Register now to get rid of these ads!

olds trans. speedometer cable?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jan bogert, Sep 22, 2013.

1. jan bogert

jan bogert

:confused:my brother built a '40 olds. coupe it has a hi-po 425 and turbo trans. from 1965. we can't find a place on the trans were the speedo cable would go. any help would be greatly appreciated. JAN

2. squirrel

squirrel

they ran it off the front wheel (like a VW) and not off the trans. GPS to the rescue....

3. jan bogert

jan bogert

thanks Squirrel, I never knew GM did that. good to know.

4. squirrel

squirrel

You could look at the back of the trans just in front of the tailhousing, driver side, see if there's a freeze plug installed in the trans where the gear would go. I don't remember if they cast the case without a hole, or if they plugged it. I think there is no hole, and it would be a bitch to drill the hole in the correct location.

5. jan bogert

jan bogert

he's going to install a new wiring harness this winter and go with the GPS. now theres no wiring harness, the car was ***** riged. but hes doing it over the right way. it has a steel tilt nose, someone used aluminum like the folding chairs have for the braces on the tilt nose. its a shame that theres guys out there that do things like shit. unbelieveable.

6. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I think Olds had the speedo hooked to the front wheel up to 1970,one thing nice about it was if you changed gear ratios you did not have to worry about the speedo being off. I think it was only on the full sized cars.