Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old time car clubs you knew as a kid(greybeards)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CruZer, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Iron Angels was a local club who's membership held several NHRA National records in the early 60's. I was too young then to belong to an be active in a club and us younger guys who were in school didn't have our own club.

Back in the mid 70's there used to be a club in the area listed in the club listings in one of the rod magazines. As near as we could figure it had one member all the time it was in existence.

2. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Man only one member ?

3. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

back to the top

4. Juke Joint Johnny

Juke Joint Johnny

Does anybody remember a club from Beaumont California in the mid to late fifties called the "CAMSHAFTERS" ? My Dad (Pat Coleman aka Bandit)was in that club, and I've always wondered if there are any old members besides him still around.

5. Wolfie

Wolfie

Waaaay back when I still lived in Davenport, Iowa, I joined a club in DeWitt, Iowa called the "Romans". That had to be around 1957 - 1958????

Wolf

6. 57tony31

57tony31
    from Woods

A club my uncle was in around 1954 or 57.The one with the hat on.

Attached Files:

7. Del Clark

Del Clark
    from DeLand,FL

Has anyonw heard of the Sleepers on Arcadia CA? I have an old deuce roadster rumble lid with the old paint on it. It was white with black writing.Any info would be awesome!

8. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

The widow makers from orland park,Il. in the late 50s.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  9. Hakoval Traedz

Hakoval Traedz

In Jr Hi and High School I used to wait all year for the Kar Kapades at the Monterey Fair Grounds--put on by the Slo-Pokes. Now I think they're a bicycle club.

10. roundvalley

roundvalley

Napa, Cal. 1955. Still looking for a '32 Ford roadster with '50 Ford tail lights molded in the rear quarters?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  11. turdytoo

turdytoo

Tridents from Long Beach, Lads from Downey, Saxons from Downey, Pan Draggers from Fresno.

12. richie rebel

richie rebel

pittsburgh pa,car club back in the day called the" keystone dragons",all bad ass cars ...richie......

Corndawg389 likes this.
  13. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

14. Richard DeCoste

Richard DeCoste

MercDeuceMan

About your request for information about Modockers Reliability Run, I am about the least likely person to be able to help you, but I do know something. I believe the Modockers Reliability Runs started in 1952. The 3rd Annual Modockers Reliability Run was held at US 31* and Southport Road, Indianapolis*, Indiana*, on October 10, 1954 at 10:00 CST. (* assumed information) I have pictures of this event. These pictures belong to H. J. Weenihoff (spelling?) who made an unplanned stop in Raleigh, NC and left the pictures behind. The picture enclosed is of H.J. Weenihoff and his friend Don O’Brien was taken that day. There are other pictures of the Modockers, their cars, and trophy winners.

If you or any one else knows Weenihoff, I would appreciate your help in returning the pictures to him.

Richard DeCoste

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  15. ol gasser

ol gasser
    from here

The Rebels of Lincoln, My Dad was a member in 1957 to 1960. Dick wells was also a member. They ran on the air strip at Lincoln air force base and formed the Lincoln timing association. Dick started go carting around the same time.All because a kid on a go cart was buzzing back and forth by him . He told the kid to get lost with his junk. The kid told Dick to get lost with his junk which was a 1957 golden commando. So Dick said he could beat the kids go cart and a drag race was set up, The kid smoked the commando in a block long race. Dick was amazed and started a carting association. Dick did a lot. Was glad he was made a honorary member of the New Rebels of Lincoln auto club. But the club is not like it was in the old days.

16. Bullet Nose

Bullet Nose

Was this their plaque when your dad was a member?

[​IMG]

17. one of the coolest ones outa portland oregon in the 40s/50s was the "Multnomah gang" they all had 33/34 ford roadsters all the same color primer Ive heard great storys from these guys from runnin from the cops to street racin,most these guys became firechiefs,judges,a mayor etc.......good to know our "roots"

18. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Back in the 50's I belonged to the "Night Hawks" out of Paramount, Ca.

19. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

Lets bring this topic back to the top....

20. Time Takers, Tillamook Oregon. 1962

21. F&J

F&J

Don't know if posted already but Tyrods Auto Club, Rockville, CT is having the 50 year anniversary party next week. Est 1959

Rockville was Gene Pitney's home town. He was in a different club. I read he had a custom 57 Ford

22. 100% Matt

100% Matt

Whats are the details on the Tyrods 50th?

23. There were "Cam Busters" in the NW when I was in high school ('68-'72). I doubt it was the same club. Mostly mexicans, in their 20s and 30s. I was the youngest member (on record) my freshman year in high school. Pretty good mix of rods and customs.

I don't recall any car clubs when I was little (later '50s early '60s) other the the Bay Area Roadster Club. Used to see the Swanks once in awhile but they were a little south of us and didn't cruise around the Bay Area too much.

24. Danog

Danog

Here in Columbus we had the "Strokers" Rod and Custom. I lied about my age just to get in and be apart of there 40th year party. Have my cast plate some where I see if I can find it.

25. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

In Tulsa, OK it was the Tulsa Roadsters (I may have a pic somewhere) and The Early Rods of Tulsa.

26. ground pounder

ground pounder
    from ontario

my dads car club called con rods out of westhill ontario canada...does any one remember a orange 68 hemi roadrunner called ground pounder driven by danny soaper out of jane an 401 toronto ontario sponser'd by harvey's hambuger

27. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Dont remember the car offhand, but used to hang out down at Harveys a bit.

Show this to your dad.

Attached Files:

28. HEY...I've got one of those:D....
    Oh, that's right....I just recieved it from you:cool:.
    Thanks

29. As teenagers in the early 60's a buddy an I used to hang around a club in Torrington Ct. called the Mill Rockers. They were a bunch of good guys who somehow put up with us. That's what got me interested on hot rods.

30. Probably looked like this one from Chicago Metal Craft:

Attached Files: