Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Old Walker Radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Pewsplace, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I just had my Walker radiator gone through by an excellent radiator shop and because it was built
    in 1986 I wonder if I shouldn't purchase a new one with a more modern core. Mine is a 5 core and has always worked fine with a high horsepower engine. New radiators from walker run $1000 for the A/C one so I thought I would save some money by reconditioning this one. The radiator shop told me this one will work fine but I would like some opinions from the members. Thanks!

LOU WELLS likes this.
  2. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

There is more to a radiator than just the core, check for stress cracks in top & bottom tanks.................................

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    LOU WELLS likes this.
  3. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

The original radiator in my ot 85 3/4 ton Jimmy is still working fine.

4. Fordors

Fordors

Looks like you already answered your own question - an excellent radiator shop said what you have will work fine.
    I'd run it and either put the money saved into the car a different way or buy something nice for your better half.

Pewsplace and Hot Rod Nut like this.

5. Your radiator man will tell you is there is any problems,there are a lot of cars running around with 85 year old radiators,the copper/brass are easy to repair. HRP

LOU WELLS, Pewsplace and olscrounger like this.
  6. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Thanks, I am going to give it a try. The radiator man said the tanks were perfect as was the core. I may say an extra prayer before driving the freeways.

7. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Trust the quality of Walker and the reputable radiator shop. It's "traditional" to recondition a radiator (and other pats) and not do the modern day process of replacing everything with new parts.
    It'll probably be fine. Just keep a close eye on it during the first couple hundred miles.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  8. My radiator on my 56 Buick Station wagon was totally clogged .I took in to a tiny shop in town and the guy cleaned it out for $50. Never over heated or leaked.Bruce.

9. CruZer

CruZer

Mine is a Walker 5 core and I've had the top tank fixed; I put a fan into it;had that fixed and it still works great. My radiator man told me never to get rid of it.I'll never get a new one as good as this one.
    Years ago I sent one back to Walker for a rebuild and they did it for free and actually paid to ship it back to me. Good people and good equipment.

Pewsplace likes this.