Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old Time Philadelphia area Hot Rods + drags

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Goldy, Feb 21, 2013.

1. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

By the way are still looking for this car... raced at Maple Grove same time period as the above pics...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Goldy

Goldy

Modelacitizen ; Sorry, I did not mean to sound as if I was correcting your words when I replied " What do you mean that Maple Grove is not exactly Philadelphia"
    I knew exactly what you meant and just wanted to express just how guys from Philly consider Maple Grove their home track just as much as Atco.

This you?
    [​IMG]
    Modelacitizen, you are the best!! I post that I ran Maple Grove in those days with a 32 roadster in primer powered by a nailhead Buick engine. A little later you PM me with this picture of that very roadster in the lanes at Maple Grove. I don't even have any pictures of that car, --- until now!! Thank you!!!

ps that is my "new" 66 El Camino tow car behind it in the lanes.

3. Goldy

Goldy

Modelacitizen, you are awesome !!! Here is a picture that Modelacitizen sent me of me racing my 32 roadster at "The Grove" circa 1968.

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e5e5e5; COLOR: #e5e5e5" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  4. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

yeah that's a sweet pic. Willy's pickup? what did your roadster turn??

5. Goldy

Goldy

Modelacitizen, Sorry, I don't remember how fast the roadster was that day. I don't even remember racing that Willys. I do remember racing that day because Jungle Jim was there running his funnycar and he was pitted close to where we were pitted. Wow, that was a long time ago! It is amazing that I am still racing after all these years.

6. Goldy

Goldy

Here is a picture of one of the Top Fuel cars that I drove. The "Outer Limits" AA/FD owned by Pete and Anne McKewen from Union Beach, New Jersey. I do remember what I turned in that car, it was 7.50 e.t. @ 197 mph. I got my NHRA Top Fuel license in that car at Englishtown.

[​IMG]

7. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

wow! thats too cool!

8. Goldy

Goldy

NickJT, Let me know if you are going to go to Shadybrook. I can get a chance to meet you and see your 32 roadster.

9. we should have a HAMB meet at shady brook!!

10. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Great idea, guys! Let's stay connected on this idea and make it happen.

11. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Btw Goldy,

I would drive over to meet you anytime you have some slack time and say where it works for you. If the weather is decent I'm usually out driving the hot rod around for hours at a time and you're only 1/2 hour away from home.

12. Mark T

Mark T

Count Me in.

13. Goldy

Goldy

Well here it is, Tuesday night and it is raining!!!! No Shadybrook tonight. That idea of having a HAMB gathering at Shadybrook sounds like a really cool thing to do. We really don't have to do anything special except show up and gather together. Does anyone have a HAMB sign that could be displayed ??

14. lets shoot for tues june 11th I have a HAMB banner -lets meet around 7pm?

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  15. Goldy

Goldy

Sounds like a plan !! I suggest getting there earlier because they wrap things up before dark. Cars usually start showing up just after five. The paved lot right in front of the farm market and ice cream stand fills up quick. Probably the best area for a gathering would be on the grass.

p.s. it stopped raining.

16. check the link below -Goldy I will also be there early -will be in my shop truck-I had a brain fart I am leaving for VA on the 4th hopefully we can do the 11th???
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=805329

17. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

I'll also try to make it on the 11th. The only thing I have pending is to drop it off at a local shop for upholstery work for my seats and side panels but I'll try to work around this date.

18. Goldy

Goldy

Unless it rains, I'll be there on the 4th anyway because I always enjoy shadybrook.. The 11th sounds good for the HAMB gathering. www.shadybrookfarms.com.

Dave Adams Motorsports promoted car shows at Hooters in Bensalem, Pa. for many years. Many Philadelphia Area hot rods attend these shows on the last Thursday of each month of spring, summer and fall. Now those shows are held at Kattie O'Donnells 4501 Woodhaven road, Phila. Pa. -- near Franklin Mills Mall.
    Tomorrow night we will have the sprint cars at Kattie O'Donnells and we plan to push start them so the spectators can hear them run.
    http://daveadams.com/

Last edited: May 29, 2013
  19. THE KUSTOMIZER

THE KUSTOMIZER
    from south nj
    1. 60s Show Rods

Hey Goldy,I know the guy who owns this car now and has owned it since 1969,Its here in south jersey,Heres how it looked when he got it and changed the look over the years it is presently the silver paint job now...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Goldy

Goldy

The last time that I saw the 57 sedan delivery (formerly Doc's Delivery) was when I was president of Eastern States Timing Association. The fellow that owned it was a member and he raced it with us as a junior stocker. At that time it was painted in the theme as "Doc's" with candy stripes on the roof, but it was blue and white instead of red and white, and it was called "Special Delivery".

