Register now to get rid of these ads!

Olds 1950 drop : flipped spindles or dropped spindles ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zimzimah, Oct 20, 2011.

1. Zimzimah

Zimzimah
    from France

I bought some junk coils to drop my car but I need to replace them now.

I want to install the original coils (good old stuff) and I have two solutions :

- Cut the original coils shorter
    - Keep the original coils and flip the spindles
    - Keep the original coils and install dropped spindles.

I want to keep a good handling of course.

Which solution is the best for you ?

Anyone has already flipped the spindles on a Olds 1950 or equivalent ?

Here's my actual configuration. The lower arm is in contact with the bumper. Can't ride like that.

http://imageshack.us/f/94/img00950201105252256.jpg/

Thanks for your help.

2. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Those spindle supports could be flipped (look the same as Ford/Mercury).
    But it's not just a matter of flipping side to side. They have to be bent to achive the correct camber angle. I prefer this method as it allows
    full stock suspension travel.

3. Zimzimah

Zimzimah
    from France

I agree with you. It's mechanically speaking more logic.

I will check this week end if this is possible or not.

There's an eccentric set up for the camber, I hope it's still functional when you flip the uprights which hold the spindles . This means the thread has to be the same diameter at the bottom and the top.

If anyone has already done this, please post or contact me.

I'll keep posting.

NiCO

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  4. Before you get to far into this project take a close look at the King pin angle. Ask yourself why is it like that? Now flip the upright and look at it again. Now ask yourself what is that change going to do to how this car handles. Also, what is the change in the tie rod angle going to cause? You can heat and bend things all you want. So what I'm saying here is do some home work first then ask yourself if your going to be happy behind the steering wheel when it's all done.
    These flip the uprights story's have been around for ever. It's not Apples to Apples.
    The Wizzard

5. I don't know about Olds on Chev's the 53-54 uprights will drop the 49-52 1 3/4 inches

Attached Files:

6. leaded

leaded
    from Norway

Flipping the uprights would give you a VERY low front end, nearly laying on frame..... But, the camber issue...wouldnt be solved without heating, and bend right! And without, you got a shitty comfortable driving... They cant be adjusted enough. Best sulotion, with comfortable driving... buy lowered upeight from Fatman, or some other...