Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old Time Philadelphia area Hot Rods + drags

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Goldy, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Goldy

Goldy

Been a while since I posted, so I wanted to update the story on the 134 AA/Fuel Coupe. Ted Brine had the car transported from washington state to Pittsburg Pa. where he lives. Going over the car after 24 years of hibernation he filmed the first fire up since back then. First it is started on alcohol then switched to 75% nitro. Here is the link; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT8_ZtjoZn4

2. Goldy

Goldy

We will be taking the 134 AA/ Fuel Coupe to Epping New Hampshire for the New England Hot Rod Reunion on September 12, 13 and 14. We are looking forward to meeting HAMB members, so stop in and say Hi.

Here is a link to and old video of the #134 making a run at Maple Grove Dragway's 25th anniversary race in 1987. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTU5glq5yvA

3. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Small world! I met Huck today at a nice car show in Roxborough put together by the Roxborough Ridge Runners Car Club.

I don't remember this car which was also there but I was told it was local and you can see "national record holder" in O/S

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Goldy

Goldy

We met a lot of you guys from the HAMB last weekend at Epping New Hampshire. Here are some pictures and links to videos of the #134 Fuel Coupe taken at the New England Hot Rod Reunion on Sept 12, 13, 14th 2013. Although this coupe now resides in Pittsburg, Pa. it was originally built in the Philadelphia area.

[​IMG]
    Ted Brine on the right and Goldy on the left enjoying the New England Hot Rod Reunion!

[​IMG]
    All suited up and ready to burn some of that nitro !!

[​IMG]
    This picture was taken at the Eastern Nostalgia Nationals at Englishtown in 1987.

Video links below
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZxsI1_QLcc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exsKJDatoLA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nN80Yxx1ZlM (Preview)

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/38763911

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  5. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Ted I am happy that now you have both of your old cars back where they started.

Best of luck and what a truly inspiring story.

Congratulations.

Jim "Jimbo" Hill

6. tedbrine

tedbrine

Hi Jim - how are you? Great to hear from you. Here's one from this past weekend at the Pittsburgh International Dragway "Reunion" held at the former Keystone Raceway (now Pittsburgh Raceway Park). That's Mark Becker (L) and I firing up the old coupe as part of the show.

Attached Files:

7. onelowc10

onelowc10

Hey guys, I was looking for some stuff about the old time drags coming up and found this thread.I live in Pemberton nj and was wondering if anyone remembers the Sutton Speed Shop 6cyl powered Camaro from atco in the 70s.I grew up hanging out there cause in lived across the street and have a lot of memories of Dave Sutton sr. Or Rich Laramores precision automotive machine shop that was a few houses down from there.I think he built everyones engine in the area.

8. Mark T

Mark T

Oct 5 - Nostalgia Drags

Oct 6 - Philadelphia Modifiers Yesteryear Drags

9. Goldy -any pictures of this roadster? this car is one of the cars that sparked my interest in hot rods and the Philadelphia Modifiers car club when I was a kid

10. Goldy

Goldy

HotRodSurfer , Sorry but I don't have any pictures of Russel's 27 T. I am sure that the Modifiers have some pictures of it. Check with them.
    I rode around in that car a lot back in the day. One of the Modifiers owns that car today and takes it to some events. If you see the car, check out the 671 blower, it still has Goldy's Racing stamped on it and still going after all these years. I would guess that I clearanced the blower correctly almost 50 years ago, ha ha.

11. thanks goldy i did see the car a few years back at the Road Angels show and I did see that stamped on the blower

12. Goldy

Goldy

Hot rod surfer; I talked to Marwin (chop36) who is in the Modifiers. Should you want to see the Russel Sift 27T roadster you can pm Marwin. Goldy

13. GOLDY YOU ARE THE MAN!! I just joined the modifies car club a few weeks ago ! so I will get in touch with Marwin! thanks again goldy

14. Goldy

Goldy

Hot Rod Surfer, that is pretty cool that you have joined the Philadelphia Modifiers. There is a lot of Philadelphia Hot Rod history in that club.
    I noticed that your avatar has changed to a picture of a 46 - 48 Ford coupe. Is this coupe your new ride ?? Here is a picture of the 48 Ford coupe that I had when I was in high school. I started out with a flathead but I changed it over to a 322 cu in nailhead Buick engine. I ran it in B/gas in 1961 at Hatfield.

The picture was taken in front of Martin's Auto Repair at Limekilm Pike and Central Ave in North Hills, Pa. That was where I worked after school. Sorry that the picture is so fuzzy!

[​IMG]

Here is another picture taken in the driveway of my house on North Hills Ave.

