Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds to T-5= $$$ or rocket science?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by praisethelowered, Mar 10, 2010.

  1. praisethelowered
    Joined: Aug 14, 2003
    Posts: 1,103


    I have a 324 motor all put together, and want to put a T-5 behind it. I have to admit this is my first step into the manual trans world. ( I am a custom guy and always did automatics in the past so that I could put my free arm around my lady. . . what can I say?)

    There are numerous belhousings availble (Wilcap)that mate 324 olds to T-5 gearboxes for around $350 new.

    Why is the full kit from bendtsens $1250 when it includes a chevy clutch and pressure plate that most parts stores sell for $250? and a flywheel that replaces the $50 original?

    I am trying to figure out how to mate this motor and trans, and don't know enough to know whether there is a more affordable alternative that mixes old and new parts. I figure Bendtsens did the work to figure this out and they can charge what they want to, but I'll never get my car on the road if I have to come up with $1250 first.

    Isn't there a way to modify my original 3 speed belhousing and flywheel to work with the T-5 or is the geometry of all of these moving parts just more complicated than I realize?

    I read all of the olds motor posts but can't seem to make a complete shopping list that I can take to the swap meets and start scavenging. What do I need? . . .other than 1250 bucks?
  2. Paul
    Joined: Aug 29, 2002
    Posts: 15,584


    I've never had a T-5, don't they bolt up just like a typical Chevy transmission?
    if so and you can't find an old Olds to Chevy adapter
    order the bellhousing from Ross, Bendtsens, Wilcap or.. I think even Speedway has them now?
    use your stock flywheel and pressure plate with a Chevy disc, throwout bearing and fork

    'should be able to do it for less than half the kit price
  3. Ole don
    Joined: Dec 16, 2005
    Posts: 2,915

    Ole don

    If you already have an Olds stick bell housing, make your own adapter plate from what you have to the T5. If you do the work, the machinist will only cost a hundred bucks or so. There may already be a plate to adapt Chev trannies to the Olds bell.
  4. Hnstray
    Joined: Aug 23, 2009
    Posts: 12,233

    from Quincy, IL

    If you have the original Olds stick bellhousing you are halfway home. The bellhousing can be machined (bored out) in the center to accept the front bearing retainer/TO brg sleeve of the T5. You can drill and tap the Olds bellhousing for the T5 bolt pattern.
    The clutch fork may be modified to accomodate the T5 TO brg hub.

    Another combination that could work IF you don't have the original Olds bellhousing....get an Olds to early Ford adapter plate (about 3/8" thick), buy an early Ford to late GM adapter from Speedway.....comes in two versions, one with th early Ford pivot shaft for the TO bearing and a style that uses later GM Fork.

    I have the Olds to Ford plate. Also have stick Olds flywheel. If you can use either, PM me.


Share This Page

Register now to get rid of these ads!


Copyright © 1995-2021 The Jalopy Journal: Steal our stuff, we'll kick your teeth in. Terms of Service. Privacy Policy.

Atomic Industry
Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2014 XenForo Ltd.