Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Old unilug spoke wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rickhz, May 25, 2014.

1. rickhz

rickhz

My '60 Seneca came with a set of wire wheels which use a unilug design that I have never seen before. It uses an eccentric lug that threads over the stock lug. The eccentrics then need to be lined up for the wheel, which has over size holes, to slide on. The lug nuts are oversize to accommodate the adapter lugs.

My question is what brand wheel used this setup and what is the vintage?[​IMG]

2. They look like True Spoke or Appliance wire wheels.

Both were extremely popular back in the 70's. HRP

3. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Appliance, and with that uni-lug system you will Never get them to run true. It just flat didn't work very well when the whole deal was new.

4. True Spoke.. 15X7ReversedTS1.jpg

Appliance... HRP

Photo0446.jpg

5. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya they are Appliance. I hate to be as negative as I sounded earlier about the lug system, but it does suck. The eccentric pieces can take the wheels from 4 1/2" pattern to 5" pattern just by turning them. The problem is setting them up so the wheel runs concentric. Tru-Spokes at least as far as hot rods were concerned out sold Appliance I'd have to guess about two to one back in the seventies mostly BECAUSE of the uni lug system. Someone was working on a method of replacing this system here on the H.A.M.B. a couple of years ago, but I honestly can't remember who it was.

6. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Not for that exact wheel, but years ago I made some inserts that I pressed into the wheels to make them hubcentric - could you do something like that to keep them running true.

7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I had my Cragar SS wheels drilled and fitted with a solid machined plug by the local wheel works with single bolt pattern as multi-fit are not approved down here. Been on the road for years now without issue.

8. rickhz

rickhz

Thanks for the responses. After looking at the photos I can see that they definitely are Appliance wheels.
    They are a PITA to setup just to get the wheel on, but I never noticed any vibrations or anything that would indicated the wheels were not running true. It's hard to imagine how it could run un-true since the lug adapter is a tight fit into the wheel.

9. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Screw up a new set of tires, and you will imagine it next time

10. rickhz

rickhz

The tires that are on there are nearly worn out and have no sign of imbalance. Shouldn't there be cupping?

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If they were out of balance but even worn out they may not be out of balance. Two things can cause cupping though, out of balance or bad shocks.

12. 51fordshoebox

51fordshoebox

yes good old appliance roto lug design, the original lug adapters were a pain, there is a place that is repopping them, but its a billet slug that slides into the lug nut hole on the rim. they come in either center drilled or offset depending on your bolt pattern. I believe it was Gorilla lug nuts that was making them

13. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

Yep, Appliance Plating. Also called "FineWire's" and /or Roto-Lug. Lot's of them still around. Running a set on a 57 Pontiac for the last 15 years and outside of being a PITA to change / remove/ install a tire / wheel, never had a problem.

14. Mark Wolthuis

Mark Wolthuis

I know this thread is a few years old, but I'm hoping one of you guys will pick up on my post and revive it to help me out. I have a set of Appliance 50 Spoke unilug wheels that I'm trying to put on my 5 x 5 bolt pattern Cadillac. I sourced some of the Roto lugs and washers (more like bushings) made specifically for Appliance wheels, but the diameter of the part of the washer/bushing that inserts into the unilug slot is 0.85 inches and the diameter/width of the unilug slot is 0.75 inches. I'm pretty sure that they are Appliance wheels based on the patent number stamped on them. Is anyone aware of a narrower diamater version of the Roto lug washers that still maintain a 1/2 inch internal bore in order to still fit the lug bolts?