Register now to get rid of these ads!

"olds...Starter Switch-over Adapter kit" info please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nori, Dec 6, 2003.

1. nori

nori

I'm looking for an "olds...Starter Switch-over Adapter kit".
    and ,"Olds Oil ByPass Plate kit". for my 1956olds engine.
    It sells it from offenhauser. or Trans-Dapt.
    somebody know info ? please tell me . [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. BigJim394

BigJim394

As far as I know Trans Dapt doesn't make the starter changeover adapter anymore (or any real hot rod parts I think..they do 4WD stuff or something like that these days). You might find an old Trans Dapt adapter or oil filter bypass on ebay. I would not run a bypass. Run a remote oil filter if clearance is a problem. Olds engines cost a good amount to rebuild and it doesn't make much sense to me to not run an oil filter.
    I don't know if Offy is still making them either, but the old Offy ones do show up on ebay.
    I think someone said Wilcap may be still making them and maybe the oil filter remote plate, too, but I don't see them on the Wilcap website.

3. BigJim394

BigJim394

I'll give my friend Billy Belmont (Belmont's Rod & Custom, Dedham, MASS) a call tomorrow to see if he has what you are looking for.

Maybe Blownolds, Yorgatron, or CGkidd know where you might find these parts. I searched on ebay and could not find any of them on auction right now.

4. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I know they were made by Offenhauser, Wilcap, and Hildebrant. Maybe one or two others. The Hildebrant ones are rare. The Wilcap ones are thin and lightweight, but also prone to having cracks by the heavy starter hanging off them. All are prone to stripped threads from those heavy starters. If you want a lightweight 8-Lb starter, I can get you a mini hi-tork starter, but it is not a period piece. Looks pretty good, but it's not a '50's piece. Just depends on what you want. See my reply to your classified ad. Also see my comments on the oil filter relocation plate that you'll have to have.

What are you building? What's it all going in, and what era are you trying to capture? What look, what period? Pure era-perfect, or just want it all to look good?

5. nori

nori

thanks many text, 56OLDS coupe was found in Japan.
    When I found olds, there was no "Original lower flywheel housing",starter,some parts.I think, Someone take them away.
    sorry ,I had not seen "Original lower flywheel housing" and "olds...Starter Switch-over Adapter kit".
    I thought that it was very difficult to find "original lower fly wheel housing" and "starter".
    <<question>>,
    When "olds Starter Switch-over Adapter" is used Isn't "Original lower flywheel housing" needed?
    It cannot attach to engine stand, without flywheel housing.

yes,I want to put olds on my truck.(1932 ford),I knew "starter" becomes hit "steering box".
    I love old(50s) style, therefore I need generator. denso starter not real but I think it's good.

6. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

See my reply in the thread in the classifieds. Let us know if your steering is on the right or on the left.

7. nori

nori

lost_lower_flywheel_housing ,is it need ??

Attached Files:

8. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Use an aluminum starter cossover/switchover housing INSTEAD of the factory item.

The lower flywheel housing is the same thing. In other words, the starter switch-over adapter IS the lower flywheel housing, only made in aluminum and it puts the starter on the right hand side.

You will also need an oil filter relocation plate.

9. 56olds-ERDY

56olds-ERDY

a oil filter relocation plate would be fairly easy for a shop to make or you could tap the holes in the block.personaly i would englarge the holes,and tap holes for the oil line fittings.this is only if you are completly overhaling the motor.probly have a shop that can get the holes strait do it.there was a starter changer on e-bay a little while ago.they do come up now,and then.youll have to keep your ears,and eyes open.cool project!!
    eric

10. BigJim394

BigJim394

I spoke to Billy Belmont today and he does not have a starter switch over adapter, or an oil filter blockoff, or a remote filter adapter for our olds engine, but he expects to be getting a collection of vintage Olds stuff soon and those parts might be in there.
    He said nobody is reproducing the starter changeover.

