Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds sedan delivery question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AeroMonte, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

2. woodruffo88

woodruffo88

This is a fake! Oldsmobile didn't make a delivery for hauling parts or whatever these people are trying to say, if they were hauling parts then they wouldn't make it an 88 and have the 88 crown moldings with a 303 in it, it would most likely be a 76 with a 6 or straight 8 in it. Anyway it is either a chevy or pontiac delivery. It's not that hard to change the firewall. Also look up chevy and pontiac deliveries and look at the tail lights.

3. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

Jalopnik is running a story about a BMW pickup sort of thing, BMW built it, no plans of ever selling them, just for running around the proving grounds.
    Would that be fake?
    I have seen some pretty strange crap roll of that delivery trailer.

4. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Not a sedan delivery, but something just as cool .....

[​IMG]

5. mickeyc

mickeyc

There is one here in the New Orleans area that belongs to a Olds collector and ex Olds drag racer. I have seen it along with a j2 57 that sported a stick shift on the column that he had at one time.

6. ZZ-IRON

ZZ-IRON
    from Minnesota

I was doing a Olds search when i came across this old thread
    i missed before then to find out this car was right here at the GSTA show
    that passenger side gas door on the car i never would of thought
    to put it there - love this car hope to see it at a future event
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

a couple of other 50 Olds Deliveries are posted also

since the sign said it was a GM parts runner
    it would of been a easy car to put into production
    it's a shame they didn't

nothing like a 50 Olds 88 to brighten my day

7. 1954 rocket 98

1954 rocket 98

here is a few pics of one built by a guy here in ohio. he puts on a big olds show at his place every year.

Attached Files:

8. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

:DSure are a lot of really neat "fake" Oldsmobile sedan deliveries, if you ask me.

9. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

As a member of the OCA, and NAOC, the two national Olds clubs, and all the Olds information that I have read, there were never any sedan deliveries built by the factory. These examples in this thread were built by using Chevy or Pontiac donar cars. One was built by a member of the OCA about 10 yers ago. They definetly make a neat car

10. Damn, wish I'd taken a photo of my ol' buddy, Eddie's [in Wahoo, Nebraska] 50 Olds delivery. He took a very nice 50 Olds 4 door sedan driver and cut it across the A pillars, down the inner rockers and through the inner wheel houses...did the same to a 50 chevy delivery and popped the delivery back half on to the olds cowl/chassis...gave him a complete olds cowl and dash with the chevy floor and top and back....you could not tell it wasn't an olds delivery. He spotted in the Olds green paint to make it look like a well-cared for- survivor. It had the original 303/hydramatic and all the original olds running gear..wish I'd taken a photo before he sold it off.

11. Rocketmanmotors

Rocketmanmotors

This was my Dad's car. It came from New Orleans. They call him Rocketman Randy Heer. If you've seen it, or ever get the chance again look under the car. When my dad owned it, the drive shaft was painted to look like a barber pole. He did it because everyone always wanted to look under the car so he gave them something to look at!

12. Rocketmanmotors

Rocketmanmotors

The car you saw wasn't this one. My dad sold that car and put it on a hauler to go up north. The rear bumper on the car pictured is incorrect to have been the one going up north. The car dad sold has the guards on the bumper. It was a BEAUTIFUL car and yes, straight as an arrow. Also had a barbers pole for a driveshaft! People always wanted to look underneath so dad gave them something to look at!

Randee

13. SUNROOFCORD

SUNROOFCORD

Randee;

Your Dads Car will be on display at the 10000 Lakes Concours on June 2nd here in Minnesota.

www.10000lakesconcours.com

Here are some pictures I took of it when it was in the 2010 GSTA show;

Attached Files:

14. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Just saw a picture of one of these in the current Street Rodder. He is a an article I found that gives a little history of the seven that Oldsmobile built (or had built) . Interesting.
    http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/car-of-the-week/car-week-1950-oldsmobile-sedan-delivery
    “What was interesting about this is that it was built on a four-door Olds ‘88’ chassis, and that’s a bigger chassis,” Flaherty said in comparing the Olds’ 119-1/2-inch wheelbase to the Chevrolet sedan delivery’s 115-inch wheelbase. He also noted that besides the Oldsmobile front doors and the obvious difference with the front Oldsmobile sheet metal, the shape of the Olds’ rear cargo door is different than that of a Chevrolet sedan delivery. Also, the Olds sedan delivery has the one-piece windshield of later 1950 “88” models, while all 1950 Chevrolet and Pontiac sedan deliveries have a two-piece windshield.
    “What I was led to believe, and I have met two other guys in the country that have these… is these were built by a custom coach house for GM in or around Detroit,” Flaherty said.
    Regardless of how they were sourced, Oldsmobile sedan deliveries were unique enough to get identified on the firewalls with an exclusive style number: 50-3771. The “50” denoted the model year, while the 3771 was part of a four-digit sequence that started with “37” for the “88” series. Standard 1950 Oldsmobile “88” four-digit style numbers range from 3707 for the two-door club sedan to 3769 for the “88” four-door sedan; the sedan delivery’s 3771 style number was simply a continuation of that sequence.
    Fellow 1950 Olds sedan delivery owner Jim Spurbeck added that, “These seven [sedan deliveries] were identified by ‘99’, but ‘88’ emblems were incorporated. To produce ‘99’ emblems for seven vehicles would not be cost-effective.”

15. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

16. This car is for sale on here somewhere now......Olds delivery one of 8 or 7 or whatever. Factory made for dealer parts managers or something close. I dunno'....if I can't afford it....I just nod and cruise by. Cool as hell. It's here somewhere, though. Go get it !!

17. This month's issue of Street Rodder November 2014 page 36. LA Roadster show swap meet. Here, there........somewhere.

Hotrodmyk likes this.
  18. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

My brother-in-law has an Olds sedan delivery. He bought it in California back in the late 90's and drove it back to Illinois on the

power tour. All I can tell you it's got a 303, hydro,one piece windshield and Olds dash & interior trim. He was given the story there

were 6 or 7 built also. He bought his in grey primer and kept it that way. Been in storage awhile now but when it's out it draws a

lot of attention. Whether it's factory or not I don't know.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

19. Uh, Olds didn't make the V8 and straight eight at the same time. Chevy isn't even the same wheelbase, so the Olds nose doesn't fit. Etc etc etc etc....

20. oldolds

oldolds

I am not claiming to be an expert on this, but here goes. The floor pans between 50 Chevy and 50 Olds 88's are different enough that it isn't a bolt on swap. Prob best to do it as said before put body shell over the floor, ideally you should have an Olds wagon. (where you finding one?). In fact where do you find a Chevy SD that is good enough to do the swap with? Even 30 years ago they were all pretty much junk here in the northeast.

I have heard the stories about how many were made from 0 to as many as 100. If there were only 7 or so made it seems there is a high survival rate. I did see an Olds SD in a junk yard about 30 years ago. Wanted to buy it, but it was very rough and pop said no.

21. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I just went over the Olds information that I have, and no mention is ever made of a sedan delevery. The gentleman in Ohio that was mentioned was big into the NAOC, and several years ago there was an article about his Olds delivery, and he states that he built it, and was never a production car from Olds

22. Last edited: Sep 2, 2014