5th were the regular H shift pattern.
    The deal was is was like road race cars. 1st was only used while leaving the pits and the H pattern was used while out on the track. Mine came out of Oldsmobile Salvage at the factory before Salvage Sales were shut down.
    It uses the same belhousing as the t-10, muncies etc.

18. turbo.a.c

turbo.a.c
    from IL

So if i got a bellhousing for a T-10 it will work with it..?

19. Shane T.

Shane T.

Throw that thing in the garbage. Will not hold up to over 150 HP. German made and weak as hell if it's the same as the Monza one.

20. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Should work but see the post just above. These came in cars with not nearly enoough HP/Torque to pull themselves away from the curb.

21. Slonaker

Slonaker

I had a '79 Cutlass years ago. I never saw one in person, but I had a magazine ad for a "sport" version (or some similar name)of the Cutlass. It was an odd body style that I only saw a couple of, but I can't remember how it was different. i think the trunk was shaped different, and it might have been a four door. The ad said it was available with a 5 speed and a V8. My Gutless Cutlass had a 260 (I thing that was the displacement...it got swapped for a 350), so that is probably what came in it.

Slonaker

22. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

79 Cutlass' could be had with a 231 V-6 produced by Buick or a 260 2bbl produced by Oldsmobile or a 305 Chevrolet. Not sure but the 350 might have been in the Hurst Olds..

The goofy body your thinking of was the Salon. Kind of a fastback style. Looks like it was beat with an ugly stick. Bill Porterfield built one in 78-79 time frame that became the Hot Rod Mag. Street Machine of the Year.
    HotRodHarrys.com

23. Slonaker

Slonaker

24. tdoty

tdoty

Ah, the T-50. Had one of those in a 4-cylinder Monza back in high school. Don't know that I'd put one in anything with torque.

Tim D.

25. Tony

Tony

I had a buddy in high school who had a 76 cutlass with the 260 and a 5 speed.. Even though it was slow and ugly, it was cool just the same. His was the only one of that vintage i've ever seen.

Tony

26. DeucePhaeton

DeucePhaeton

Found this while snooping around..
    http://www.conversioncomp.co.nz/about.php

Off that site

"The smaller T50 5 speed gearbox are ideally suitable for Triumph Spitfire GT6, MGA, MGB conversion, and can handle up to 200BHP. These gearboxes come in 62 & 68mm input bearing sizes and therefore the conversion bell housing has to be machined to match the gearbox that is to be fitted. These gearboxes only weigh 27kgs and are ideally suited to the smaller classic cars up to 2.5L. The may be obtained from a Toyota Corolla 1600cc donor car or Sprinter."

There are different models of this but it'll tell ya what you can put in front of it as far as power.

27. turbo.a.c

turbo.a.c
    from IL

I got the trans its a borg warner trans it says on the side of it i thought these were good transmissions. The #s on it are 135800796 and it has "basic" on the side of it. I know its a 5 speed what do i need to mate it up to a buick 350..? Some of you guys were saying these were weak transmissions i thought they were tough what is it...?

28. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Actually, think everybody in this thread has told you it's weak. Doesn't seem to be much debate. T-50 is made by borg warner.

I'm guessing you have that T-50 confused with the T-5. They're not the same, T-5 is way stronger, but even T-5s are not that strong when abused. T-5 was used in V8 camaros and mustangs late 80s thru mid 90s.

Good luck