Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Olds valve train

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jjjmm56, Aug 1, 2017.

1. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

I'm thinking of running sbc lifters on my 303. I found that Pontiac 400 pushrods may work. Using these pushrods would compress the hyd lifter .090 which I think will be fine, I need to check how much the lifter will compress before bottoming out. I've read in some of the rocket threads that you want to have the 4 end pushrods with thru holes to aide in top end oiling. My main question is will it matter if all the pushrods have the thru hole? And if I need to plug holes what has worked for others using this setup. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. nada on the whole set up with holes. you will have way too much oil up top with the oil coming thru the Olds shaft and all the push rods. I am running 2 on each side at the ends per Tony's instructions and it has worked fine.
    Have you cleaned the shaft bores of the crud that builds up over the years? Necessary for sure.

3. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

I've got new shafts and rocker arms 1.8. What pushrods did you run?

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. As I recall I measured and ordered custom push rods as the Chevy lifters were a bit longer than the Olds units. Think I used an adj push rod for the measuring. It was several years ago now and the old memory is fading a bit....

5. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

The lifters aren't what's longer it's that the cup sits about a 1/4 higher in the lifter. I used a pushrod guage today and at zero lash the tool measured at 9.042 plus .060 for lifter preload puts finish pushrod at 9.102. Stock 400 pushrods are 9.136. I don't know if I can plug the thru holes with anything. I was thinking making steel plugs, heating the rod end and pressing the plug in. Then turn down whatever is sticking out on the lathe. Just a thought.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Push rods are easily made by Smith Or Manton. However Chevrolet push rods are available in increments of .010" from many manufacturers. Summit Jeg, Speedway, Crower, etc. list em. For our dirt engines we must have 8 or 10 sets. It's all about the correct geometry. Without adjustable rockers it's a pain...

7. jjjmm56

jjjmm56
    from FL.

The 400 pushrod is about an inch longer than a sbc.