Register now to get rid of these ads!

"old style" Baby moon caps

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 40 & 61 Fords, Aug 4, 2010.

1. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Here's a perfect example of the hubcaps!!!!!!

These "back in the day" shots are of the car HAMBer "Randy P" just bought

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Here is the difference a half inch makes. Is it worth it? You tell me. I seem to think so.
    I don't think the question has been answered "does anybody repop the old style. Pictures didn't come through I'll try again.

3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Pictures

Attached Files:

4. wheelkid

wheelkid
    Alliance Vendor
    from Fresno, CA

No one repops the old style. But I could pretty easily with the dies I already have. It's halfway done already. So how much interest is there in the old style for the 40-48 wheel and how much would they be worth new? Would you like them in chrome or stainless?
    Jimmy

5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

If you do make them they should be as exact to the old ones as possible. If there is any difference that anyone can detect some won't want them. Yes chrome. Think I'd probably pay $50 each for a set for my 48 Ford.

6. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

I'd prefer stainless, I had a set of heavy chrome ones that got wizzed on by a dog and in less than a days time before cleaning it had etched the surface. I'd think stainless would hold up better.

7. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Dog urine, strong stuff.:eek:

8. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

If you do use stainless make sure it's thick enough not to dent the first time someone tries to to pop it on. That is what happened to a set I bought for Sacramento Vintage Ford. Dented two out of the four.

9. Stainless, and I would pay 200.00 a set.
    HemiDeuce.

10. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

If they were exactly like the old style, I'd buy a set. Been looking for quite awhile. The key seems to be this lip on the back to tell them from the newer ones. It's flat not rounded.

[​IMG]

11. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

12. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

I like those alot. A few years ago I lost one and had a hell of a time finding some.
    We have a older "Jeep" club in our town and alot of those guys ran chrome reverse
    wheels back in the 60's. Most of the Jeeps had the 5 x 5 1/2 Ford bolt patern. The wheels were the same as us Hot Rodders would use. The Jeepers never ran the hub caps, so I asked around and alot of the guys had the "old" (still new in the box) caps.
    I got a bunch of them. I also found older trailer storage lots and would offer new (shallow) caps for there old pointy ones. Got a few pairs there too.

13. Dave50

Dave50

I like the stainless and would be in for a set. I also like the ones with less depth the smoothie look are thesed cal-custom too?? I like the ones on the green grenade they are perfect IMO

14. Erwin

Erwin

The deuce roadster's in film," Hot Rod Gang" have those pointy moons. If they're currently available, I don't know.

15. OK, now you have our attention, where did you get them? Swap meets over the years, garage sales, Friends, etc, and by any chance are they in Repro?? Thanx from all of us!!!

verde742 likes this.
  16. I would take a set in both, SS and chrome. PLEASE USE THICK MATERIAL, not the Tinfoil currently used!!!

verde742 likes this.
  17. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Currently getting and old set un-dented to re-chrome. After much searching I've found a number of 'em and they are worth looking for. That extra half inch or so makes ALL the difference. Plus I prefer having the original ones anyway.

18. LSGUN

LSGUN
    from TX

19. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

The fact is the caps this thread is about are not reproduced. I've looked too.

But I was able to collect a set from swap meets and ebay. I've bought a few non-ford (chevy) ones by accident because they look the same from the outside.

Attached Files:

20. RyanPartridge

RyanPartridge

Has anyone found repops of these yet?

21. chrisman

chrisman

I found some here on the HAMB, but like so often it's an incomplete set. Still missing two. It's a darn good-looking cap, though!

[​IMG]

22. incogneto

incogneto
    from Australia

I paid $40 for my set a few years ago. Most had a great patina to then. One was slightly dented.

A few weeks ago, I sold some stuff, and when the purchaser and I were moving it, the caps got squashed when the stuff fell.

Placed a wanted advert here, and I have had several replies. Most were the shallower type.

Still looking for a cap to complete my set. Anyone got a cap or two?

These caps are extremely rare out here, as they were all imported, and expensive.

23. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

Check trailer supply places, they should still be able to get them.

24. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

This is correct, because I have a set of current AND a set of Cal Customs from the '70s? and they are very different in shape, finish, and material, nothing like the ones he's looking for. Just look at the caps on the original Kookie car that Norm built - THOSE are the true Baby Moons in my book.

verde742 likes this.
  25. Steel rebel,
    Keep posting you are sure to spell his name right at least one. ;)

I know what he is looking for I have seen caps that are close but no cigar. If he is really trying to capture the era I am afraid he is going to have to find some old ones and have them rechromed like Mr Ganelle (spelling).

By the way I think you got it right in this post. ;)

26. incogneto

incogneto
    from Australia

Here are the caps I have
    uploadfromtaptalk1358718165134.jpg
    And here is a picture of Pat Ganahl's roadster. (correct spelling this time :rolleyes:)
    uploadfromtaptalk1358718373818.jpg

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

27. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

I just got a set from Summit racing for my Kookie car and they and they look great. But cost more now, 60 bucks shipped.

28. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

I picked up a set at O'Riley,s thru Mr Gasket

29. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

Here they are no points .

Attached Files:

• 35.JPG
      35.JPG
      File size:
      176.7 KB
      Views:
  30. alchemy

alchemy

Sorry, not what these guys are looking for.

All these folks who say they are still available at Summit, O'Reilly's, trailer shops, etc. are not paying attention to how the REAL ones look. They have a special shape that nobody is making now.