Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Old wheel refresh...recommendations

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boxcar's 1928, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

Pulled this cool wheel from a 60 Lincoln Mark v Continental yesterday... Pretty cool overall.
    Any recommendations on how to brighten up the old white plastic part of the wheel? I've clean it a little but believe there's some embedded mold within the surface.

Attached Files:

2. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Have you tried bleach? Ive had good results with Soft Scrub.

Boxcar's 1928 likes this.
  3. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

polishing compound

4. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser can also yield surprising results with relative ease.

5. Squablow

Squablow

I use buffing compound on steering wheels and have had really good results. I like Wizards Turbo Cut just because it smells good and is fairly gentle but anything like that would work.

6. I worked on a tutone steering wheel and the white looked very similar to the one shown, I tried to get it back to a pristine white with all sorts of cleaners and tried 600 sandpaper. it didn't do the job.

I ended up sanding the white and sprayed with rattle can epoxy, it still looked good the last time I saw the car. HRP

7. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

While most/all of the recommendations were focused at a surface cleaning method...my wheels issue was that the stains and mold had set into the plastic. I ended up submerging the wheel in a 1 part bleach with 3 parts water solution for 12 hours. While the chrome is shot...I'm very happy with the result. All the stains leached out of the plastic. Will probably apply some sort of wax or ? To seal the surface before I wrap up. Used a trashcan lid to set it in. I also have a split in the wheel to repair. May require a little paint over the repair to hide it...but I'd like to avoid painting the entire wheel if able.

Attached Files:

Just Gary and egads like this.