Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Olds F88 project...sort of

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 56oldsDarrin, Dec 17, 2010.

1. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

I really love that 54 F88 show car (someone else has a thread) and I have been thinking about building my own for years.
    I have this parts car, and well...
    what do you think?
    I built a model in a 3dsMax class at school, I have never taken on a project this big, but I have seen some pretty inspiring things here on the HAMB.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  2. JimSibley

JimSibley

Super cool. get a sawzall, welder and go to town......

3. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

Nah...I'm not sure I'd tackle building that car from a "real" steel car. The amount of shortening, sectioning, chopping, reshaping, probably doesn't make it worth the time and effort (Ask Fritz....he tried to build a steel version of a Roth showcar, and finally just built it out of glass)
    You'd be better off taking that Olds frame, shortening it, and then building a fiberglass body around it. You can us the traditionally apprived Roth "spitball" method of body building, or a more modern approach of a light wood framework, and foam, carved to shape, and covered with glass (supposing it's a one-off, and you dont' want to build a mold to do multiple versions.
    Marty Martinez, out of Va, built the Pontiac version of the Vette showcar, the Club-De-Mer, this way. I think there might be some good info about it on Still Runnin', the internet magazine. If not, contact Leah, who runs that site, she is a friend of Marty's and can fill you in with what it takes to do one of these.

4. Naa...do it in steel. It really omes down to your fab skills and sheetmatal talent though...

5. sololobo

sololobo

Steel is real--here is an example---~sololobo~

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  6. Wow! I like that!
    [​IMG]

7. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

I really respect the Ed Roth method, but with the doors and stuff, I think steel would actually be easier.
    The theory is not to copy the F88 show car, but sort of "what if".
    The shortened body ends up being about the length of a 78-86 GM A or G body car. Swapping the sheet metal onto a running Cutlass (or cousin) would make things alot simpler

8. Looks like a cross between a Thunder Bird and a Corvette. But if I had to decide between the two it would be a hard decision so you are about to create the best of both world's.

Neat looking 3d model.

9. Tinbasher

Tinbasher

Get into some Metal Fab. Class's. You'll find it easier to build the panels then cut and weld the original body. Maybe start from the cowl, windshield and floor pan. Then build from there.

Anyway go for it. We all have a dream. JP

10. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

That Sololobo car is super cool.
    Did I see a build thread ??

11. Anderson

Anderson

Go for it! I like the concept. Needs a front bumper though.

12. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

Man, this got lost quick.

13. flamin01a

flamin01a

Anybody have pictures of the Papoose, built in Atlanta? 55 Pontiac with unborne calf interior. I saw it at the car show, then later on Peachtree St, same day I saw the ZOT cruising Peachtree!

14. ***Area-51***

***Area-51***
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Ohio

Way Cool!....if you have the skills, discipline, commitment to finish...I say "Go For It!"

15. texoutsider

texoutsider
    from Frisco, Tx

Use an early Vette body shell, go from there...be way ahead.

M.

16. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

hey if your going to cut that car up let me know i can use some parts off that......the idea you have looks pretty cool....................john

17. Hairy Olds

Hairy Olds

A little off topic- this 1957 F-88 is being built near me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. raidmagic

raidmagic

Great concept and nice 3D drawing but I'd rebuild that car you have there, it's super cool.

19. koolkemp

koolkemp

Go for it!! I think it would be really coll, and I agree with doing it in metal, I think it would be a really fun project!

20. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

Not Off-topic at all, That thing is amazing.

21. Would be a lot of work to stitch back together, but guys have done that stuff on here before, if your welding skills are up to par, go for it. I'd round up a 4-door to cut up rather than a 2-door hardtop, though.

And I'd suggest a more traditional Olds front end look, like the actual F-88, you'd hate to go through all that work and have someone see it from the front and think it's a T-bird.