Register now to get rid of these ads!

olds timing and advance ?s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jobbless, Aug 8, 2006.

1. jobbless

jobbless

i am going to the track tomorrow to run my 54 again ,, does anyone know what i should set my timing at?? it is advanced pretty far it runs great but pings,,, also should the advance be vaccume at idle or off idle, i have a edelbrock carb on it,, and not sure wich side of the carb to run the vaccume advance to,,, thanks john

2. skajaquada

skajaquada
    from SLC Utard

what engine?

to check timing, always disconnect the vacuum adv if it's there. leaving it will always give a faulty reading.

3. DrJ

DrJ

Run the vacuum on the driver's side of the carb.
    Those dampeners are notorious for being "spun" on the no longer attached rubber, with the timing marks off dozens of degrees.
    Your pinging leads me to think this may be your case.
    Find top dead center on #1 and confirm or re mark you dampener or replace it with a NEW or correctly rebuilt one before trying to time it with a light.
    (Still confirm TDC even on a new one.)
    If it's got one notch set it at the leading edge of the notch. if its got three notches, the middle notch.
    Set with vacuum disconnected and plugged at the carb as mentioned.
    Check points adjustment first.

IDLE RPM is only 400 in DRIVE. (Hydramatic)
    It should not "pull" or creap at idle. I set the ide on those by sticking my foot under the front wheel and turing it down slower till the car snt trying to roll over my foot any more...Do NOT rev it while doing this,,, it's real hard on the work bench in front of the car. :rolleyes:

4. jobbless

jobbless

it is a 1960 394 with a stick, i want to try to get all the power out of it as i can, thanks

5. DrJ

DrJ

You got flea medication for a dog?
    Yes.
    Good..

No, I don't have a dog I have a cat, will that work on my cat? ..

:mad:

Look it up yourself in your own antique repair books.