Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Olds 371 numbers & info?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Smack021488, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Smack021488

Smack021488
    from Chicago

8B69030E-FA22-48D4-8D15-D2A00B0787BD.jpeg I am cleaning up a olds 371 I have and want to run. It’s looking pretty decent and just want to run the numbers but didn’t seem to find any info on the block number.

Block number: 578929

I guess I’m just wondering if anyone knows anything about the numbers. It had a 4barrel on it and my J2 tri power intake will fit in it also. So I’m just assuming it’s a 371 I would just like to narrow down what exact year and if you can tell what model it came out of.
    Thanks HAMB guys

2. squirrel

squirrel

look for the stamped number, I think it's near the top of the block, on one side below the head, might take some searching.

3. might be on the DS at the center exhaust port under the head. Should be a tab there with the ID #. What is the head number cast in the head at the center exhaust area just below the valve cover?

4. dan griffin

dan griffin

The 57s are all the same no matter how many carbs it has. 58s are same except the front main bearing.

5. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

[​IMG]
    The engine number will identify it as well as casting numbers
    Flywheels:
    • Oldsmobile 1949 - 1953 (303) - 145 teeth
    • Oldsmobile 1954 - 1960 (324 + 371) - 176 teeth
    • Oldsmobile 1961 - 1964 (late 371 + 394) - 176 teeth
    303 and 324s are internally balanced, external balancing started with the 371 in 1957.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

egads likes this.
  6. F&J

F&J

Just adding here as I see two things that might help some people who find this thread in the future.

First is that there are several different 61-64 stick flywheels, and one is a smaller diameter with 166 teeth.

The other possible error I spotted was the engine serial number letter code listing for 1956. The late Don Wow posted letter charts over a decade ago on hamb, and his charts give only A code for 1956. My research has me believing that the A code was on the "new for 56" Jetaway A/T, and V code was Standard trans as well as the older Hydramatics. The latter found only in the base model 88, and not used in S88 or 98.

I did own a 56 base 88 that was V code and had the Hydramatic, but I've just never been able to find a 56 Jetaway car to confirm Dons list that shows A codes in 56.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  7. triumph 1

triumph 1

This is my V code 1956 324 block that came from the factory with a jetaway auto.[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

mgtstumpy likes this.
  8. F&J

F&J

Thanks for posting that. Is there any chance you ever looked at the back of the crankshaft to see it is drilled for the standard trans and Hydramatic bushing? (which are the same BTW)

The reason I ask is that Don Wow was a lifelong early Olds guru & engine collector, and I'm not saying that he never made an error, but I now wonder if the Olds assembly line used an 56 A code for a motor with undrilled/unbushed crank? Meaning also, that is there a chance your motor was changed decades ago?

As I recall, his list looked like it was copied, rather than hand typed but I could be wrong about that.

9. Rckt98

Rckt98

Just checked my 56 motor which I pulled from my 98 coupe with jetaway.
    It is on the floor now needing a rebuild before going into my 98 convert project.
    The serial # starts with a V.
    Russell

F&J likes this.
  10. Paul

Paul
    Editor

four or five digits following the V makes it a '54
    six digits following the V makes it a '55
    seven digits following the V makes it a '56

as far as I know all '54 through '56 engine stamped codes started with the letter V

edit:
    I only have two '54s and one '56 engine right now
    they all originally had automatics behind them, all with the V prefix
    I have had in the past stock stick engines of those years that I'm sure came with the V prefix too

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    mgtstumpy and F&J like this.
  11. F&J

F&J

Well, that proves Don's list was wrong for 56 engines. I know I have reposted his list maybe 8-10 times on different ID threads, so I will try to find those and edit them because some of them, I did mention the 56 V code as non-Jetaway which is a further error.

Last 56 question I have is has anyone had a 56 crank that was not drilled? I'll look in a1957 dated Olds parts manual to see if they list one there.

12. triumph 1

triumph 1

No problem, I am close to assembly after a complete tear down & rebuild. The crankshaft was not machined for a pilot bushing I had to have that done. I’m very confident this was an original factory set up when I picked it up. It had 50k on odometer, original rad. Hoses, clamps etc...here’s a pic of the engine when it was complete. IMG_1684.JPG

F&J likes this.
  13. triumph 1

triumph 1

I just discovered another significant difference on my ‘56 block that came with a jetway trans while attempting to install it on my engine stand for assembly. There are 2 less bell housing bolts that I will have to drill and tap. IMG_2334.JPG IMG_2335.JPG

mgtstumpy and F&J like this.