Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Olds in a 39 Ford

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by indianapolisracer, Jan 26, 2019.

1. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Last year I mistakenly posted in the Ford Barn asking for suggestions about installing a 1953 Oldsmobile engine in my 1939 Ford Deluxe coupe , wow did I get some great responses along with a few negative comments about staying off their PURE Ford Barn so the moderator removed all of my post ,I guess it was O.K. to discuss how to add hydraulics to the Fords or Ardun heads ect but no engine conversions unless its later Flat Heads . I did like the comments from many who really enjoyed describing their adventures in early hot rods so now I am on this site , lets roll !

2. oldsman41

oldsman41

Yeah they get a little off kilter when you talk like that. Anyway hell yeah go for it and put up a build thread.

BigO and mgtstumpy like this.
  3. Do it. You ‘ll love the results.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

BigO likes this.
  4. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

We like old timey hot rods here... here’s my 40 with a 331 caddy [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

5. oliver westlund

oliver westlund

6. Torchie

Torchie

I had a 54 Olds in the custom truck in my avatar.
    Not just for Hot Rods....LOL
    Torchie

BigO and Stogy like this.
  7. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

My 1939 Ford Deluxe coupe was a hot rod in 1962 when my high school pal Jim Black bought it in Robinson , Illinois for $300 . The car was drag raced at George Field , Illinois where it turned 102 in the quarter mile . It had a 303 Olds engine adapted to the 39 transmission with Lincoln gears and flex tubing exhaust . Love that car but he sold it to a local girl Gayle Snivley who only kept it for a few weeks before she sold it to a local John Farris who removed the Olds and reinstalled a flathead and that's the way I found the car many years ago . I played with it that way and then decided to reinstall an Oldsmobile 303 engine so I began the quest of locating all of the bolt in conversion pieces to reinstall the Olds just as it was in 1962 . I now have every thing ever made to adapt the Olds including a set of NOS Fenton exhaust manifolds . I have the correct starter changeover to adopt the starter to the passenger side of the engine , some have suggested putting one of the light weight mini starter in place of the original heavy starter , undecided about that .I do have a light weight aluminum flywheel but it was suggested the Olds likes its original heavy metal flywheel and I just purchased an original NOS flywheel along with a NOS Shieffer 11 inch pressure plate , the only part lacking was the transmission input shaft extension which I ordered last week from Ross Engines in Ohio has not arrived yet . Will begin the swap in the spring , fun fun !

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  8. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

9. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

What a beautiful conversion , what transmission do you run ?

Stogy likes this.
  10. mickeyc

mickeyc

Good move dealing with Ross. I did when I had an Olds in my 40.
    Excellent products and great to deal with. Tony is most knowledgeable
    concerning Olds and others types of motors as well.

saltracer219 and nochop like this.
  11. ZZLEGEND

ZZLEGEND

I remember discussing this with you on the Barn also. That was a good read. It was all good till the old lady's got involved. Keep at it. I will be following this thread. Still have my 58 olds 371 tri power engine with the 38 cad lasalle trans behind it. Still looking for an old ford to put it in.

Paul, Clay Belt and kidcampbell71 like this.
  12. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The transmission is the stock 40 Ford 3 speed

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

13. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have told this story before, but I believe it bears repeating. In the early '60's, a friend of mine bought a '39 Ford Standard 2 door sedan in incredible original condition. We bought an Olds motor from Carmichel's junk yard and the adapter plate and motor mounts from J.C. Whitney. When we tried to put the engine in the car, we found the starter (in it's stock location) wanted to to live right where the steering box was. We ordered a starter "changeover" casting, again from J.C. Whitney. When this arrived, we installed it, and the found that the oil filter wouldn't fit. At this time, I told my buddy that we now needed a remote oil filter fitting and went home. He ordered the adapter plate, but nothing else and installed it on the engine. Since he didn't have a remote filter, he put pipe plugs into the adapters ports. I got a call later that he had gone down to the local high school parking lot (which was deserted because this was the middle of summer) to do some burn-outs (performance testing), and after a couple, the engine just quit. I helped him pull the engine and drop the pan; the bearings were blue. He sold the car a week later.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    504640, Cyclone Kevin and LOU WELLS like this.
  14. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

15. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

I have the block off plate and remote filter plus my car still has its F100 steering box , remember your story

16. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Love that you can't imagine how many times I have been advised to change transmission

Clay Belt likes this.
  17. Simply beautiful.

Moriarity likes this.
  18. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Depends on how you want to drive it. I have 8 trouble free years on mine...

LOU WELLS likes this.
  19. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

They were pretty vocal but some serious collectors had great comments as well

ZZLEGEND likes this.
  20. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Good enough for me , the only place I go fast anymore at 73 is in my old Indy car on the track

Moriarity likes this.
  21. fatkoop

fatkoop

My kind of guy! I have a SBC with stock trans and rear in my '40. People tell me every day need to change it to something more modern. I like the old stuff! About 100,000 miles later, I think I'm right! Way more fun to drive!

Moriarity and F&J like this.
  22. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

X1000, Tony’s great

23. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Rocket power

24. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The Olds In A 39/40 Is Legendary Across America In Many Shops...Good Luck... 25348459_1945652909092314_229983525738970757_n.jpg

mkebaird, ydopen, ZZLEGEND and 4 others like this.
  25. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Wonderful photo a lot there

LOU WELLS likes this.
  26. I also have a 40 coupe that is destined to get a 303. Have not got to that point yet in the build but it is a part of the plan. I have the hydro still attached to it and will probably go with that. Slow moving build thread in my signature. I will watch to see how you do yours.

Sent from my SM-J327V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

27. 1941coupe

1941coupe

I put a 303 olds in my 46 merc, I got the adapter and flywheel clutch and pressure plate from wilcap out in ca. got mini starter from tony at ross racing clears steering box, there was a guy on ebay selling hurst style motor mounts but not sure if he still does

Attached Files:

LOU WELLS, Moriarity and triumph 1 like this.
  28. indianapolisracer

indianapolisracer

Thanks , I have every thing unsure about mini starter , I have the motor mounts

29. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

303 & Hydro in my '36 Ford K.jpg ZA.jpg

30. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

303 & '48 open drive column shifted in my roadster . DSC05189.jpg DSC05189.jpg img0790eg.jpg