Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old V8 60 Powered Roadster Johnnie Parsons ?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Deuce3wCpe, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

I saw this V8-60 powered roadster at Stan Betz' shop some years ago and took these pics in the alleyway. If I recall Betz told me it was built by 1950 Indy 500 winner Johnnie Parsons. Besides the cool engine and Eddie Meyer accessories the other thing I remember is the striping or the flames or both were done by "The Baron". There was a small "Baron" signature on the car and I had a close up photo of it at one time but can't find it now. I believe Stan eventually sold the car back to someone in the Parsons family who wanted to preserve it.

Anyway... cleaning out the filing cabinet and thought some HAMB members might like to see the pics..comment, make corrections etc. It was almost 20 years ago so my memory may be sketchy. Maybe somebody knows where it is today.

IMG_0020.JPG IMG_0022.JPG IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0024.JPG IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0028.JPG IMG_0029.JPG IMG_0030.JPG

RMR&C, Tall t 26, rwrj and 6 others like this.
  2. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

Wow, look at that mill......damn

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Parsons did a lot of early racing, including Midgets - so, V8-60 would have been right motor for him 20200114_103159.jpg

badgascoupe and Deuce3wCpe like this.
  4. rooman

rooman

The car was here in Brownsburg a few year back but I think that it was in transit on its way to Speedy Bill's collection.

Roo

tractorguy likes this.

5. Deuce3wCpe

Deuce3wCpe
    from New Jersey

That's interesting thanks. I checked the Speedy Bill website but don't see the car in any of the gallery photos. Might still be waiting restoration.

6. rooman

rooman

I think that it may have been at Jerry (Weeks) Baker's shop on the northwest side of Indy at one point as well.

Roo

7. Tall t 26

Tall t 26

That is an awesome piece of history. Like it.
    Thanks for sharing

8. speedshifter

speedshifter

Appear to be single venturi carbs on a Eddie Meyer manifold. What are they from? Greg.

9. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

'26-'27 "T" coupe- cum roadster body... not a ton of them out there, and with a 60 motor they should be able to find its new home...

10. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

There was some information on that car in the Rodder's Journal some time ago - in one issue they published a photo of it, and then a few issues later the current owner wrote in with more information. I believe it was ultimately sent to a shop to be restored. I think the owner is Johnny's daughter or granddaughter, but I'd have to dig out the issues to be sure.

edit: it was in RJ issue #45.

11. cool.......maybe it will show up at the Racer Reunion here locally............