Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds Cam questions...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 29hotrod55kustom, Nov 19, 2009.

1. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

first off, i have an obsession with Engle because when i first started getting into traditional cars and looking at my old mags, alot of my favorite cars were running Engle cams, and their ads always struck me as bad ass, especially the ones with the stone-woods-cook cars in them. so in all i really have a fascination and i know there are, were, is still cams that perform just as well, blah blah blah, i wanted an original Engle.. i dont see why thats such a problem, its no different than guys that only do roadsters, or guys that will use strombergs.. i prefer and wanted an Engle.

i know im stubborn. i didnt wanna let go of the idea it might work.. but dont worry, yall beat me into submission. just decided to give up and find a 56-58 engine to build.

my fiance just decided to give me her rebuilt '60 389 pontiac to use in the model A till i finish the motor i want, the way i want it.

2. panic

panic

If you change the center to center distance of the crank and cam weather it be closer or farther apart that will change the timing of the cam from one bank to the other with a certain cam on any V type engine no matter what the bank angle. Think about it.

I have, since about 1964.
    It doesn't have any effect.
    You're talking about the effect of moving the tappets up as well, and their angle doesn't have to change - it's done to improve the pushrod angle.

3. panic

panic

i have an obsession with Engle... ...why thats such a problem

I didn't say obsession, and when your response is "why that's such a problem?" - lost all interest right there.

Have a nice day.

4. Ron In the SHOP

Ron In the SHOP
    BANNED
    from california

panic is correct in reply within post # 63

we are getting off the original subject........

mctim and PANIC,

a "raised cam" setup within a popular small block chevy or big block chevy still maintains the original lifter bore bank angle.......same cam.
    the less popular known combinations will have different skew or bank angle...but as said, generally not popular....example is a 1980's era buick V-6 and later the SB2 / SB2.2 andnow even the latest "cup engine" offereings..

as you know, the 354 chrysler and 392 block LOOKS the same, but the cams lifter bore bank angle is different.
    and in many of the various chrysler hemi 426 type "deravitives" built by untold number of different replicators, such as donovan,KB,BAE,johnson, JP, FONTANA, ARIAS ....you name it,...the lifter bank angle can be many different variations.
    each block will use the commensurate cam lifter bank angle....

.......time for a new topic.

5. Ron In the SHOP

Ron In the SHOP
    BANNED
    from california

post # 59 is thus WRONG...

...the lifter bank angle and the proper cam that is in that block does not change....

6. 73RR

73RR

x2

7. CGkidd

CGkidd

Tony, You just have to much cool crap.
    29Hotrod55kustom: I might be able to come up with a block. It will need to have the mains redone cause my buddy lost one of the main caps. I do already have a spare main cap for the block. Check around your area to see if anyone can bore the main caps. Due to this engine having two different size main bearings I was told you can't hone them. Someone correct me if I am wrong on this. I don't want to feed any wrong info.

8. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

hey CGKid, could you PM me with more info on this, does it have heads and a crank or is it a bare block?

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I may have a complete '56 324

let me check my pile

10. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

thanks paul, let me know

11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

pm me your phone number,
    I'll call you when I get home tonight

12. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

if any one knows of a relatively complete 56 324 or 57/58 371 let me know!

13. I confused. If he wants to run a "real orginal" Engle cam and he has one, why not do as others have said. Send it to "Engle" and have it ground to fit. The only thing needing grinding is the diameter of the journals,,,right?

If he thinks findong Olds parts is hard,,LOL,,he should try a MEL.

14. Sixness

Sixness
    from Cen Tex

Back in 1952 the hot setup (cheap) was to put the 1949 cam in the later 303's. I don't know what the difference was but sure made more power. Back then I had no interest in WHY. Now I would like to see the specs. on the early stock cams ????

15. 29hotrod55kustom

29hotrod55kustom

well its not just the journals, all the lobes, gear, and flange at the face would need to be made smaller as well.