There is a guy with an ad in Hemmings who sells adapters to allow spin on oil filters to be used on the early olds engines. Maybe some of you guys know (could be in the Speedway or PAW catalogs) if they sell a remote oil filter adapter that just screws on to a spin on filter mount. If they do, you could get the Olds adapter from the guy with the Hemmings ad and buy the other adapters, hoses and remote filter mount from a catalog.
    Here's the Hemmings ad:

1953-58 BUICK oil filter adapters for spin-on filters; also fit 1949-59 Oldsmobile and 1955-59 Pontiac, inquire with SASE. David Homstad, 7220 Upper 164th St, Rosemount, MN 55068, http://webpages.charter.net/dhomstad

11. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

nori,let me know if you can use the stock lower bellhousing,i have a spare i can send if you can pay the shipping P.S.welcome to the Rocketeers! [​IMG] -george

12. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

BTW the spin-on adaptors are off of 394's,they bolt on with 3 bolts instead of 4.i'm working on a remote filter adaptor made out of the stock early oil filter housing choppedmof and tapped for 3/8"NPT-george

13. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Those three-bolt ones are from the '61-4 394's. Even the '59-60 394 still had the 4-bolt ones unless I'm mistaken. Pretty sure, I'll have to double-check.

(I've tossed out one piece of bad info once before about dipsticks switching sides in '63, and lo and behold I pick up a '62 engine with the dipstick on that side as well [​IMG]-- so I think '61 might have possibly been the year of change on dipstick since the '61-2 are nearly the same). Wow, how did I get off topic?

Oh yeah, a machinist's tap guide is what will be needed to tap those holes straight if that's what you want to do. One more thing, I think a friend told me that the spin-on filter adapters do not alleviate the starter interference when switching the starter to the RH side. I'll double-check with him. He also had one that was leaking a little and the guy that makes those spin-on adapters told him that some of the GM threads were rolled different or something like that and that he should try another flange. So I sold my friend three more flanges to play with and see if the leaking goes away. I haven't heard yet if he had any luck. I'll check with him on both questions.

14. Adam F

Adam F

Nori,
    How much did the motor cost you in YEN?

Adam

15. nori

nori

I need this item. [​IMG]

I received some info by E mail .Thank you for everybody's kindness. These were told to me.
    I heard ,"Offenhauser still makes both. Find &amp; Offy dealer &amp; order them".
    and I read it in "rolls &amp; pleats mag #1" too.(16page)
    I can see offy's phone number ther. I want to know web site.

yorgatron , plese check your E mail [​IMG]
    Adam F ,
    I was exchanged only shift knob.
    But this engine lost some parts. [​IMG]

thanks

Attached Files:

16. Rocket88

Rocket88

Nori, you probably still need the stock cast iron piece as well. Those aluminum crossovers aren't the stongest, you could possibly crack it with the engine on a stand. Here's how I have one of mine sitting right now.
    [​IMG]

17. BigJim394

BigJim394

I don't think Offenhauser has a website. I have heard that the olds starter switchover and oil filter plate are not in their catalog, but supposedly they can make almost any part they made in the past if they want to, as they are said to have saved the patterns.
    Marcus was/is an Offy dealer and knows the people at their order desk. You could email Marcus:
    [email protected]
    and see if he could ask someone at Offy.

18. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

Rocket88, I didn't think of while the engine was on the stand, I figured the stand could just attach to the block only. But good point.

I have had several of these aluminum housings and some are thicker than others. The thinnest, lightest, and most fragile ones are the Wilcap ones. I seem to recall Hildebrant ones as maybe also being thin (?) but I've only seen one and it's been a long time. I have never seen the najme "Offenhauser" on one, but I have seen some thicker ones that have no name. I wonder if those might be the Offy ones????

19. nori

nori

rocket88 ,
    >Nori, you probably still need the stock cast iron piece as well.
    >Those aluminum crossovers aren't the stongest,
    >you could possibly crack it with the engine on a stand.
    >Here's how I have one of mine sitting right now.
    thanks your
    yes, I think so,
    pic "switch adapter" is thinly not strong..your right.
    but hard to get, both.
    I need stock lower bellhousing.

yorgatron,
    >nori,let me know if you can use the stock lower bellhousing,
    >i have a spare i can send if you can pay the shipping P.S.welcome to the Rocketeers! -george
    I send money order soon,please tell me know how$$ and your address.

thanks nori

20. yorgatron

yorgatron
    Member Emeritus

i promise i'll find out how much tomorrow,which is monday here.you don't need it to put your engine on a stand though.maybe you should just send me your address and i'll send it,and you can pay me back when you get it? on my honor as a Rocketeer![​IMG]-george