21. Goldy

Goldy

How many of you guys remember all the crews having mini - bikes powered by briggs motors back in the sixties? Well "Doc" had a mini and I rode it all over the place at the 69 US Nationals. The fact is that I would run that thing a lot faster than the gravel roads in the pits would allow. Sure enough, I crashed hard sliding on the gravel and tore the skin off my left elbow. If you look close in the winner circle photo you can see the elbow with no skin. The drags were so plagued by crashes with mini - bikes they were eventually outlawed. just a little more old trivia!

22. thebrush

thebrush
    from new jersey

Goldy:
    I bought the 57 delivery from Joe at the end of 69 season. He towed it to my house in Northeast Philly minus motor and trans, I STILL HAVE ONE OF THE MATADOR RED AND WHITE FENDERS. I painted the Delivery twice since then and now it is silver. It has a 327 300 Hp 4 sp CR munci and 4.11 posi. I know the only person at the track with the old Doc's Delivery in the last 44 years has been me. After I got it he was going to put the motor and gears in a two door red windowed 57 wagon then I saw an aluminum front end Dodge in his garage (TIGHT NUTS).

Last edited: Jun 5, 2013
  23. Goldy

Goldy

thebrush; How about that, I guess that I was lied to about your car. I wish that I could remember the guys name. BUT, I still have all of the files from Eastern States Timing Association, so I can look it up and let you know who this imposter is. It is not like I only saw him once, he used to run at all of our races.
    Thanks for the update on your 57 sedan delivery. You should be proud, that car was nationally famous. Doc and I were good friends, and yes he did put the Rochester Fuel Injected 283 HP 283 Cu In. Motor in the handyman wagon with a cast iron powerglide for the transmission. When we ran the delivery, NHRA allowed a 4speed locked Hydro because it was classified as a truck. The handyman wagon had to use the powerglide because it was a passenger car. For the 1970 Nationals at Indy. myself and Eugene Jordan towed the car to Indy, classified it through tech inspection and I drove it for time trials. Joe Dougherty flew out to Indy and met us there to drive it in eliminations. We won our class that year too, but got beat by Cal Method in the Jr. Stock eliminator. Cal Method had a 57 Ford with a factory stock Mc Collough supercharger. Doc also set the class national record with the handyman wagon at 13:18 et at 109 mph.
    Don't ask me how I remember all this because I can't even remember what I had for breakfast.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2013
  24. thebrush

thebrush
    from new jersey

Goldy:
    There still is two flat washers hanging from the rear view, do you know the story behind them Joe told me?

25. Goldy

Goldy

thebrush: I don't recall the story, lets hear it !!!

26. Local car to Wilmington, Delaware as it appeared back in the day:
    [​IMG]

How it looks now:
    [​IMG]

Belongs to a friend's father now, really cool guy. My old man knew the original owner, and the car in its racing days. It was a legit 9.60 car back in the 60's, and was apparently street legal. Blown Hemi powered. The original owner had the local PD shut down Philadelphia Pike so he could make some test runs. So he takes it out one time, makes his pass, pulls the lever for the chute, and blows the trunk lid right off the car. He bolted the chute right to the lid!!
    When the original owner modded this car for racing, he saved every piece of fiberglass he cut. When he decided to put it back to original, he glassed the original pieces right back on.

27. Goldy

Goldy

Mr. Sinister: Cool Vette story ! Thanks for the post.

28. thebrush

thebrush
    from new jersey

Goldy:
    From Joe's mouth to my ears The two washers were in the motor after a rebuild and had to take the 283 apart before to much damage to cylinder. He said he hung them from the rear view for good luck. He thought it was lucky he found them on the first start. It must have worked so I left them hanging for 44 years. Is Joe still around? BTW I might be the guy that lettered the dodge.

29. Goldy

Goldy

I have not seen Joe for maybe 10 years. He was living in Roslyn, Pa. the last that I saw him. He ran the "Tight Nuts" Mopar for a while. Then he was runnning a dragster. I never thought that Joe would be a dragster guy, but he was successful at that too. Joe was in the towing business, operating a roll back service when I saw him last.
    Quite a story about those washers, Frank Bash always did Joe's motors back then.

30. thebrush

thebrush
    from new jersey

I knew frank have not seen him for over 35 years I sold some custom made car front tags when Jim the painter worked for him part time on the Blvd.