Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Old Time Junk Yard Photos PIX 1920 to 1970

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimi'shemi291, Aug 20, 2009.

1. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Wow, a fairly rare Whippet near Denton, Texas. Only made '27 to '31. Since
    the radiator badge says OVERLAND Whippet, I'm guessing this is a '27 or '28?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My dad always thought it was funny seeing the oldies with a WOODEN "firewall"! LOL

[​IMG]

There's enough here to build up a decent rod!

2. I used the adblock image blocking option on the oversized '57 image. It removed it to reveal the smaller photo and the subsequent posts.

3. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

Went by the Kansas yard this morning and they have yet another Packard. Don't know the year, but it appears to have A/C and some kind of funky push button automatic trans.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. The Packard is a '56.

5. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

Saw this yesterday while sitting at an intersection, not in a yard... but on a trailer on it's way to the crusher no doubt, 60's T Bird.

[​IMG]

6. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

Saw this yesterday while sitting at an intersection, not in a yard... but on a trailer on it's way to the crusher no doubt, 60's T Bird.

[​IMG]

7. toddc

toddc

I did the same thing. But I still have a black square with an X in it floating over the top right corner of the screen:confused:

8. lord of de scoot

lord of de scoot

Plymouth 1953 & Chevrolet Bel Air Hardtop Coupe 1957
    [​IMG]

Fiat 1100 R
    [​IMG]

Fiat 1100R , Opel Kapitän 55-57 & Bel Air Coupe 57
    [​IMG]

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Resourceful HAMBer RoadKillontheWeb immersed himself in the Kansas City Public Library photo collection site and unearthed these heretofore unseen pix of pastured oldies and an UNPARALLELED auto-wrecker, too! These are from the archives of the Kansas City Journal-Post newspaper and the Kansas City Landmarks Commission collections. He posted these over on the "Vintage Shots From Days Gone By" thread, leading to great discussions to ID most -- THOUGH NOT ALL -- of the subject matter. Lots of fun gab; several GREAT additions for this old-time-junkyards thread, too!

[​IMG]

Sitting in a back-yard scrap heap in, probably, the late-'40s or early-'50s, this cabriolet was ID'd by NitroBrother as about a '32 Plymouth. Wonder if it got saved for a 'rod???

10. iamben

iamben

This is on a 12 acre patch of nothing but cars. They are packed in so tight in some spots that you cant even walk between them.

[​IMG]

11. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Wow, Ben, these don't look picked over, either! Hey, you got any MORE PIX???

12. DJLATIN

DJLATIN

very nice picture.

13. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]
    BamaJama typed this as a 1933 REO. The leafy veil over the radiator, plus the roofline, had me thinking Auburn or Jordan. REO was my third WAG, though Graham had crossed my mind, too. ALWAYS fun guessing independent makes and special bodies, eh? Now, this is NOT a Royale, and the Wolverine had been discontinued. So I'd guess it's a Series S Flying Cloud L-head six of 85-hp and 268-CID five-passenger sedan.

14. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

From the car models, I dated this FANTASTIC wrecking yard at 1920, verified by NitroBrother. Still, WHAT is the WWI-era plane? My WAG was an-American-made Jenny.

15. iamben

iamben

From the same yard. This guy has some neat stuff.

[​IMG]

16. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

That cabriolet in post 1334 looks like a '35 Ford to me.

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

33Fordor, I'd originally typed it as a '35 cabriolet (also thinking FORD). Thanks for restoring my faith in my ol' eye!

18. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

I'm just glad this thread finally made it to the next page, maybe now that '57 Chrysler won't screw it up anymore.

19. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Yes! And THANKS for helping us along a page! I'd contacted the mods to try and get the offending post simply DELETED, but I think they're a busy bunch.

20. Dan Greenberg

Dan Greenberg
    from Parker, CO

Thank You. Here is another I hopefully have not already posted.

[​IMG]

1942 Ford - Delta, Colorado August, 2008

21. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Thanks for posting, Dan! GREAT find!

22. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's something you just don't see often: TWO '51 Frazers! Final year
    for the Kaiser's partner make.

23. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

The oldies we covet today were once just old, worn-out cars
    that nobody wanted. In contrast to modern day, the domestic
    and world steel market could be DOWN for, it seemed, years.
    So, even scrap yards wouldn't buy in cars they couldn't break
    down and resell for any profit. HAMBer LowCat posted this
    cool old pic over on the "Vintage Shots From Days Gone By"
    thread. Any thoughts about when this pic may have been
    shot are welcome, folks. My WAG would be mid-'50s.

24. That's still painful to look at.:(

25. lord of de scoot

lord of de scoot

+1 :(

chrysler windsor 1949
    [​IMG]

26. CUTITUP53chevy

CUTITUP53chevy

27. Another thing I'd like to add to this is as long as current automakers continue producing the unimaginative throw away appliances that are getting more complex for the owner-operator to work on like they have in the last few decades, these old cars will only continue to become more desirable.

28. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

WOW, CutingItUp! Where is this cool yard? And, is that car on the left a Graham? Maybe 'bout '37?

THANKS for the keen posts there, bro!

29. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

30. 33 Fordor

33 Fordor
    from Missouri

I went for a drive in the country down by where my grandpa used to live this weekend. I remember seeing cars in the wooded areas on the way down there when I was a kid, but where I thought they were, there wasn't anything, alot of leaves are off the trees, but maybenot enough yet, or I'm sure something could have happened to them in the last 25 years or so. But I did go by a place that I had been to years ago that looked like an old salvage yard. It turns out it used to be, but the owner passed away and the son had sold most everything about 5 years ago. These trucks are all that's left of the vehicles, but he does still have alot of model A engine parts lying around.

The older guy told me about all the cars he had sold, mostly A'A's, then said he had one car left that he didn't really want to sell. I asked what it was, he said" it's a '32 Ford Tudor in the garage" he said it was mostly complete and runs, but needs interior. I asked how much, and almost fell over when he said he'd sell it for$ 3200. Well, I should have known, since all the other cars were model A's, it turned out to be a 31! Damn, a year off. Oh well, the excitement was good while it lasted.

Did get some pics of the few trucks that were still there.
    [​IMG]