Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Olds Rocket 303 into a 40 Ford coupe build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by F&J, Nov 9, 2011.

1. csimonds

csimonds

Frank, the new oy is Bad Ass!
    Chuck

2. F&J

F&J

since it's rained for two days, and I don't want to put the 40 outside, I will stick with it through this weekend. I sold a long 10 wheeler to a hamber in England, and it has not left yet, and is taking up almost 2 spots in the building. pic below. As soon as it goes, I will have plenty of room to keep the 40 inside.

Ok, so a late model came in for work; owner is on the west coast for 2 weeks and said drive it a LOT to look for problems......so, I jumped in and went across the Massachusetts line to a very old antique parts warehouse. I started buying there exactly 40 years ago. Just 2 pics of the office, look at the NORS 32-36 dist on the counter; probably dates from 35 because it was remarked in crayon to include 1936 over the original 35 date. I also bought the huge 760-15 new WWW for my 32. I never see this size at swaps. Oh, and look at the chromed Perfect Circle "nude lady" on the lighted grey book desk..wow.

I bought enough brake parts to do both Olds powered hotrods, and I hestitated to use the word "hotrod" there, but did ask about old speed shop bullet mufflers ;). I missed out on a pair last year at a swap that are not a straight through type, and have looked ever since. He gave me a flashlight and we went deep into the first floor level. I found 3 of what I was looking for, one was longer, so the 40 will get a single exhaust, and the 32 will get duals. I started cutting up a 324 crossover before I went there, trying to make the pieces go straight back without sucess. Now, I'll just rotate one half 90 degrees to fit the 303 style rt manifold, to make a new crossover.

There are many buildings on this site, and more of his, around town. One holds 10,000 shocks.:eek:

I wanted another stock 56 olds wheel to mount those tires, but he said I MUST bring a sample, so that was that..

Also one pic showing the top part of Main St in Monson, Mass...hit by a huge tornado this summer, then the hurricane a month ago and now the early wet snow on trees with leaves still on...total never ending trauma there. Pic is of a old mansion just like the one in Hitchcock's "Physco", and it looked like the same setting when driving the other direction. All the backround hills, and also the front yard, were once big trees. I almost missed the turn for rt 32, as It all looked so different.

So, as soon as the brakes and exhaust are done on the 40, I will try to do the same to the 32, also get it running, so I can drive a car next spring. That car is closer to being finished. Well, a few side jobs in between first, though.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011
  3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

When I first went to work in an auto parts store (30 years ago), Walker sold those mufflers under the name "Royal Scot".

4. csimonds

csimonds

Is that NB Pease?
    Chuck

5. AD_NAPCO

AD_NAPCO

This is a great thread, Frank...

I miss having resources around like that old parts house. Reminds me of a little known hole in the wall store my dad used to take me to outside of Springfield, Oregon. Last thing I bought there in the early 90's was NOS wheel cylinders for my 3/4 ton Chevy pickup. I think I paid something like $25 bucks for all four. I know it couldn't have been much more than that because I was about 17 at the time and minimum wage was $4.25 so I didn't have much cash to fool around with!

6. F&J

F&J

Good to know, if I need more someday. I did make up the crossover pipe today, and put on the single longer one, and a temporary 30" S bend tailpipe to see how it sounds. So far, it's quiet...and I like it that way. These are very heavy gauge metal so they will never rot out on the shells. Not sure if it has just perforated baffles or if there is fiberglass packing. I was thinking about this single exhaust; I think it's fine on a small cube, low revving motor with the tiny 303 head ports. I'll leave it single unless I use the 56 heads on a rebuild. I plan on running a quart of diesel fuel in the oil, and add a PCV for now to see what happens.

Yes, I forgot you did mail order, otherwise you would recognize the pics. It's very rare for him to let anyone look inside the buildings, or behind the counter. But holy cow, it's like the old days at Hershey Swap meet in there. Beyond words..

