Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds Rocket bellhousing question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RoyalCrown32, Aug 9, 2006.

1. RoyalCrown32

RoyalCrown32

I have a 1953 Rocket Olds motor. When I bought this engine it was lacking a bellhousing, flywheel etc. Right now I found me a complete package including a stick shift bellhousing, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. According to the number of teeth on the flywheel (176) this setup is for a 54 and up Rocket motor. I testfitted the bellhousing and it fits except for the lowest bolt on each side (they're about a half an inch off towards the crank). Can I still use the bellhousing?

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Is it a factory bell (cast iron), or an aftermarket aluminum bell?

3. RoyalCrown32

RoyalCrown32

It isn't that heavy so my quess is that it's a aluminum bellhousing.

4. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Well, see if a magnet sticks to it or falls off. If it's aluminum, check for part numbers. Trans-dapt housings had a part number like FE-25 cast into them, and what I'm thinking is that it's not really for an Olds. There was a four speed adapter made for '55-'60 Pontiac engines that bolted to the front half of a stock hydramatic bell housing that looks a lot like an Olds adapter, unless you lay it next to an actual Olds adapter--then you can see the difference. If you find a number, let me know.

5. Southfork

Southfork

Have you got a picture or two you can post of the bell housing? I have a cast iron bell I was told was from an early OLDs V8.

6. RoyalCrown32

RoyalCrown32

The only number on the bellhousing is: 560766 D1.

7. RoyalCrown32

RoyalCrown32

I forgot to bring my camera. But as soon as I have pics I will post some.

8. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

That's a factory bell for the '51 and newer selector three speed.

9. RoyalCrown32

RoyalCrown32

Strange that the bell doesn't fit the engine properly. I thought that most of the early Rocket parts were interchangeable.

10. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

What isn't lining up? All '49-'64 Olds and '49-'54 Cadillac bell housings interchange.

11. RoyalCrown32

RoyalCrown32

I'll try to snap a couple of pictures this weekend to show you what I mean. Maybe I'm mistaken. I'm not very familiar with Rocket Olds engines you see.

12. RoyalCrown32

RoyalCrown32

Here are two pictures. On the second one you can see where the bolts aren't lining up.

Attached Files:

13. Blownolds

Blownolds
    from So Cal

I can't quite tell what you are talking about.

I am under the impression that the bellhousings are all the same. But I am also under the impression that the lower starter housings have some minor differences. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but I can't see why it would if the bellhousings are all the same. Still worth mentioning, I guess. Hope you find the source of trouble.