Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds donor, 50 merc hotrod... driveshafts, awesomeness, and mistakes

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stutz, Mar 14, 2010.

1. So i went out hunting parts yesterday going after some riprap cars and the like. I know of hundreds of cars lining the river banks and keep a pretty close watch on parts that I may need someday. So after looking back through my photos and racking my brain, I remember one car that could help me. The car in question is a 54 Olds 88 4dr. Out of literally 10 other 54-56 olds cars this is the only one still with the driveshaft and rearend intact, and conveniently its upside down.

I am after the driveshaft because I put a 56 olds rearend in my 54 Buick... thus eliminating the torque tube and making it possible for the 401 nailhead/th400 combo to be used. The thing I kinda was worried about, instead of just having a driveshaft made was that the olds rearend has a flate yoke plate, and I wasnt sure I could get those trunnion bearings for the U-joint.

So I went out and got the whole driveline. Awesome. came out smooth and headed back to the shop. I get to the shop and damn it.... one of the trunnion bearings (excuse me if that isnt the right name) was gone. Apparently as I tromped thru the tall grass it fell off. SHIT!!!

So we went back and looked everywhere. No where to be found.

Does anyone know if I can get re-manufactured trunnion Bearings for the rear U-joint on the olds rear. I know they were also the same as cadillac of the same vintages. Picture of one below.

Heres the other cool thing. I did a whole post in the Wyoming HAMBers social group about this car. Quick history for yall. real live 50's hot rodded merc. It was (in its hayday) lowered, nosed, decked, shaved, black with gold scallops and was notorious around sheridan way back before I was born. When I first saw it several years ago, It took my breath away. I knew nothing of the car but here was a merc half buried with a FULLY PINSTRIPED DASH. Like I said its been a few years since the last time I saw it and I wanted to up date my photos of it... its kinda hard to see but here a some pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  2. Heres the dash a few years ago. I need to save it before its gone.

3. opps here the photos

4. ok here goes another try...

Attached Files:

5. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

hey stuz, i looked in my hollender and it looks like the whole center chuck assy fits 53-56 olds, im not sure if that helps but maybe you can find one with a more broad span of years. i also tried to find in the hollender if the pinion mount, trunion, can be interchanged but it dont break down that much in parts. hope this helps............john

6. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Ya got to think, where was the car and what did it look like when the owner was getting the dash pinstriped. When it was done him standing back looking at it and thinking, "Damn that looks good"'

7. T. Scott

T. Scott

not sure on the bearing but kool story !!

8. 56oldsDarrin

56oldsDarrin

I got mine at NAPA, came with the u joint. but that was awhile ago.

9. I'm gunna hit up NAPA tomorrow with that hope in mind.

10. Thanks john. Would have been nice if I hadn't lost the damn thing in the first place huh!

11. ponchopowerd

ponchopowerd

nice find i have a creek a town away thats like that, about 20 plus cars its behind a junk yard, the old man would push the cars over the edge of the bank to stop it from washing away

12. Here is a quote from the Wyoming Social Group History post I did. This was all I know about the car. Still trying to find photos of it.

13. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

shit happens, ive done that a whole bunch my self. have you tried callin fusick? they might have them, i know they have a ton of nos parts in stock................john

14. Hotrod7

Hotrod7

Man, that dash transcends "cool"

Go save it and hang it on your garage!!

15. Who? and how do I find them? :)

16. alright merc guys.. we had been talking about digging that car up but I dont think its gunna happen... its way too buried. soooo.... I need a step by step of dash removal so I can save the dash. please and thank you!

17. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Nice find! PM'd you; I need some parts off that Merc for my project.

18. Those parts you are talking about are pretty well F'd. in about a month if we get our normal runoff, this little fucker sits in about an inch of water. Ill look but its a rust bucket

19. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

www.fusick.com they are one of the biggest oldsmobile resto parts place......