Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Old Yeller in Australia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BobbedT, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Today I had a day off work so I could attend the Tasman Revival at the Eastern Creek Circuit west of Sydney, NSW. The last car I expected to see there was Old Yeller, still rubbing the "tea baggers" up the wrong way. Thanks Ernie you made my day. I'm the dodgy bloke sat in the car by the way in the last pic.

So if anyone wants to see this famous old Rogue raced in anger, the event is on tommorrow & Sunday

Attached Files:

• oy.jpg
      oy.jpg
      File size:
      67.3 KB
      Views:
    • oy2.jpg
      oy2.jpg
      File size:
      79.9 KB
      Views:
    • oy3.jpg
      oy3.jpg
      File size:
      56.5 KB
      Views:
    • oy4.jpg
      oy4.jpg
      File size:
      60.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  2. Neglected Legacies

Neglected Legacies
    from Nor Cal

There was a place in Florida that sold old race cars back in the 60's - they had (an) old yeller, some maseratis, listers, ferraris, you name it - they were undesireable and cheap back then...

3. G'day Bob, good to see Ol' Yeller 2 out here. Are you going back out over the weekend? If you do please say g'day to Ernie and Elaine for me.

4. Adam F

Adam F

Cool! Is it coming down South?

5. Jimmy, no unfortunately, as I'm at work today & tomorrow will be heaving with people, & costs shit loads more to get in. Yesterday was pretty low key with lots going on without the crowds. Ernie & Elaine did talk about you & your trip to see Chucks car at Pebble Beach, very nice people they are.

Amazing to see it alongside the mega dollar cars, a car built by a Hot Rodder made from junk & cast off parts & still being competative. All the welds & dings are still visable, its a righteous old workhorse. My defination of a true Hot Rod.

Max - Ernie's doing ya proud!!!

Adam I doubt it as I think they're only here for the event, then going home.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2010
  6. belair

belair

Nailhead magic....

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Just wonderful. You guys are pretty lucky. Too bad a few (hopefully not all) HAMBers have the habbit of looking down their noses at "sporty type / road racing" hot rods. I just love them. Gary

8. Ernie is a cool dude and a car guy through and through. He and his wife are truly gracious people.
    Here are some shots from Laguna this year.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Candy-Man

Candy-Man

Max Balchowsky of Old Yeller fame....

Carol Shelby was one of his very early drivers.....

Awsome piece of history, Old Yeller II....

10. Gary, I love the sporty/road race Hot Rods as much as the Lakes cars, the Old Yellers (all of them), Duff Livingstones Eliminator & Phil Paynes special, to me they are the epitome of what a Hot Rod stands for. Built for peanuts compared to the European thoroughbreds which are what they were up against.

Its like when Art Arfons the backyard builder went up against Craig Breedlove & his Corporate backing. Hot Rod inginuity is where it all comes together & sometimes prevails.
    Max Balchowsky - what a legend

11. Retroline

Retroline

Great stuff Bob, let me know next time.
    Thanks for the pics.

12. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Very cool. I'm diggin' the Old Yeller pedal car in the pits too.

Doc.

13. John in Oz

John in Oz

That is great, the history, man that must have seen a lot of different tracks around the world.

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Indeed... if I get a chance to build another car, a streetable (2-seat?) version of a car like Duffy's 184 is at the top of my to do list. I might even use a coupe body and call it a GT car! Gary

15. Max & his road race special

Attached Files:

• max.jpg
      max.jpg
      File size:
      50.8 KB
      Views:
  16. Firefly

Firefly

Yep, managed to check it out and meet Ernie and Elaine when they were last here in New Zealand. Simply great !