Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Old U joint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by pyro3256, Aug 26, 2019.

1. pyro3256

pyro3256
    from OKC

17671ED3-D55D-4CB5-A446-2A8A09D54874.jpeg So I’m not new to the automotive hobby, but I don’t have a lot of experience with something this old.
    Recently acquired a 1929 International “six speed special” 2 of them actually.
    Any way have some worn out universal joints. Any body recognize this style joint?
    Where to get parts, or method to repair?
    Machine and Bronze sleeve?
    Thanks!

2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

First thing to do is clean it up and locate and measure the wear. Machining the trunion area on a u joint is difficult, as it’s so hard it has to be ground , in most instances. Machining the trunions to undersized also will weaken them.
    I have repaired old u joints in a pinch before by putting new needles in the old cups. Would not recommend for high speed applications.
    If you u joint is real bad, I would recommend cutting them off and welding a more modern joint in its place. ( have a machine shop do this) That is unless you want to keep the old look. ....just my two cents.

Bones

3. squirrel

squirrel