[​IMG]

15. 48 ford, gonna do it 50s Hot Rod plan to lower the front end a bit -warmed over flatty with chrome reverse wheels I still have my truck too

16. Hi guys, cool thread! Dragsled told me to give you a try on this thread. I'm looking for any history or information on this old flathead dragster. The picture was taken at PID (Pittsburgh International Dragway) sometime in the 60's. My good friend saved the car right before it was going to the scrapper. Most of the parts are still there except motor & tranny. Anyways, he would like to restore the car back to its former glory. NOBODY from the Pittsburgh area seems to know anything about the car so, we're thinking it may have been from a different area. The car was found about 30 miles outside of Pittsburgh in Greensburg Pa and is still there now waiting for info and history so it can be restored!

Dustin

17. Goldy

Goldy

Dustin where is the picture??? I am personal friends with the starter/announcer from PID. I can ask him - need pics!!

18. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383346930.500322.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1383347019.738217.jpg

Might help if post pics! If they're huge, sorry! I'm posting from my phone. I know Jim Senkewitz also Goldy. He's a great guy. I emailed him the pictures then he emailed them to all the PID guys....... Nothing. I believe Bill Truby took the pictures. He usually did.

Dustin

19. pnevells

pnevells

Hey Goldy,
    Good to see you today at the Vargo reunion, great old cars and friends
    my son and I are having a blast with the altered since we finished it,

Attached Files:

Goldy likes this.
  20. Goldy

Goldy

P Nevells, That altered that you and your son built is spot on nostalgia. I really like the car and the yellow color is awesome.

21. Goldy it was really good to see you today......stop over some time to check out my 48

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. Jeffv8

Jeffv8

Dustin,

That's is where the guy that I got my woody Gilmore from bought it from. In Geensburgh. Jim S has sent all his contacts pics of my car, and it seems nobody has ever seen it..I'm thinking its from some where else also.

Jeff

23. Goldy

Goldy

Dustin, I don't recognize the car or the construction enough to suggest a builder. The roll cage appears to be a one off as oppesed to a mass produced chassis. The front wheels look like the first type used on dragsters that came from Army surplus. They were originally for motorcycle side cars (servi-car) and adapted to dragster use. A good find, especially if it has a narrowed early Ford banjo rear. I spoke to Jim Senkewitz and he came up zero also. My advice is to build it for yourself and have fun with it. What matters most is that you have it now!! Good luck - Goldy

24. thePAkid1931

thePAkid1931
    from Eastern PA

Chuck, Russell's roadster is about a half mile from my house. It doesn't see much road time these days.

Andy

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

25. Goldy, thank you for taking a look. I appreciate you looking into it for me. We're not ready to give up yet. Maybe I'll see if we can find some guys from Ohio or, West Virginia.

Dustin

26. sawzall

sawzall

I hadn't visited this thread for quite some time

but wanted to contribute.

99% sure that the 39 chopped chevy was in conshohocken and was for sale within the last year.. I think it is now RED...

Louie's car is still around.. I've seen it somewhere. within the last year.. further proof these old race cars never really go away..

27. Louie's car is still around.. I've seen it somewhere. within the last year.. further proof these old race cars never really go away..
    "Shag Nasty"41 Ford was at the VARGO REUNION Two or three years ago, they honored Louie at that event.

28. Mark T

Mark T

29. Buckster

Buckster

These comments are from a friend who isn't on the HAMB. He is a long time drag racer in the Pennsylvania area. I sent him a link so he could catch up on the old times. Below is his reply:
    God, I remember about 90 % of them, even going back to the days of Allentown’s Convair Air Strip in 55’ & 56’ with the first NHRA Safari and Hot Rod Magazine running the drags and I being just out of high school. One of my best friends had the first conversion in town when he stuck a 54’ Olds in his 50’ Ford sedan. We started to build Bloody Mary in 57’ but before that I was racing my Model A and Charlie Englert my partner in Bloody Mary was running a big V8 Dodge in his 33’ Plymouth coupe. The Philadelphia Modifiers’ My Sin was a popular car back then and one of the first radically chopped coupe in the East. I had seen it run at Hatfield a number of times and remember that Hatfield which was a small paved oval race track that Corvettes at the time, the mid 50s ___ had a hell of a time making the turn in the first corner after the 1/8 mile run. Almost all of them spun in that corner with a few even hitting the fence on the high side. I ran my Model A with a full flathead back then during those trophy days at Hatfield ( it was about 30 miles south of Allentown). They were fun days as in those days when you went racing with an adjustable wrench, a pair of screwdrivers, the needed Vise Grip, a hammer and a chisel and a roll of wire in your tool box. Believe it or not, that was all you needed back then, along with a big set of balls and a bit of ingenuity. Bob W.