Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old trailer yields nice parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mramc1, Feb 23, 2010.

1. mramc1

mramc1

So last night I randomly find this ad on my local CraigsList for an old trailer for $40. I looked at the pictures and had to have it. So in the dark, in a snow storm, I roll up, hook up, and drag home my new score. It consists of an upside down and backwards Model A frame, '42-48' axle, spring, and wishbones, and '36-'39 wide five wheels. Not too bad for $40!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Josh Quick
    Quick Speed Shop

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  2. johnboy13

johnboy13

Good score, Craigslist is friggin' sweet.

3. damn! that is cool! I look at that and think of the dude who built it and how happy he was with it when done, I'll bet he worked that trailer crazy.

4. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

Just wait until you push the snow around inside. There's a flattie resting there.

5. '54Caddy

'54Caddy

I recently found a nice old "trailer" on craigslist aswell. The 1948 GMC truck bed i've been looking for, decent condition (for new england). A little bonus underneath, a nice drop axle that someone neatly welded the spindles to keep the wheels strait. I havent figured out what year/model it came out of, i'll post some pics if i can dig it out of the snow. All for $75

6. Wow! you just never know until you look.

7. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Good eye ..... nice score.

PACO

8. rainh8r

rainh8r

Lots of trailers were built using Ford front and rear ends nad frames-they're a great source for axles, spindles, wishbones, brakes and wheels. Pickup beds were the choice for many to go on top of the frame, and they are usually in better shape than those on the trucks. Always look under an old trailer.

9. Kustomkarma

Kustomkarma

I have been looking for an old trailer on CL for months. When I do find them, they are either Harbor Freight cheapies or way overpriced. If I had found the same trailer you did down here they would want $300.00 - $400.00 for it. Congrats on the score!

10. We had one as a kid with Spoke wheels and the ford logo in script, you triggered the memory ! It was dads but the neighbours used it too funny how we forget and remember

11. MarkzRodz

MarkzRodz
    BANNED

I actually placed an ad on CL,, looking for such trailers, but got no replies.
    That things been pulled backwards for quite a while,, did it take off all the accumulated original miles? Kinda like turning back an odometer! Great find.

12. mlagusis

mlagusis

that's how i got my rear end and rear wheels for my 38 I'm building. 40 banjo and 16" wheels. Also got a mid 30's front axle with spindles and hubs and a early 30's rear end along with some 16" wires too. All for $50. The guy even loaded it in my truck with a back hoe. One man's junk is another man's treasure. As my Grandpa would say, "good junk."

13. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

There is a guy near here that has a flawless 1932 frame made into a trailer for a small fishing boat. It's been sitting behind his house for at least the last 40 years, never moved. Tongue welded to the front and the rear suspension is origional '32 complete with torque tube. when I discovered it I offered to build him a new trailer for the boat in exchange for the '32 one. No deal, he just wasn't interested. I've been back about 20 times and it's still there. The last time the old guy couldn't even get up to come to the door. His daughter (who is at least 60) says he just can't let go of anything and talks about getting the boat out and going fishing. I'm 65 so the waiting game is really getting interesting.

14. nutajunka

nutajunka

Found a 56 chevy stepside bed and back half of the frame like that once. The bed was perfect, I asked the guy where the rest was and he said scraped it, was totalled with 11,000 original miles.

15. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Show up with a nice replacement trailer, a fishing pole, a gas can and a six pack. Even if you don't end up with the Deuce frame it could be fun.