Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects *oldsboy*_T-sedan build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by oldsboy, Jan 11, 2011.

1. oldsboy

oldsboy

Timm thanks for the heads up! not a bad idea.... I wasn't sure if I wanted to cut and weld on them but this should be pretty simple.

2. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

This build is amazing!

Great job fella!

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I'd be Leary of cut/weld I just got mine hot and bent it. Figured with the way you have it now you wouldnt end up with funny ratios, arc or placement but just a dropped position.

Another thought would be to change up your pushrod/ linkage length in a way that "all the way up" is lower but then youve theoretically got a shorter throw and the bend in the arm hanging down underneath kinda weird.

I'd just cut, bend, drill.

4. oldsboy

oldsboy

As mentioned here is an update on the headlight mounts we worked on last weekend. The mount(s) need some finishing which should happen this week. I just got a little excited to bolt the headlights on, step back, and take a look as they have been in my closet for quite awhile now. So its nice to finally get them out in the daylight.

[​IMG]
    Brackets

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Welded but unfinished...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
    Shadow Creek likes this.
  5. oldsboy

oldsboy

Finished up the metal work on the headlight bar tonight, nothing like taking advantage of some cool temps in the garage/ shop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Feels good to have something to check off the list...

Shadow Creek and brEad like this.
  6. It doesn't matter how long it takes to get done as long as it comes out bitchin'. And this T sedan is very bitchin'. Great job. I am diggin' this build. I am glad you have a plan and are sticking with it.

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Awesome man :) looks real slick. Can't wait to see what you come up with next :)

8. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Everything about that T is perfection. I can't wait to see this up and driving.

No pressure, of course.. I know how that feels. Haha. :D

9. lowtruck

lowtruck
    from Omaha

Let's see that steering hoop. I'm still not completely convinced that I understand what you were telling me the other night. I need pictures.

10. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

11. oldsboy

oldsboy

Over the weekend I managed to finish up the steering assembly.

I started with making a steering hoop. I was going to attempt to drop a stock arm from speedway, but from a few other posts via the HAMB, I would have lost too much length in the drop to make it work. So, I had no choice but to come up with a custom arm.

Long story short I went through the calculations supplied from the Bishop-Tardel book which puts me in the "desired" range. So we'll see. I wanted to achieve a parallel relationship as well between the drag link and split wishbones in an effort to avoid bump-steer, thats why the arm seems pretty tall.

[​IMG]
    I had a some excellent guidance running the blue wrench...

[​IMG]

I did make an insert plate for the arm as well, just didn't have my camera on hand....nothing like a hole saw and a fresh cup of coffee to kick off the weekend.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
    brEad likes this.
  12. oldsboy

oldsboy

Steering assembled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last time assembled this season, but the first time the actual motor and trans have been mated in the car. So far a whole lot of issues. I need to shorten the shifter by about 4" though and move it over to the passengers side about 3-4" as well otherwise I'll be shifting through the steering wheel.

Can anyone provide some tips on this part, if you've done this before. I know at some point in the last 60 years its been done, but I'd like any type of heads up....

13. chaddilac

chaddilac

Very cool!!! Dig the steering setup!!

What's the strip on the firewall? I assume you added some to move the bottom down?

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

This is turning out incredible!!!! Might be one of my new favorite threads!!!

Here's one of my all time favorite T Sedan.....come to think of it besides you's it might be my only!

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      400.1 KB
      Views:
  15. oldsboy

oldsboy

You're on it! Since I raised the cowl I wanted to use the original firewall so I had to add material to it as well. This summer I was mostly taking advantage of my time by roughing everything in. With the intentions of this winter to clean it all up.

Its the strategy I have to work with since I have to do my work outside.

16. chaddilac

chaddilac

Oh shoot I forgot your moved the cowl up!!! It does match up way better than stock now that I'm looking at it!! Great job!

17. Dude your car is coming out awesome! I dig the headlight placement and the under-cowl structure!!! I'm gonna do something similar with my cowl....
    Joe

18. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

Super bitchin!

As for the shifter, get a seat in there and get comfortable with the steering wheel.
    Then heat and bend the shifter in a couple spots to make it work with your seating position.

....and to make it look cool.

19. oldsboy

oldsboy

20. oldsboy

oldsboy

Lightening holes!!! Just not so fun without a drill press....

SO I managed to get all of the steering components finish welded and have begun the clean up, but I figured why not punch a few more holes first.

[​IMG]

brEad likes this.
  21. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Best looking T sedan in a long time. Seriously.

22. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Meh' it's alright.

Haha someone's gotta make sure his head fits threw doors ;)

brEad likes this.
  23. oldsboy

oldsboy

Hahah, Thanks Timm! I now know I can rely on you to keep me grounded.

40Mike likes this.
  24. This thread/build is giving me big inspiration. Nice work on the car Oldsboy...

25. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Finally caught up on your progress. Looking VERY good, Ryan -- nice work!!!

Malcolm

26. oldsboy

oldsboy

Well it happened, the machinist called today and I have a case of "lifter valley crack" and from what I've read and what he has told me it doesn't sound too good. He mentioned its in an extremely thick area of material and isn't 100% confident of any fix. However everything else is good to go, the crank and rods how just need a home.

I'll update when I get the project back on track, I've got a lead on a 40 military flathead which I'll be checking out next weekend.

Nothing like flathead hunting on Thanksgiving.

If anyone has any info on '40 flatheads here's my other thread...
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=8354849#post8354849

27. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Well shit. I'll start looking around

28. ThirdGen

ThirdGen
    from Wales, ME

Haven't checked this build out in some time, things are progressing nicely. Damn good looking T!

29. RichG

RichG

Glad to see you're still motivated on this, bummer about the engine though. Good luck hunting down another one.

30. oldsboy

oldsboy

It's been a long few days... but I managed to snap some pictures of the crack in the block. Seems to be in a very odd location. There were also a few other standard cracks in the head studs; pretty typical but I thought I'd include them as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the good news is I've already found a replacement and at the machinist as of this morning. It's not a 59ab as I couldn't find a decent looking replacement. So I opted for an 8ba with the metal truck bellhousing. I should have enough room in front of the engine so I shouldn't have any clearance issues and if so then I'll just run the early distributor with early pumps. We'll see. Right now I'm just waiting to hear if the block is good before I make any real plans...

I'll add photos of the new block as soon as I can.