In the morning, I will do the master cyl kit, new front hoses, and front cylinder rebuilds, to get some temporary front brakes. and block off the rears. I bought a kit for the pitted master, only because i need some brake right now, but I want a power manual booster and cylinder later in the build.

Also, that one gallon can must have had a flake of dirt, because something is blocking the main jet on one venturi now...and it skips on one bank if you go off idle to mid range. Quick fix I think. Geez, I have new inline filters but didn't use one. That will teach me.

7. sunbeam

sunbeam

Wilcap still sells their adapter check with them for the part.

8. F&J

F&J

Just got the other big side job at noon, so I need to stop on the 40.

Here's what I did Saturday and this morning:
    I took off the crossover pipe to finish the welds I could not get to. It came out nice, meaning I can get it off the car OK, and it is leak free and fits nice.

Then I fixed the carb on the car. Easy

Then I rebuilt the master cylinder, blocked off the rears because something is crunching in the left rear, and then tried to rebuild the front cyls.

But the front cylinders are not 40 Ford because the big side is 1-3/8". Does anybody know what they are from? They fit perfect, same hose, same everything..???

So I found a spare 1-1/4" 1940 front cyl and rebuilt it, and now I have ONE brake, which is fine for moving it around the yard. Heck, I even drove it up to the house for a coffee break:rolleyes:. Geez it runs so nice and steers great.. love the way it's working out.

Finished so early today, that I wanted to mock up a fender. Depending on where the car is parked on unlevel ground, it still is a bit high for me. But I don't really want a bunch of modifications. Not sure yet.

I really like the large OHV 8's in a 40, because the motor is right up there to see :)
    Maybe no hood? I don't know. My son loves Bob Juliano's 40/41? hoodless pickup with sbc tripower, but you have to get close to the nose to see the chrome air cleaners. That motor sits much lower, or/and is just a lot shorter I guess.

Edit, ....I noticed today, that the oil blow by is getting much less.

Attached Files:

9. Probley Pacific Auto Supply, bought lots from him in the 50s/early 60s, our shop, "Van's Auto Truck Repair" was just across the street from us,or possibly Knechts, about the same location east of Springfield.

10. 1-3/8" would be a later front wheel cylinder '42-'48. Seems like all the current replacement wheel cylinders are 1-3/8" also.

11. F&J

F&J

Good to know. So, did they go bigger on the master in 42-48? Mine is stock 40 at 1-1/16".

12. They stayed with the 1-1/16" master as far as I have seen.

13. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

a humble recommendation: If you think you might ever run the hood, fit/ adjust the hood to the cowl FIRST, then fit the fenders and grill.

14. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Like what your doing. Okay not exactly the same. Olds in 40, Cad in 48. but almost. You work kinda like me. Keeping as much stock '40s '50s as possible. Not sure if I read your intent with the 40. A complete restore after everything is fit in or just drive it un-restored.
    I have a friend in Ct. with a finished 40 Ford Coupe. Not sure if he is a hamber or not but if you email me I'll forward it to him. He might be able to help you out with some things.
    Gary

Oh yeah you can get the front down a couple of inches easily by manufacturing and installing some longer shackles. So easy I can even do it.

Attached Files:

15. F&J

F&J

Thanks for some possible leads in Ct.

I didn't have any plans for the car, I just wanted to try the old time way of the Olds into a stock Ford. If I use it, it will need redo of everything from ground up. I'd use it as a non-long distance car, and it should be fun. I wish I started with a clean survivor, but I will deal with what I have.

It seems strange to now have a car that I can drive out of the work bay each day to do other jobs. Sure beats pushing.

16. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I like you didn't have any definite plans for my 48 when I bought it a few years ago. It's more fun that way. I just wanted a '50s style car. Just go to a swap and see what you can find that you can use. Last year I found some '48 Lincoln gauges that I made fit the Ford dash. They are a lot nicer looking than the Ford gauges.
    Keep it up and keep posting.
    Gary